Video: Former NFL Executive Breaks Down How Teams Are Beating The Salary Cap

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would think if anyone would want to manipulate the cap by throwing some cash around for the chance of near term success at the expense of a period of suckage down the road, it would be Jerry.
But Jerry is not making the cap choices as much as Stephen (and to a lessor degree) Will Clay are

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree with you. The problem is their lack of football knowledge. They really don't know who to bet or who to cut. A smart GM would have gotten rid of Elliott and Tank. They sign their players to big deals because they have no idea what this team needs. It's a sad turn of event that Jerry is going to be passing the torch to Stephen who is even worst this his father.
Will Clay is THE main personnel guy and has been for years.
Do you think he does not know personnel?

Maybe he doesn't. But he is the guy

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Why don't the Cowboys operate this way?

LOL, wonder if Jones has H&R Block at the corner do his taxes or does he have a team of highly paid tax attorneys, CPAs and wealth management firms working on them to minimize their taxes.?? Me guess it's the latter. Bet he paid less than you did. He should try this method in dealing with the CAP. Experts whose job it is to work with the rules the way they are written.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m talking purely CASH spent for 2022! Dallas ranks 24..not talking cap

You've still got to account for that CASH....if not this year via bonus' over the forthcoming yearS. The whole problem is next years negative CAP, yes it improves in 2024, but that's the issue of kicking the can (as well as us needing to prepare for the CeeDee, Diggs, Micah contracts).

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
But Jerry is not making the cap choices as much as Stephen (and to a lessor degree) Will Clay are
True.
I'm just putting myself in the shoes of a man for whom time is not a friend. His legacy as a Football Man will be tainted without some real success on the field. I wonder what would happen if he called the boys into his office, threw his checkbook on the table and said, make it happen. I can't imagine he doesn't have the juice to do that, but I don't know.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
you understand why they don’t have cap room right? Bc they don’t manipulate the cap w cash spending..WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE ENTIRE THREAD!!!!

not to mention, you don’t need a ton of cap anyways. He laid out clearly how you can pay a 60 million and have a cap hit of 12.. you are being willfully ignorant here - bye

Of course we do ...... e.g. Dak - $66m signing bonus. Year one of a deal may well be CASH HIGH, CAP LOW..... but if it's Guaranteed Money the CAP hit's got to be accounted for eventually.

Go check the Rams CAP in 2023 and 2024. Which is exacerbated when you take into account the number of players they are due to lose to free agency. (and no 1st RD Draft Pick in 2023). Go further and in 2025 they're already paying $28m in Void money.

ESisback

Reaction score
Dallas has 1 player in the top 87 in the entire nfl in total cash for 2022! 1! Think about that. It’s Dak ranked #40. Nobody else on Dallas roster ranks in the top 87 players in the league in cash they are making in 2022.

Dallas ranks 24th in the league in total cash spent this season. 24th. The team with the most cash in the entire league, chooses not to spend it. The biggest resource you can use to win football games, goes unused by this franchise.
So if we’re 24th in spending, our coaches suck, and our FO is staffed by incompetent fools, HOW did we go 12-5 and win the NFCE?

JBS

Reaction score
So if we’re 24th in spending, our coaches suck, and our FO is staffed by incompetent fools, HOW did we go 12-5 and win the NFCE?
Because they’re good at drafting. They’re not good at finding ways to take the roster to the next level of success on the field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They didn't talk about cap inflation and without it prorations are just moving money around. The dynamic of future dollars having less buying power is what gives cash rich teams an advantage.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you understand why they don’t have cap room right? Bc they don’t manipulate the cap w cash spending..WHICH IS THE POINT OF THE ENTIRE THREAD!!!!

not to mention, you don’t need a ton of cap anyways. He laid out clearly how you can pay a 60 million and have a cap hit of 12.. you are being willfully ignorant here - bye

oh so result to name calling and insults because you are wrong. Bye to you.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dallas has 1 player in the top 87 in the entire nfl in total cash for 2022! 1! Think about that. It’s Dak ranked #40. Nobody else on Dallas roster ranks in the top 87 players in the league in cash they are making in 2022.

Dallas ranks 24th in the league in total cash spent this season. 24th. The team with the most cash in the entire league, chooses not to spend it. The biggest resource you can use to win football games, goes unused by this franchise.
JJ will be dead and gone and there still won't be any new SB trophies sitting in the HQ offices on the Dallas Cowboys. This team has taken on the mentality of the J-E-T-S.....JETS! The Cowboys are being recognized as a TOAD in the NFL.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure time has tested the theory of building through the draft and only supplementing through free agency.

The Cowboys have been burned by too many other free agents over the years.

Swagger

Reaction score
Rams draft well in the mid rounds and they sign quality players to long term contracts.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rams draft well in the mid rounds and they sign quality players to long term contracts.

To me, it kind of looks like we drafted well in the mid rounds, as well. At least with our defensive rookies last year.

75boyz

Reaction score
We did this with Dak's extension. Dak made 75M in 2021. 66M was signing bonus. Thats a ton of cash up front.

The problem is the Jones boys are so football ignorant, they don't know who to bet on........ this is particularly true outside the organization. They aren't going to go out and make that "cash over cap" bet on players they aren't familiar with ..........which is most all of them. If you ran into Jerry or Stephen in a bar and asked them to name the starting defensive unit for the Denver Broncos or Balitmore Ravens, they couldn't do it. While Les Snead could probably name every player who wore a jersey in the NFL last year and every teams current practice squad.

This is the inherent problem with not having a legitimate dedicated GM.

A truly great post. Cowboy Reality.