Former Duke point guard Greg Paulus getting a look in the N.F.L.?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Former Duke point guard Greg Paulus getting a look in the N.F.L.?

DD.comment: It's been obvious to us for a while that Paulus was not going to project as a big time N.B.A. prospect, so we figured he might want to go back to football at some point. But since athletes have 5 years to play 4 years of any sport in college, we wonder why Greg wouldn't consider playing for Duke's football team next season? He's used up his basketball eligibility, but he should still have one season of college football eligibility left. Might be better to do that, than trying to jump to the N.F.L. having not played football since high school.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Duke basketball fans stung by the team's early exit from the NCAA tournament last month may have a rooting interest in the NFL draft.

PFT reports that the Packers have worked out former Duke player Greg Paulus.

Paulus concentrated on hoops under Mike Krzyzewski, but he has a football background. He was the Gatorade national player of the year as a high school senior in 2004.

Posted by Sean Leahy at 12:37 AM/ET, April

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He definitely should have gone back to Duke for a 5th year and played football. I am wondering if, since I would imagine Green Bay paid for him to fly in and workout, he has lost his NCAA eligibility? He also could have considered going to a top Division II school (Delaware?) and playing 1 year.

As of now, if he is serious about a future in football he may have to play in that new 4-team league or Canada for a few years. He was definitely a talented QB in high school. He was ranked pretty high and had offers from Notre Dame, Florida, and other top programs.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Paulus played 4 years at Duke. If he has only 4 years of eligibility in any one sport, then he couldn't go play football there or anywhere.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You have 5 years of eligibility..since he hasnt played football at all, he would still have 1 year left. He cant play basketball anymore but he could play any other sport at Duke for 1 year.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
you have 5 years (4 years playing, 1 redshirt year) to exhaust your eligibility from when you first start at a Division I school. If you had serious medical issues the NCAA may grant you a 6th year.

In Paulus' case, he has been at Duke for 4 years (clock starts running once your freshman fall semester starts) and has not played football so he still has that 5th year if he chose to play football, baseball, run track, or any sport that isn't basketball.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2729825 said:
you have 5 years (4 years playing, 1 redshirt year) to exhaust your eligibility from when you first start at a Division I school. If you had serious medical issues the NCAA may grant you a 6th year.

In Paulus' case, he has been at Duke for 4 years (clock starts running once your freshman fall semester starts) and has not played football so he still has that 5th year if he chose to play football, baseball, run track, or any sport that isn't basketball.
Paulus didn't redshirt. He played 4 years of basketball. Thus his 4 years are up.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
My last time trying to explain. He has 5 years eligibility in any Division 1 sport at Duke. He has used his 4 playing years of Basketball up. He could still play 1 year (left over from his 5-year running clock) to play another sport.

Now, Duke doesn't have to give him a scholarship for that extra year(my guess is they would). He would have to carry a full load (usually 4 classes) and pay for tuition and books.

Gregg Guenther did this at USC a few years back and other athletes have done this in other less-publicized sports. D'Vontrey Richardson from Florida State is one year younger in regards to his baseball eligibility than his football eligibility.

NCAA Bylaw 14.2.1 memoralizes the "Five Year Rule" which gives student athletes 5 calendar years from the date they start in college to complete their eligibility "in all sports". Within that 5 year period, you may not engage in more than 4 years of competition in a specific sport, but there is no limit in the number of sports than an athlete may participate in within that 5 year period.

Bigdog

Reaction score
just fyi, he played high school football at CBA in Syracuse. I think he was a qb. His younger brother plays for the NC football team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bigdog;2730027 said:
just fyi, he played high school football at CBA in Syracuse. I think he was a qb. His younger brother plays for the NC football team.

That's right. If I'm not mistaken, ND was recruiting him hard. He almost went to ND but decided to focus on BBall and so, picked Duke.

I also believe that SoCal may be right on the 5 years thing.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2731282 said:
That's right. If I'm not mistaken, ND was recruiting him hard. He almost went to ND but decided to focus on BBall and so, picked Duke.

I also believe that SoCal may be right on the 5 years thing.
They were talking about this on Mike & Mike this morning... and it does appear that Chris's interpretation of the 5 year rule is correct.

My apologies Chris.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Anyone have a scouting report on Paulus as a QB? Been a long time since he was being recruited to go to ND, I forget his strengths.

RESIN8

Reaction score
He should stay at Duke. David Cutcliffe is there. The team became more competitive when that guy showed up.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He already spoke with the Duke coach who said Duke already has their QB (supposedly a 3-year starter). The Duke coach said he could play slot receiver at Duke but Paulus has his mind set on playing QB.

Michigan is actually a smart move. Rodriguez likes mobile, quick, and smart QB's (Pat White) and I think Paulus can provide those qualities, assuming he can shake off the rust.

I was never a Paulus fan at Duke but I like these kinds of stories. I'll be rooting for him.

dmoore

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2731705 said:
He already spoke with the Duke coach who said Duke already has their QB (supposedly a 3-year starter). The Duke coach said he could play slot receiver at Duke but Paulus has his mind set on playing QB.

Michigan is actually a smart move. Rodriguez likes mobile, quick, and smart QB's (Pat White) and I think Paulus can provide those qualities, assuming he can shake off the rust.

I was never a Paulus fan at Duke but I like these kinds of stories. I'll be rooting for him.

I'm not sure if Paulus could win the Michigan job even with how awful their QB situation is. His best bet is to go to a lower level team and hope he can show enough in a year to make NFL teams want to take a look at him. He made the wrong choice going with basketball, but it's hard to blame him. How many people can say they were starting PGs for Duke?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
dmoore;2731715 said:
How many people can say they were starting PGs for Duke?

Just look up and down Coach K's bench. Almost all of his former PG's are assistant coaches. Not much in regards to NBA stars. Chris Duhon is doing okay and I know Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams were hurt in vehicle accidents/injuries.

I would think if I'm a white, 6'2"ish, top rated QB and top rated Point Guard, I would take my chances in football.

dmoore

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2731723 said:
Just look up and down Coach K's bench. Almost all of his former PG's are assistant coaches. Not much in regards to NBA stars. Chris Duhon is doing okay and I know Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams were hurt in vehicle accidents/injuries.

I would think if I'm a white, 6'2"ish, top rated QB and top rated Point Guard, I would take my chances in football.

That's honestly where I see him ending up. I think being a PG on one of the most storied college basketball programs of all-time, under the guidance of a legendary coach, while getting a world class education isn't a bad way to go. It might not lead to a successful NBA career, but its very respectable. Had he gone on to play QB, there's no saying it would've worked out. Plus the chance for injury is always a factor. I'd rather be hitting jumpers in front of the Cameron Crazies than getting creamed by rush linebackers in South Bend, IN. No matter what he goes on to do, he's going to lead a life that most all of us will be envious of, even if we don't see him on TV every week.