Former Cowboy TE, Dan Campbell, to be hired as new HC in Detroit

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I would have been ok with him getting a shot in Dallas if I thought he could handle working with Jerry. That might have been a lot to ask, though.
In Dallas we are stuck with the Jones they own the team they are the GMs and the coaches and as long as they operate it this way no way we are advancing .It is really a serous issue

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Might takes time but he will make them a better team.. the Lions first choice was Detroit native Robert Saleh
I see Detroit fans not happy with the hire

The Detroit Lions have won one playoff game since the Cowboys came into existence. Oddly, it was against the Cowboys.

No wonder Detroit-native Saleh didn't want it. Those are some long-suffering fans up there.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Idk Dan Campbell is a great coach but that franchise just grinds through players and coaches with no real results

If they want Campbell to be successful then please give him 5 years because it might take that long.....even in this quick turnaround era it might take them a lil longer

Right. Patricia was a smart coach though I just don't think he was a very likable guy. Could've just lost the players.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The Detroit Lions have won one playoff game since the Cowboys came into existence. Oddly, it was against the Cowboys.

No wonder Detroit-native Saleh didn't want it. Those are some long-suffering fans up there.
Man you are right you should ready their forums they are skeptical about any move the team does and i don't blame them

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s a branch off Payton’s coaching teee. He was TE coach in Miami for like four years and was Interim HC. He coached under Mike Sherman, as well as a year under Brian Daboll, the Bills OC, in Miami as well as Bill Lazor, whose the Bears OC now. And he was brought in by Peyton to coach the TEs, as well as be ‘assistant HC’.

Not sure if he brings anything innovative to the Lions. Seems like a guy whose success will be completely predicated on the coordinators he picks, because I don’t think he’s calling any plays or providing team input into the offense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s a branch off Payton’s coaching teee. He was TE coach in Miami for like four years and was Interim HC. He coached under Mike Sherman, as well as a year under Brian Daboll, the Bills OC, in Miami as well as Bill Lazor, whose the Bears OC now. And he was brought in by Peyton to coach the TEs, as well as be ‘assistant HC’.

Not sure if he brings anything innovative to the Lions. Seems like a guy whose success will be completely predicated on the coordinators he picks, because I don’t think he’s calling any plays or providing team input into the offense.

There are a good number of successful coaches that fit that bill. You've got your mad genius type of coaches that often are either really really young or look like walruses but you also have your leader of men type guys who trust fully in their coordinators to have good play design.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Right. Patricia was a smart coach though I just don't think he was a very likable guy. Could've just lost the players.
Patricia was a defense guy who couldn't put together a good defense. Likable or not, he sucked.

khiladi

Reaction score
There are a good number of successful coaches that fit that bill. You've got your mad genius type of coaches that often are either really really young or look like walruses but you also have your leader of men type guys who trust fully in their coordinators to have good play design.

I’m not saying it’s possible. It maybe just a personal thing, being influenced by what I’m seeing from the current playoffs with the Rams, Colts, Saints, Bucs, Bills and KC.. These coaches all are basically innovative coordinators on one side of the ball and got another one on the other.

I’m not sure what Dan is bringing unless he can get some really good coordinators.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s possible. It maybe just a personal thing, being influenced by what I’m seeing from the current playoffs with the Rams, Colts, Saints, Bucs, Bills and KC.. These coaches all are basically innovative coordinators on one side of the ball and got another one on the other.

I’m not sure what Dan is bringing unless he can get some really good coordinators.

Look at NFL coach of the year. Over the last 10 years we've seen Rivera win twice. Both Harbaughs and Garrett.

Rivera was never seen as a defensive genius. Lovie Smith call the D during his best seasons. Jim Harbaugh went right from QB coach to the first of several HC positions. John Harbaugh coached ST. Garrett I won't comment on.

None of these guys are geniuses. They all are guys that players respond to.

khiladi

Reaction score
Look at NFL coach of the year. Over the last 10 years we've seen Rivera win twice. Both Harbaughs and Garrett.

Rivera was never seen as a defensive genius. Lovie Smith call the D during his best seasons. Jim Harbaugh went right from QB coach to the first of several HC positions. John Harbaugh coached ST. Garrett I won't comment on.

None of these guys are geniuses. They all are guys that players respond to.

Rivera coached multiple years as DC, including in San Diego. He was DC in 2004 when the Bears went to the SB. The point being Ron Rivera had multiple years as a DC, unlike Dan, who has basically been a TE coach his whole career. He has to delegate both sides of the ball to somebody else. Harbaugh was a scout, a B positions coach for multiple years having plenty of success, improved multiple college programs, went to Stanford as HC and improved it every year. Again, like I said, I'm not saying it isn't possible, not impressed with Dan, whose basically just been a TE coach in the NFL. The way things are moving in the league, it seems like a high-risk, low-reward type of move.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Campbell wasn't really a Parcells guy, per say. I mean, he did play for the Cowboys under Parcells for a couple of seasons. He was brought in by Parcells because Parcells wanted a to bring in a guy who could teach Witten to be a pro. Truth be told, it's probably Sparano and Fassel and Dan Reeves, who had more to do with Campbell's coming to Dallas.