News: Fox: Ezekiel Elliott invokes Emmitt Smith as he breaks silence on contract talks

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Everybody should do that. That way, the league can just fold up and move on to something else.

Or perhaps, the league already decided on this. RBs used to be one of the highest paid positions in the NFL. That has changed, maybe that change is the result of the owners decision on what it will condone and not condone?

Then where are the law suits against the top players at this position.

You have a contract. You have reneged Therefore we want money back. We are suing for failure to perform.

But that is not happening, is it?

So the condoning doesn't appear to fit the scenario.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then where are the law suits against the top players at this position.

You have a contract. You have reneged Therefore we want money back. We are suing for failure to perform.

But that is not happening, is it?

So the condoning doesn't appear to fit the scenario.

You don't know that this won't happen but what does that have to do with what I posted previously?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why hasn't it happened so far? Thius is not the first time a player has held out.

Well, we've kinda discussed this at length already. In short, because Jerry has not wanted to pursue this avenue. I mean, I think he could if he were so inclined and perhaps he will at some point but in short, it's because of Jerry IMO.

lostar2009

Reaction score
In this type of contractual business relationship the leverage transfers during time.

You and I cannot just tear up a contract, or try to renegotiate its terms. But they live in a different world

As this ticked toward the last days of this contract, considering the way the owners value running backs in general, the more Jerry had the leverage. But the window of maximum leverage for Zeke was at this moment in time. The owner will always have the advantage, like the house in Vegas. But there are certain circumstances which find prevailing winds to renegotiate from a power position. At no other time would things be as they are now.

Cooper needing a new contract and raise
Dak needing a new contract and raise
The team in position with the best roster since 1995

All these things come into play, which have weight in these discussions between Jones and Elliott.

If he played out this season and then asked to renegotiate, Jerry would never do so at that point. The team could already have failed at their bid for the SB, which means paying Zeke more is a fruitless decision.

Or the team could have made the SB, thus blunting the leverage of Zeke.

The Zeke Who crowd bases their opinions on many things. The fact these people make huge money and can rewrite their agreement if they possess enough talent irks some.

Others toss out Emmitt as if he were faultless. Fact is Emmitt has a huge ego, and back in the day it was pretty common knowledge he would refuse to give autographs to kids because, "You'll give it to your Dad and he will sell it." That story was on this site several times by different people back in the day. So his signing something for a kid was giving away a commodity in the mind of Emmitt.

Others lay claim that if they were Zeke they would play for less just to be a Cowboy.

Personally I see this as an issue I cannot control., and will work its way out.

If I were Jones I would want to pay less. If I were Zeke I would want to make more. Neither position is wrong. And because the owners don't take the player into court and sue their arses off indicates this is business as usual.

All the rest of this is hurt feelings for some fans.

Which amounts to swinging at a pitch in the dirt.

Bottom line Zeke is a greedy drunk.

Tussinman

Reaction score
This has already been discussed by ES himself. ES corrected ppl on this. He played out his rookie contract and was no longer under contract. So it was NOT a hold out. Comparing ES to that drunk is so disrespectful !!!
No Emmitt is giving a bias view. He originally didn't report to rookie minicamp because he ONLY wanted a 3 year rookie deal but eventually took the 4 year deal. It was a compromise because the cowboys wanted a 5 year rookie deal (they compromised on 4 years)

Just because he wanted a 3 year deal doesn't mean he wasn't under contract. He legally signed a 4 year deal and was scheduled to make $465,000 in 1993.

lostar2009

Reaction score
No Emmitt is giving a bias view. He originally didn't report to rookie minicamp because he ONLY wanted a 3 year rookie deal but eventually took the 4 year deal. It was a compromise because the cowboys wanted a 5 year rookie deal (they compromised on 4 years)

Just because he wanted a 3 year deal doesn't mean he wasn't under contract. He legally signed a 4 year deal and was scheduled to make $465,000 in 1993.

Okay bruh, I'm done. Continue to do keep your logic, lol.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott invokes Emmitt Smith as he breaks silence on contract talks

NFL-Ezekiel-Elliott2.jpg

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott broke his silence amid a holdout with his current team over his wish for a new contract.

“I love playing for the Dallas Cowboys, I love the organization, my teammates. I do want to be a Cowboy for the rest of my life and hopefully that’s a possibility,” Elliott said. “But even Emmitt Smith, the greatest running back ever, ended up going to play a couple of years for another organization. So it’s just the nature of the game, but I want to be a Dallas Cowboy for as long as I can.”

Read Full Story

Nose rings too now? This kid really has identity issues. Can we trade this chump please?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sorry, too but what you don't get is that if nobody knows, it also follows that their opinions are worthless. ;)
In that context all opinions are worthless without knowledge of the conclusion . Why have any discussions at all on the subject until the results are in? Lol

Possibly you just don’t agree with the speculative opinion so is your way of discrediting?

Tussinman

Reaction score
Okay bruh, I'm done. Continue to do keep your logic, lol.
My logic ? Emmitt was LEGALLY under contract for 1993 season this isn't me using some made-up logic.

He had a legal contract and was scheduled to make 465k that year. Him and his agent where pissed because they never wanted the 4th year on the original rookie deal and that was the main reason for him not showing up to rookie camp (they wanted 3 years, cowboys wanted 5, they meet in the middle for the time being but come the 4th year he held out because he had leverage).

Emmit Smith held out in 1993 this isn't debatable. I don't blame him (he originally only wanted 3 years + him and his agent knew the salary cap was coming soon so get paid now while you can) but you cannot sit here and say it wasn't a holdout

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In that context all opinions are worthless without knowledge of the conclusion . Why have any discussions at all on the subject until the results are in? Lol

Possibly you just don’t agree with the speculative opinion so is your way of discrediting?

I bowed out when I humbly stated I didn't have a clue when Zeke might return. By all means, feel free to ask whatever you like if that's your pleasure. That's what this forum is for, after all and yes, I get that. Here's hoping you'll get an answer that satisfies you. Sorry that I couldn't provide one.

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
I bowed out when I humbly stated I didn't have a clue when Zeke might return. By all means, feel free to ask whatever you like if that's your pleasure. That's what this forum is for, after all and yes, I get that. Here's hoping you'll get an answer that satisfies you. Sorry that I couldn't provide one.
Well said Bull, you have a right to your views, and can ask what you want. :hammer::hammer::hammer:A lot of people have all kinds of views on Zeke and they all have a right to post them here on this board. keep posting :thumbup:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
He’s not Emmitt Smith tho. He hasn’t won a super bowl. Emmitt Smith was never suspended. I like Elliott and have been a fan of his, but I’m ready for this to end one way or another. At this point I could take him or leave him!
yea, i find it hard to give a damn he's feeling slighted for only being offered around $15mil a year to play 16 games.