Fowler, Lve and Hooker could be the key for our D

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's a reason why he, Malik and LVE are more vet minimum wage, one year deal guys. i dunno if i can announce them as keys for our defense.
They are key complimentary role players - they are not true core difference makers such as Parsons and Diggs.

What's your Plan B, if any of those guys are hurt or ineffective ?
Whose your quality backup guys behind Hooker? (assuming Malik takes the starting FS role).
Donovan Wilson ? Israel M?

- i dunno if Hooker will ever regain the range and mobility he had before the achilles tendon tear - those are harder- difficult to return to form vs ACL's
He was a very noted ball hawk and top 10 overall talent during his draft class year. Its still a gamble with him.

- LVE finally managed to play a full year without an injury miss since his rookie year. He's decent-serviceable but he's not a difference maker.
Whose your backup Plan B option - if LVE gets hurt or ineffective ?

- Fowler is a rotational rush situational player - he either can get hot and give us 9+ sacks, or we won't hear from him.
Yes, they are role players for this defense, but they are important for the overall success of the defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hooker and LVE played better as the season went on but if they get injured next season, no one would be surprised. I didn’t realize that Fowler is only 28 years of age and was a top 3 draft choice. Sam Williams has stole his thunder after the draft but we will see what happens in camp. Good depth players to me. JAGS……
They all are former 1st rd selections that had very good seasons, but struggled to match that prior production. 1st two is more health related, Fowler is the bigger mystery.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
While I disagree those 3 would be the keys to this defense I agree with most of what you wrote; other than LVE's role being to take on blockers. He is not very good at that and even if he were it wouldn't be his role. Also his coverage has been horrible lately but hopefully another year away from the injury and he shows some of that ability again.
Lve played better down the stretch and was very solid once the DL got healthy.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They all are former 1st rd selections that had very good seasons, but struggled to match that prior production. 1st two is more health related, Fowler is the bigger mystery.
I hope they play well but the Cowboys are not depending on them especially LVE and Fowler. Hooker is the wild card if he got his long speed back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I listened to a podcast from Skywalker this morning discussing these 3 veterans being the key for this year's defense:

-Fowler is a former top 3 pick that netted him a big contract after a breakout season with the Rams, where many considered him a draft bust with the Jags. Quinn recruited him to Florida, then to the Falcons, but was fired after 5 games in a covid season where he didn't get much time to work with him.

-Both Lve/Hooker have injury histories, where at the moment the team doesn't have any quality, proven backup behind them. Both have flashed early in their careers, but have failed to match that prior production.

Hooker's snaps were limited last season by design and he played more down, but this yr, he is expected to fill the centerfielder role, which is very important in Quinn's scheme. Has legitimate instincts and is a far better tackler then Kazee, but can he make it through an entire season? Looks like Wilson would fill in if he misses any time.

We all know the story about Lve, terrific rookie season, but hasn't looked the same since that neck injury against Philly a few years ago. He is a little more stiff these days, but still can be an effective player. His role is pretty much to take on blockers, so Parsons can chase. He isn't just a two down player as he can cover somewhat and has the ability to play all linebacker spots, which is important if Quinn wants to continue to use Parsons as a chess piece.

Three former first round picks in the group.

Fowler was too 3 as you mentioned, Hooker was taken 15th overall, and then LVE 19th overall as well.

Clearly, they were all hugely-regarded talents at various points.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Three former first round picks in the group.

Fowler was too 3 as you mentioned, Hooker was taken 15th overall, and then LVE 19th overall as well.

Clearly, they were all hugely-regarded talents at various points.
They all had a pro bowl caliber season in their past

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm actually anticipating that might very well be the case this season. I think it's likely for both of them to equal his production. Of course, Tank Lawrence might tend to cut into their production to some extent, with his extensive reps to be had. I'm excited about our chances to put forth a wicked pass rush this year. Our DE depth should make chances good for some steady pressure to make life tough for opposing QBs.
Hoping as well Bullflop!

conner01

Reaction score
I listened to a podcast from Skywalker this morning discussing these 3 veterans being the key for this year's defense:

-Fowler is a former top 3 pick that netted him a big contract after a breakout season with the Rams, where many considered him a draft bust with the Jags. Quinn recruited him to Florida, then to the Falcons, but was fired after 5 games in a covid season where he didn't get much time to work with him.

