Four pieces to put this roster over the top

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Sign Calais Campbell DT - He’s 37 so he is not a long term solution but he is among the best run stopping defensive linemen in the league. He’s not a liability vs the pass either. He’s also flexible where you can move him around from DT to End. Dlaw Kneeland Mazi Campbell Kendrick’s and Clark at the Will instead of in the middle makes for a much improved run defense.

2. Trade for Trayvon Burks WR. - He’s buried on the Titans depth chart. I loved him coming out of college. He has been a disappointment so far but as a no 3 option he might shine. I think he could give us a bit of the big bodied Debo Samuel type of WR.

3. Bring back Gilly. We didn’t get to see what Diggs Gilly Bland could do together. Bland is a good outside corner but he could be a great slot corner. I like Lewis but I think he is upgradable and would still see playing time in dime packages.

4. Trade for a rb with juice. The jets have several, the bears too, Atlanta, San Fran, Baltimore signed Henry making the rookie from last year with home run speed that I was hoping Dallas would grab expendable. There are options all over the place here.

These 4 pieces would make a big difference and they are affordable and we have enough draft picks next year to let a couple go.
Who's your QB?

Robster8989

Reaction score
It's cute that some fans still think the FO is trying to win a Championship this season

Aye Carumba
Seriously, right?
The Cowboys are retooling. They are resetting their cap situation. They feel they went "all in" last season (signing most of our FA's, adding Cooks, Gilmore etc) and it didn't change the outcome (first round playoff loss).
I won't say they are completely rebuilding, but they are resetting their cap situation.
They want to play the young guys and see what they have.
I doubt we add vets like Campbell and Gilmore. They would cost money we don't want to spend and also block the development of players the Cowboys want to see play.
Give up on this Gilmore thing. He's not coming back here. I liked him too, but when we signed Lewis it signaled our plans, and drafting Carson put the Gilmore question to rest for good. Your other suggestions aren't bad, Burks and a RB, but the right deals would have to be there.

Flamma

Reaction score
1. Sign Calais Campbell DT - He’s 37 so he is not a long term solution but he is among the best run stopping defensive linemen in the league. He’s not a liability vs the pass either. He’s also flexible where you can move him around from DT to End. Dlaw Kneeland Mazi Campbell Kendrick’s and Clark at the Will instead of in the middle makes for a much improved run defense.

2. Trade for Trayvon Burks WR. - He’s buried on the Titans depth chart. I loved him coming out of college. He has been a disappointment so far but as a no 3 option he might shine. I think he could give us a bit of the big bodied Debo Samuel type of WR.

3. Bring back Gilly. We didn’t get to see what Diggs Gilly Bland could do together. Bland is a good outside corner but he could be a great slot corner. I like Lewis but I think he is upgradable and would still see playing time in dime packages.

4. Trade for a rb with juice. The jets have several, the bears too, Atlanta, San Fran, Baltimore signed Henry making the rookie from last year with home run speed that I was hoping Dallas would grab expendable. There are options all over the place here.

These 4 pieces would make a big difference and they are affordable and we have enough draft picks next year to let a couple go.
These are all good ideas, I'm just not of the opinion it puts us over the top. It basically gets us back to last year, with a slight improvement at RB.

1. A RB with juice
2. A Chris Jones type DT
3. A really good Safety
4. Another threat at WR

I don't know that those pieces would put us over the top. But at least it might make us a contender.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Then we get to see the melt downs and Jerry sucks posts.
However,
If Jerry did signed that player, we would still get the Jerry sucks and is an idiot posts. As the fans would say he should have signed the other guy the Eagles signed.
lol right

shabazz

Reaction score
Seriously, right?
The Cowboys are retooling. They are resetting their cap situation. They feel they went "all in" last season (signing most of our FA's, adding Cooks, Gilmore etc) and it didn't change the outcome (first round playoff loss).
I won't say they are completely rebuilding, but they are resetting their cap situation.
I doubt we add vets like Campbell and Gilmore. They would cost money we don't want to spend and also block the development of players the Cowboys want to see play.
Give up on this Gilmore thing. He's not coming back here. I liked him too, but when we signed Lewis it signaled our plans, and drafting Carson put the Gilmore question to rest for good. Your other suggestions aren't bad, Burks and a RB, but the right deals would have to be there.
When others understand it the same way they won't be disappointed by the lack of adding long term talent and salaries......got to get the house in order first

Gambit

Reaction score
Sign Calais Campbell DT - He’s 37
You refuted your own suggestion

Trade for Trayvon Burks WR.
Why, dude likely to be released. Don't think he's better than anything we currently have at WR to give up draft capital for.

Bring back Gilly
He has not been cleared to play yet still rehabing from torn labrum surgery

Trade for a rb with juice
This will probably happen, but not as soon as many like.

we have enough draft picks next year to let a couple go.
We have 10. Let a couple go we have 8. Same boat we were in this year.

For what? A WR you yourself said has been a disappointment and a RB with "juice"?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Seriously, right?
Smart poster right here!!! Totally agree, people need to let it go

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Great options. Unfortunately, we lack the capital to acquire them plus pay the bills coming due next season. Jerry is filthy rich but still has to operate this team within the confines of the agreed salary cap. I wish we did live in a world where we could do as you suggest by getting whatever we want, however, that's not the case. This isn't fantasy football.

Thanks for sharing. It's cute that you think we are just 4 players away. I don't think we are that close.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score
This roster is average at best. 4 pieces won't make a fart. Let alone a turd. Horrible run defense, wrs running in quickrete, Ivory Springs rb exhibiting powerful one blade of grass per carry, weak lineplay, lbs on skates, and 1000 yard stare coming soon to a divisional playoff game near you in 2025.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score

While I like the moves I don’t think this comes close to putting us over the top. If anything it likely just gets us close to last years roster which wasn’t good enough to compete with the best teams in football.

Campbell is a run stopper at this point so would take Hanks spot.

Burks is basically a bust. Sure I’m open to a change of scenery but wouldn’t expect him to do anything more than compete for WR 3/4.

Diggs would be nice to fill out the DB room.

Yes - need more RB juice.

We still have gone backwards in pass rush, lack front 7 talent and WR talent to be over the hump IMO.