Video: Fox: Colin Cowherd: Dak Prescott is not a 'blank check guy'

McKDaddy

Reaction score
"Seems like" is not a position rooted in conviction. Either a lot of folks on this forum have said it or they did not. It's a provable position so prove it or move on.
Its the nice way of saying what we all know without calling anyone out.

Creeper

Reaction score
I said right after the Eagles game it was going to hurt Dak's contract negotiations. He was pretty horrible that game. It wasn't just the late over throw that should have been a TD. All game he was missing wide open receivers. He was wild with his throws and he is lucky the Eagles have such a poor secondary or they would have picked him off 3 or 4 times. The Eagles game put a lot of doubt in everyone's minds about his ability to perform in big games. I don't know what it is. Dak seemed more poised as a rookie. Maybe it is the contract. He was also dealing with a shoulder injury that the Cowboys claimed was nothing. Then after the season we hear he is still dealing with some pain. Aikman said after that Eagles game that an injury like the is in the mind of the QB and can effect his throws.

We don't know if Dak was injured. But Jerry does. All we know is what we saw and we saw a really bad Dak playing in a really big game. What made it worse for me is the following week when the pressure was off, the Cowboys ripped the Commanders big time. That looked bad for the whole team.

I understand both sides in this. But, I think Dak is being obstinate if he does not see how losing those big games and playing poorly would effect his value. This is not a characteristic I want to see in my franchise QB. If Dak wanted $40 million, she had the opportunity to show he was worth it in December. HE failed and he needs to at least recognize that much. But again, who knows what each side is saying. All I know is if this lingers into the season we can forget about winning in 2020.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Its the nice way of saying what we all know without calling anyone out.
Back to the main point. Either Dak is a "blank check" guy or the negotiations have always been about a definable window that both sides can live with. I say it is the latter.

GenoT

Reaction score
Bridgewater, Rivers, Taysom Hill, Tannehill, Dalton, etc.. If you can get similar production for less money, you would have to consider it.

“Similar production” isn’t what we need. What we need is for our new coaching staff to hit the ground running and get the most out of Dak’s talents.

Tagging Dak might engender a holdout (see: Zeke), which, in the case of a QB that the entire organization is dead-set on going to war with, would be counter-productive.

Jerry Jones has proved many times over that he’s a great businessman. What he has yet to prove is that he can be equally successful as a NFL GM without the talent and influence of Jimmy Johnson.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
I think the Jones’ want to pay him. But I wonder if McCarthy is on-board.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with a salary cap....no one is.
Brady didnt get a blank check.
its basketball season...colin needs to turn his attention to that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
No player is. He’s also not asking for a blank check, so that take is moot.
its also dumb.
he said for months the next guy in Dallas would be Lincoln Riley.
then he said Ron Rivera should be the guy.
but he didnt.
he said Riley.

he thinks wentz is the best QB in the division...but Dak has done well in his career vs wentz...he never mentions that...he acts like Dak is chump change.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Colin is the world champ at making the strawman argument. No one ever said Dak is a "blank check guy". They've always been negotiating in the realm of definable numbers, they just haven't agreed on anything yet.
Colin did. :lmao2:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak is average overall , don’t be fooled by the passing stats in garbage time and comeback .. heck , Jamie Winston passed more than him .
Dak choked at all the important games . if he doesn’t give the cowboys a team Freindly deal , Tag him or let him walk if he doesn’t accept a deal . I would think Mathew staffford is a much better option that can be traded for , or even baker mayfield in 2 years .
Winston had 30 INTs and 12 fumbles. This comparison gets worse every time someone makes it.

Garbage time thing is nonsense, always has been.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's right.

Wilson just signed a new deal worth $35MM AAV 8 months ago. Wentz signed for $32MM AAV 8 months ago.

There's the range. Dak isn't a blank check type that should get more than Wilson. It's preposterous to claim otherwise.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
“Similar production” isn’t what we need. With a better overall team (which less money in the QB would allow), similar production from the QB could have significantly better results.

What we need is for our new coaching staff to hit the ground running and get the most out of Dak’s talents. 1000% agree. No doubt there has been meat left on the bone. But only Dak can work on his deficiencies.

Tagging Dak might engender a holdout (see: Zeke), which, in the case of a QB that the entire organization is dead-set on going to war with, would be counter-productive. He's not holding out when 33.3M is the tag amount. That is purely negotiating talk.

Jerry Jones has proved many times over that he’s a great businessman. What he has yet to prove is that he can be equally successful as a NFL GM without the talent and influence of Jimmy Johnson.
True, but he does seem to have realized he can't pay everyone top $ or even keep them on the team based solely on his personal feelings toward them.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Blank check guy also goes more towards the attitude of a franchise not being able to lose that player regardless. We might let him go if his asking price is too high and that would be the right thing to do. I'd want him on a tag bf letting him leave tbh bc he holds value.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He's right.

Wilson just signed a new deal worth $35MM AAV 8 months ago. Wentz signed for $32MM AAV 8 months ago.

There's the range. Dak isn't a blank check type that should get more than Wilson. It's preposterous to claim otherwise.

The problem is that was the range last season. Salaries rise every season and will continue to do so as long as the cap rises. The season before the range was $27-$30 million when Jimmy G, Cousins and Ryan were signed. Fans have a hard time wrapping their minds around the economics of the NFL, it's not what a different player signed in previous seasons or the Cousins, Jimmy Gs, and Carrs of the world would never have been the highest paid at the times they signed.

I fear the floor this season for a starting QB this season is $35 million, just for the simple fact that prices continue to go up, they don't stagnate especially for QBs looking at their 1st big contract.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If Dak wanted less than 40M , he would have already signed .

He wants to hold-out , or wait to see the Mahomes deal to get his 40M.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The top 3 threads this morning are all links to the most ignorant national talking heads in the country. Need I say more about where CZ negative Nancy’s get their takes?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak like I have always predicted will never see a new top ten QB multi year deal either from us or any other NFL team.
Good guy, just simply doesn't have the talent necessary in the NFL to excel at the QB position.

P.S. Please HOLD OUT Dak pretty please!!!!!