Former Cowboys First-Round Pick Dominates in UFL Win

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
In these types of leagues I like watching them to see who could come out on special teams units.

Other positions may not be the greatest talents, but on a football field, in any league, you can assess things like leg strength despite the level of competition.

I would see these leagues as opportunities for place kickers, punters and long snappers.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The current new league needs to be able to draft players from college just like the nfl, and get some current nfl players.
The evidently dont have the money to do that.

The AFL was able to do that back in the day.

They need some former NFL players, that might get people to watch the games.

I had fun last year watching Dinucci and his team, but denver sucked him up and put him in storage lol.
Crazy, not good for him or Denver.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I had to see it to believe it.

1:58 free path to QB
5:20 bill rushes that awful LT gave Taco a free path on that first sack. If Tack wasn’t getting to him, the other 2 DLs were getting to the QB already.

Michigan’s OL is garbage and that LT may be the worry LT in history.

They must not have thought they had to block him on at least two of the sacks. The second one was the only one where he actually had to beat someone and even on that one, the QB foolishly stepped up when the LT was trying to push Charlton passed the pocket. All he had to do was come back inside the LT.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
BTW, unless I read the jersey wrong, I know we found our kicker in one of these also-ran leagues, but I'd hate it if his name was Blewitt.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The UFL is way below NFL standards. Good for Taco but the competition is probably below what we see in an NFL preseason game with all the guys who will never play in in the NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The current new league needs to be able to draft players from college just like the nfl, and get some current nfl players.
The evidently dont have the money to do that.

The AFL was able to do that back in the day.

They need some former NFL players, that might get people to watch the games.

I had fun last year watching Dinucci and his team, but denver sucked him up and put him in storage lol.
Crazy, not good for him or Denver.
When players sign contracts and then I hear it's not good for them, as if they didn't have a choice it makes me chuckle..

that includes the big contracts of regular NFL players and people say they're wasting their careers as if we should feel bad for them..hmm no way, no once you sign on the dotted line you made your choice... if Mr. Dinucci wanted to keep his development going he would have stayed with the UFL but that's not what players want, the NFL is big time that's where they want to be, even if it is third string and you almost never see the field..

I agree it does stop the growth but this guy made an informed decision to come back he really is drinking the kool-aid that they he thinks he's going to make it in this league and most of us know that he's gonna be a career backup possibly a career third string guy... I mean who knows anything could happen he could turn into a solid player but they were saying this about Mike white just because he played a couple good games and then he fell back to earth... You either have it or you don't it's very rare for a player and at least a first round player like Geno smith.. took 8-10 years for that to develop LOL

in my opinion, you're looking at this backwards, it's not about the UFL trying to compete with the NFL..​
they need to allow players like third string quarterbacks or guys on the practice squad or others if they chose too, to actually have contracts that are dual contracts..​
that can play in both leagues with exception that the NFL gets first choice in using the player ie having the main rights, telling the player you know when they need him and he has to leave immediately and come play.... That is right now I don't think the seasons overlap, so that could really work out, you allow a player to develop by playing like the D leagues and the NBA and use it as a farm system to have similar to baseball who also have the like lower leagues and they could bring guys up and down whenever they need them.... So, a player like dinucci could still play get some insurance on them he can collect checks from both teams but just the NFL having his rights.​

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When players sign contracts and then I hear it's not good for them, as if they didn't have a choice it makes me chuckle..

that includes the big contracts of regular NFL players and people say they're wasting their careers as if we should feel bad for them..hmm no way, no once you sign on the dotted line you made your choice... if Mr. Dinucci wanted to keep his development going he would have stayed with the UFL but that's not what players want, the NFL is big time that's where they want to be, even if it is third string and you almost never see the field..

