Formula for determining Dak's extension

J12B

Reaction score
This is the best formula or comparison in coming up with projecting Dak's new deal that could be happening very soon.

I'll use Russel Wilson as the example because they had very similar stats over the first 3 years of their career. Wilson was more successful in most areas but Dak was fairly close (obviously minus a Superbowl win).

In 2015, Russell Wilson signed a 4 year extension for $87.6 million and 61.53 million guaranteed.

The total salary cap for a team to spend that year was $143.28 million.

So the total contract was about 61% of the salary cap and the guaranteed money was 43%.

This year, teams have a total of $194 million to spend. So using those percentages from Wilson's first extension we get 4 years $118.34 million and $83.42 guaranteed as the absolute max. If his deal is more than this, Dallas overpaid.

I would say that is at the very top of Prescott's range. However, since he has not led the team to a superbowl, I see his actual value being less than that.

If he can be extended for 4 years for $110 million and 77 million guaranteed, Dallas and Dak both got a fair deal, in my opinion. This is the ball park I'm hoping for.

GenoT

Reaction score
This is the best formula or comparison in coming up with projecting Dak's new deal that could be happening very soon.

I'll use Russel Wilson as the example because they had very similar stats over the first 3 years of their career. Wilson was more successful in most areas but Dak was fairly close (obviously minus a Superbowl win).

In 2015, Russell Wilson signed a 4 year extension for $87.6 million and 61.53 million guaranteed.

So the total contract was about 61% of the salary cap and the guaranteed money was 43%.

This year, teams have a total of $194 million to spend. So using those percentages from Wilson's first extension we get 4 years $118.34 million and $83.42 guaranteed as the absolute max. If his deal is more than this, Dallas overpaid.

I would say that is at the very top of Prescott's range. However, since he has not led the team to a superbowl, I see his actual value being less than that.

If he can be extended for 4 years for $110 million and 77 million guaranteed, Dallas and Dak both got a fair deal, in my opinion. This is the ball park I'm hoping for.
:facepalm::muttley::laugh::lmao::lmao2::muttley::facepalm:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Honestly its very obvious what he is going to get. And most of it is based on current deals done. People keep wanting to place Dak in some ranking and then pay him accordingly. Unfortunately, its not so much to do with that. There is a category of "franchise QB". Once you are in THAT category, which he is, then it becomes a range of what "franchise QB's" have gotten recently. THEN you factor in a few million here and there based on quality of the "franchise QB".

And based on recent stuff, Dak should get around 30 million per season. So actually your numbers make sense. I agree that under 30 million is good. Over 30 million on average is too much.

Qcard

Reaction score

Dude! Great extrapolation.

I see the thread is getting a Few laughs.

I think your formula is used frequently by Player Agents.

Looks like $29.4 per season...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Pie-R-Win to the 2nd Power divided by who else is available

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Just wait and see what he's like this year. Why the rush? I know, I've heard the arguments to sign him now. Just don't agree.
What dont you agree with? If they wait, they run into the chance of him having an amazing year or winning the SB. Then as a free agent his price goes up, at that point it will be a bidding war for him. Which means they would have to pay him even more. Sure the opposite may happen, but most teams dont like to take that chance.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
What dont you agree with? If they wait, they run into the chance of him having an amazing year or winning the SB. Then as a free agent his price goes up, at that point it will be a bidding war for him. Which means they would have to pay him even more. Sure the opposite may happen, but most teams dont like to take that chance.
I guess I just want that to be a problem to deal with. If they win the SB, I have no doubt they will find a way to resign him and I will agree with the decision. I want Dak to be what we want but just am not sold yet. Not a Dak hater or apologist.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

For me the starting point is, take the last starting Cowboy QB contract signed in 2012, add inflation, the yearly increase in cap, and the escalating cost of starting QB's and go from there.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

From 4 years, $118.34 and $83.42 guaranteed to 4 years $110 mill and 77 Mill guaranteed. Yes it will be in that range

csirl

Reaction score
Mods - can you ban Dak's agent from repeatedly creating threads about paying Dak a load of money Getting tired.

TheHerd

Reaction score
How about we just wait and see what it is when it finally happens. You can guess, I can guess but 100 threads on what we think he gets doesn't matter.
Nothing we say here really matters. It's all just a forum to air our views and talk about our team.

TheHerd

Reaction score

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I'm guessing now that guarantees are what's the final hurdle. The annual of 29-30+ per is all but set given the QB contracts around the league.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line issue on Dak’s contract as I see it. Yes, Dak Prescott and every other player deserves market value. The problem is the conversation seems to be market value for a franchise QB and that is totally wrong in my opinion. The conversation should be market value for Dak Prescott. Dak May have proven he is worthy of an extension and have the confidence of the team to be its QB for the next 5-6 years but that doesn’t mean he has proven he is worth top 5 QB money. I personally don’t believe he has proven he is good enough to be given that type of money simply because he didn’t show any signs of being able to carry the team to wins with Zeke or a stud WR so when injuries happen, I’m not convinced he will put the team on his shoulders and get it done. If you don’t believe he can do that, then he doesn’t deserve to be paid as if he can. Contract negotiations seem to have evolved into I must get more than the last guy at my position who signed a deal instead of players getting deals according to their worth and where they stack up to the other guys at their position. Cooper is a great WR but he isn’t the best in the league and should not be made the highest paid WR. Hopefully he won’t be and Dak will take a deal close to his market value, not the market value for a top 5 QB.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer: