Twitter: Former Cowboy Victor Butler claims to be held hostage by the CFL

Juggernaut

Reaction score
The American linebacker and CFL All-Star has criticized the Toronto Argonauts management for denying him the opportunity to pursue opportunities in the NFL.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
His criticism, which echoes that of his teammate James Wilder Jr, has raised questions about how the CFL treats its American imports.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Does the CFL and the NFL have some sort of legal arrangement. I don't see how they can hold him hostage like this. Pack up your family and come back to the states, retire from the CFL, and sign with the XFL or NFL. I supposes there is something keeping him from being able to do this?

Carson

Reaction score
Does the CFL and the NFL have some sort of legal arrangement. I don't see how they can hold him hostage like this. Pack up your family and come back to the states, retire from the CFL, and sign with the XFL or NFL. I supposes there is something keeping him from being able to do this?

They likely own his rights while under contract. I’m assuming that’s why he is still there

Proximo

Reaction score

I'd be very interested to learn the legalities of that dynamic.

My first thought is similar to yours (just retire/quit the CFL, move to the states and pursue opportunities). But, you have to imagine there's more red tape.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They likely own his rights while under contract. I’m assuming that’s why he is still there

I guess that's the case. There must be something in the contract that precludes him from playing in any other professional league unless he is released from the contract. If that's the case, no player with aspirations to get back to the NFL should sign anything but a 1 year deal.

Proximo

Reaction score

Yea that does sound likely.

Sucks for guys like him. Dudes in that situation (NFL career possibly over) probably agree to a substandard agreement w/the CFL that puts them at a disadvantage, simply because in that moment they're trying to keep their pro football dreams alive.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I thought about him the other day. We had him and he was a beast in preseason. Watched him play for us in a preseason game, 3 straight downs 2 sacks and knocked a pass down. He had the potential to be like Irvin. He should have taken over Spencer’s spot perhaps. They tried to slip him on the practice squad and the saints grabbed him. He didn’t really fit there scheme. Ended up over there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I read about Wilder first and it was a little confusing. It never seemed like the CFL was that restrictive in year's past.

Looks like they got tired of losing players to camps in 2012:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/lack-nfl-option-rule-causing-cfl-players-rebel/

You would always hear about some hotshot, signed about the time the rest of the futures players did and after they fizzled in camp, then they would be right back in Canada playing. But at least they were given the window.

If they were smart, they would go back to the rule. This is just not a good look.

And with a new league possibly competing soon, they might want to start sooner than later.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I had no idea the CFL was in such bad shape. So I feel for Butler in that respect, but he signed the contract. It’s no different than the Commanders holding Kirk Cousins hostage via contract/rules. The main difference is obviously the money. Which is understandable, but a player needs to be held accountable for making the decision to sign the contract. I suspect he didn’t have many options in the NFL, so he had “no choice”, yet now he’s pressuring the League that gave him another chance. I guess it’s up for interpretation.

Food for thought: he surprised the CFL early this season with 8 sacks in the first 3 games. But when teams realized they needed to pay more attention to the ex-veteran NFL player... he had 2 sacks the following 11 games.

Proof

Reaction score
It’s got to be hard making 60k knowing you could be making a million, but man this dude sounds entitled as hell.

"At that point will Jim Popp or the Argos start a Go Fund Me for my family? Is there a college fund with my children's names on it somewhere? Hell, will I get health insurance after I am done? The answer is NO!"

What the hell?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Butler is an idiot. He signed a 1 year contract with another 1 year team option and he is crying to leave. Maybe you should get a better agent when you negociate a contract. He is crying about food and rent with the team while he has made millions in the NFL. Take a hike as I am sick of these people, when some are struggling with minimum wage and have tough time surviving.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I watched him play last summer. Surprised me how well he did. Not sure he can play in the NFL but he at least deserves a chance to prove himself. I hate reading about his struggles and the CFL. That's messed up.

It’s a shame - would def make me think hard about moving up there eh.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought about him the other day. We had him and he was a beast in preseason. Watched him play for us in a preseason game, 3 straight downs 2 sacks and knocked a pass down. He had the potential to be like Irvin. He should have taken over Spencer’s spot perhaps. They tried to slip him on the practice squad and the saints grabbed him. He didn’t really fit there scheme. Ended up over there.
No, he was with the Cowboys until his rookie contract was over.

Playing 3-4 OLB was too complicated for him. He would pass rush on snaps where he was supposed to play the run or drop in coverage.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Uuhhmm...Butler is an idiot.

He signed a contract and now he doesn't like it.

If you think it is an American vs a Canadian thing you are sadly wrong.

The highest paid players in the league are American. If he wants to get paid he has to perform. The rest of the American player playing in the league shut him down.

As for the decrepit conditions in the CFL there are some extremely well taken care of facilities north of the 49th. In my neck of the woods there is a brand new stadium built by the same firm who built AT&T stadium and they patterned it after Invesco Field to create crowd noise at the 50 yard line.