I agree it does stop the growth but this guy made an informed decision to come back he really is drinking the kool-aid that they he thinks he's going to make it in this league and most of us know that he's gonna be a career backup possibly a career third string guy... I mean who knows anything could happen he could turn into a solid player but they were saying this about Mike white just because he played a couple good games and then he fell back to earth... You either have it or you don't it's very rare for a player and at least a first round player like Geno smith.. took 8-10 years for that to develop LOL

in my opinion, you're looking at this backwards, it's not about the UFL trying to compete with the NFL..​
they need to allow players like third string quarterbacks or guys on the practice squad or others if they chose too, to actually have contracts that are dual contracts..​
that can play in both leagues with exception that the NFL gets first choice in using the player ie having the main rights, telling the player you know when they need him and he has to leave immediately and come play.... That is right now I don't think the seasons overlap, so that could really work out, you allow a player to develop by playing like the D leagues and the NBA and use it as a farm system to have similar to baseball who also have the like lower leagues and they could bring guys up and down whenever they need them.... So, a player like dinucci could still play get some insurance on them he can collect checks from both teams but just the NFL having his rights.​
that is a good idea, if they could still play ufl, and be on nfl team during nfl season.
Dinucci did make the decision, it is more $ too being on nfl roster. They put him on game day roster or something, so he could make
more $ for that 1st year.
I hope payton gives him a chance to play this season.

Part of what I was saying, was about making ufl more interesting to fans.
The games also need to be on free tv as well, and air all the games or make them available for free online.
That is the only way to build a following, and more nfl players would make it more appealing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mazi might be wrecking havoc as the UFL’s premier war daddy in a few years :flagwave:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of teams need camp bodies and then guys get hurt in camp and they need bodies period.
Dallas has had some woeful players along the DL as vet min guys before.

I promise you if Taco averages 2 sacks a game for an entire UFL season he is going to an NFL camp.
He may not make a team or may get waiver wired off to a practice squad but he is a big body at the right price.
Maybe he is just a late bloomer!!! :laugh:

Former Cowboys First-Round Pick Dominates in UFL Win​

The UFL finished up its second week of action this past weekend, and a former Cowboy made an impact. Taco Charlton, who was the Cowboys’ 28th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, had a strong performance for the Birmingham Stallions in victory.

He totaled three sacks in Birmingham’s 20-13 win over the Michigan Panthers. Thanks to his performance, the Stallions now hold sole possession of first place in the USFL division.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=a9b049f1bcb94849a2d3895817cd7d20&ei=22
Everyone knew he could play but no HS teams could sign him
His problems have all been mental.

He had at least as much raw physical ability as DLaw.
- The difference is that DLaw worked very hard on his technique, learning the scheme, etc..

Hopefully Sam Williams does not end up like Taco. SW has been better.

First 2 seasons:
SW: 8.5 sacks in 576 snaps.
TC: 4 sacks in 800 snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for him. Good on him for sticking with it this long ansds good for him being successful albeit at this underwhelming level.
I could see him work his way back into the NFL as a backup DL.
Frames his size are hard to come by.
Charlton just a month shy of 29 & 1/2 years old...It's a slim possibility he shines enough during this inaugural UFL season that some NFL team might bring him for training camp.
His last couple of years in the league was not good.
He spent time with:
Dolphins
Chiefs
Steelers
Bears (5 games played in 2023)

27 games played with Cowboys.
33 games combined with other teams.

conner01

Reaction score
His problems have all been mental.

He had at least as much raw physical ability as DLaw.
- The difference is that DLaw worked very hard on his technique, learning the scheme, etc..

Hopefully Sam Williams does not end up like Taco. SW has been better.

First 2 seasons:
SW: 8.5 sacks in 576 snaps.
TC: 4 sacks in 800 snaps.
The hardest part of evaluating players isn’t about determining talent. It’s heart and desire and that’s hard to judge. Though I would say there were signs with taco. Williams has so much speed and quickness that if he puts in the work he can be a star player. Hopefully he has the desire to be what he’s capable of being

shabazz

Reaction score
TACOS_4_U.0.gif
Spreading seeds of greatness to the two other All Pros