CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif
THAT, should have made its appearance on this forum years ago.:lmao2:

conner01

Reaction score
NFL average is 3.3 years, so 5 was pretty good.
But yeah, maybe he thought it could be more than 5 years.
He sounds ok with moving on.
Not For Long
There’s a reason that nickname was around
The 3.3 is skewed some because of the handful who have really long careers
Having a 5 year career in the NFL is a huge accomplishment

quickccc

Reaction score
My lasting memory of him is the muffed punt he had to lose a game (or almost lose it) for us his rookie season. I can't remember which game (I wanna say it was the Rams game) but I am still angry about that muff because I think that year we finished one game out of the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. I couldn't help myself I had to go look it up.. It was indeed the Rams game when the Cowboys were kicking the crap out of the Rams up 17-6 and about to get the ball back when Switzer's muff breathed life into them. The Cowboys scored to go up 24-13 on their next drive but Switzer's muff allowed the Rams be sitting at 24-13 when they should have been down 24-6 and in near desperation mode at the half. Bastid! LOL!

I remember hearing from three different media plugs that the Cowboys could not wait to get him off the roster and outta the door.
Behind the scenes Switzer had/developed a diva persona rap, and somehow thought he was 'entitled' here since he was drafted.

Oddly the rumors around draft time was Switzer was brought in to be an eventual Cole Beasley replacement as the club thought Cole
would prove to difficult to re-sign, plus they wanted a premiere punt returner, which Switzer had a great college rep for ..

Linehan tried to use Switzer on jet-sweeps the way he did with Lucky Whitehead, but Swizz was miserably ineffective on edge sweeps, he simply did not have initial burst and quickness to the edges the way Whitehead and Tavon Austin did.

HanD

Reaction score
Who told you that? He's like 6-7 inches shorter than Kupp for starters. The only thing they have in common is they're both white receivers. Their games are not even remotely similar.
Exactly. I can't remember who. It was such an absurd post lol. Kupp is an all around player who can do it all including block at a high level. Switzer, no disrespect is a fringe player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We drafted this stiff in the 4th round 5 years ago and people liked it.

He was gonna add a new dimension to the offense and stuff.
Screw the offense, tell me more about the "stuff"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He'd have to be Warren Buffett or Ken Fisher to have invested well enough to be set for life on 2.6 million in gross earnings.. After Taxes he probably took home maybe 1.5 million. He probably spent a third of that on a house. Which hopefully he had the good sense not to saddle himself with a mortgage on. But he's still going to be paying 7-10 G's a year in property taxes. That's 400 G's right there if he lives another 40 years.. So I think he still is gonna have to work. And coaching is a tough gig when you first start out. He won't make more than 80-90 G's a year (working 80 hours a week) until he establishes himself.
I stand by my statement.
He played for I believe 5 years.
The NFL vest players for retirement after 3 years.
It's all about what lifestyle you are willing to be happy with.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

stinkface

Reaction score
Be interesting to see what the career average is in years for those who were drafted in the 4th round. He's probably about the average at 5 years. This sorta some's up his career.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll have to admit to being pretty surprised he's lasted as long as he did in pro football. :eek:

The impression I've had of him, since the days he played for us isn't overly favorable. o_O

I believe, like many of us, he gave expectations of a foolish mistake about to happen. :confused:

Despite that being the case, let's hope his coaching duties offer him true satisfaction! :)

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I stand by my statement.
He played for I believe 5 years.
The NFL vest players for retirement after 3 years.
It's all about what lifestyle you are willing to be happy with.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I checked and they are indeed vested after 3 years. They have to be on the active roster for at least 3 games to receive credit so Switzer will not get any seniority credit for 2020 and 2021 because he was never active. He cannot receive pension benefits until age 35. And if he wants the maximum he has to wait until 55. I agree that he will be okay so long as he doesn't do anything stupid with whatever money he has.. But I just disagree with the "set for life" moniker. Though I guess our definitions probably differ. My definition is that you never have to work another day of your life and you never have to worry about money. Switzer will have to do both. Yes he is "set up" well for the rest of his life if he manages his money well.. but that's different from "set for life" at least to me. In my job I make a million dollars about every 6-7 years. I have been doing that for about the last 20 years.. and am DEFINITELY not set for life! But my wife is way better at spending money than I will ever be at making it! LOL!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he was the last guy to return a punt for a TD for the Cowboys.
Tavon Austin never did.

Switzer was the last punt returner to have a TD for us. But let’s not forget what a total and I mean total bust he was as a punt returner.

Why? Because he led the league in letting punts hit the ground which destroys your field position. His rookie season, he was dead last in the league at the number of punts he let hit the ground. A punt returner’s FIRST job is to field a punt because it keeps the field position or maybe even improves it with a return. Letting punts hit the ground is just bad football. Switzer sucked as a punt returner. He had one good return and that’s what he’s remembered for.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I checked and they are indeed vested after 3 years. They have to be on the active roster for at least 3 games to receive credit so Switzer will not get any seniority credit for 2020 and 2021 because he was never active. He cannot receive pension benefits until age 35. And if he wants the maximum he has to wait until 55. I agree that he will be okay so long as he doesn't do anything stupid with whatever money he has.. But I just disagree with the "set for life" moniker. Though I guess our definitions probably differ. My definition is that you never have to work another day of your life and you never have to worry about money. Switzer will have to do both. Yes he is "set up" well for the rest of his life if he manages his money well.. but that's different from "set for life" at least to me. In my job I make a million dollars about every 6-7 years. I have been doing that for about the last 20 years.. and am DEFINITELY not set for life! But my wife is way better at spending money than I will ever be at making it! LOL!
Maybe we just have different definitions Ronnie,
I would defitnitly be set for life if I had his financial situation.