-Both Lve/Hooker have injury histories, where at the moment the team doesn't have any quality, proven backup behind them. Both have flashed early in their careers, but have failed to match that prior production.

Hooker's snaps were limited last season by design and he played more down, but this yr, he is expected to fill the centerfielder role, which is very important in Quinn's scheme. Has legitimate instincts and is a far better tackler then Kazee, but can he make it through an entire season? Looks like Wilson would fill in if he misses any time.

We all know the story about Lve, terrific rookie season, but hasn't looked the same since that neck injury against Philly a few years ago. He is a little more stiff these days, but still can be an effective player. His role is pretty much to take on blockers, so Parsons can chase. He isn't just a two down player as he can cover somewhat and has the ability to play all linebacker spots, which is important if Quinn wants to continue to use Parsons as a chess piece.
I thought LVE played much better the second half of last year. One thing I noticed is he was attacking, rather than catching more. After a neck injury I’m not sure he played as aggressive and may been a bit concerned but seem to pick it up. Hopefully we get a full season of that from him

Jarntt

Reaction score
Lve played better down the stretch and was very solid once the DL got healthy.
No he did not play very well down the stretch at all IMO. But, he did play well in the playoff game

he signed only a one year $2M deal for a reason

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that Parsons, Diggs, and Lawrence are the keys to the Cowboys defense. If you are looking for additional firepower on defense I would say that Osa, Cox, and Joseph are more of a key.

I expect those three 2nd year players to improve significantly from their rookie seasons and when you really think about it, wouldn't last seasons defensive draft yield far more potential?

Fowler was a bust whose fortunes magically improved when he signed with the Rams and played next to Aaron Donald for a season. That was his only double digit sack season. His other five seasons average out to less than 5 sacks a season. Take that one season out and he's practically had a career as a a non-factor.

LVE could revive his career if he can stay healthy.....a very big "if". I am very hopeful he can persevere and contribute to the team but I wouldn't call him a key.

I don't know why Hooker would be a key. Ironically, the Cowboys were considered extremely weak at the safety position prior to the 2021 season. Halfway through that season Wilson was almost an afterthought. Kearse played great. the team has some young prospects from last season and this one as well . It would be great for Hooker to breakout in 2022 but it's not a necessity when the team still has Kearse and Wilson..

Actually, all things considered, if you wanted to point at a specific position and claim it is a key to the Cowboys success on defense, it would absolutely have to be at defensive tackle.

Considering the way in which teams successfully attacked the Cowboys last season, the first order of business has to be stopping the run down the middle. No matter how hard LVE plays, he's not going to do much if the DT's can't slow the RB's down.

It would be entirely reasonable to claim that Osa, Gallimore, Bohanna, Ridgeway, Trystan Hill, and Carlos Watkins, as a DT unit will be the key this coming season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No he did not play very well down the stretch at all IMO. But, he did play well in the playoff game

he signed only a one year $2M deal for a reason
He was good the last month of the season

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I thought LVE played much better the second half of last year. One thing I noticed is he was attacking, rather than catching more. After a neck injury I’m not sure he played as aggressive and may been a bit concerned but seem to pick it up. Hopefully we get a full season of that from him
He is betting on himself as I heard he had a larger offer from the Patriots

Aven8

Reaction score
I hope Hooker turns his career around and goes injury free for the rest of it. That would be a feat

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

If that's the case we are in whole heap of trouble...

Batman1980

Reaction score
I hope Hooker turns his career around and goes injury free for the rest of it. That would be a feat

I doubt it, pretty sure it's an outlier and not the norm when an injury-prone player suddenly becomes durable.