News: FOX: NFL Odds: Why You Should Bet Against Dak Prescott, Cowboys

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not gamble on football but if I did, I would not pick them to repeat. Too many unknowns with the Cowboys and actually all the East teams.

One thing we do not consider, because it is very difficult to do so, is the move the previously drafted players in 20 and 21 might make.

The Cowboys are dependent on rookies at LG, DE and WR to just get back to where they were and players like Parsons and Martin in their 1st year are the exception, not the rule. And they really don't know about their QB-WR corps connection. And you can say what you will about Cooper but he made his presence known immediately and that in of itself is revealing and not in a good way.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nothing in the Cowboys recent history suggests they'll improve upon 2021's 12-5 record in 2022. Anything is possible, but the smart move would be to bet against them.

Some folks don't want to hear/read that, but until the Cowboys change it the narrative isn't going away. We all know the only way to change it - make a playoff run. :popcorn:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the no team winning the NFL East in back to back seasons thing... That's superstitious junk.

I think it has more to do with watching the offense never recover after the Denver game, not replacing guys with equal or better talent, and seeing the Eagles clearly get better while already being a playoff level team.
What I find surprising and rather interesting is the fact that it took until the Denver game for this team to get totally exposed.
Im glad Denver is in the AFC.

dcstar

Reaction score
Until the Dallas Cowboys do it on the field...what else is there to say?

The analytical dude says...as much as I love the Cowboys and I am a die hard fan...odds are the 2022 Cowboys will remain all flash with little substance. Admittedly, the defense does give fans some hope though.

The emotional dude says...you're a hater and stupid and don't have a clue what your talking about...2022 Cowboys super bowl baby!!! Kool...hope so.

I lean mo towards the analytical.

Go Cowboys!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Bad coaching hires and injures are to blame for this particular stretch of our history. Romo was our Wentz when it comes to injuries. If he was durable we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Bad coaching hires and injures are to blame for this particular stretch of our history. Romo was our Wentz when it comes to injuries. If he was durable we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Romo was a tackling dummy during his career.
Dak hasnt had much better protection lately, so Im ready to see if Dak benefits from the extra 1/4 second protection upgrade.
Doesnt matter how many HOF/PBers you have on the OL if you cant read a defense.
There is franchise capital invested in order to allow Dak an actual progression read.
Ive been hard on Dak, most here know that, but I am looking forward to an improved OL and blocking scheme.
I expect Dak to find his comfort zone sliding left just a bit, and if we develop an offense that accommodates this scheme early, than we can become a dominating offense early, and progress as skill players like Gallup return to action.
I honestly do not think this offense is done with adds, there will be a cut that other teams cant afford, and we have the cap for a reason.
Im speculating, but this should not be unrealistic.

GINeric

Reaction score
Do everyone a favor and go back to your Eagles forums.

EXACTLY!!! He's the biggest Eagles fan on social media and the fraud still can't explain how Dak can be a tier 4 bum, yet put up record numbers in his first 5 years that thousands of quarterbacks in 100 years of football weren't able to do, and Dak is ranked in the top 10. Thats amazing stuff for a "tier 4 bum" huh.... the Philly Fraud can't give a logical explanation for this.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Romo was a tackling dummy during his career.
Dak hasnt had much better protection lately, so Im ready to see if Dak benefits from the extra 1/4 second protection upgrade.
Doesnt matter how many HOF/PBers you have on the OL if you cant read a defense.
There is franchise capital invested in order to allow Dak an actual progression read.
Ive been hard on Dak, most here know that, but I am looking forward to an improved OL and blocking scheme.
I expect Dak to find his comfort zone sliding left just a bit, and if we develop an offense that accommodates this scheme early, than we can become a dominating offense early, and progress as skill players like Gallup return to action.
I honestly do not think this offense is done with adds, there will be a cut that other teams cant afford, and we have the cap for a reason.
Im speculating, but this should not be unrealistic.
I still think Dak's inability to read a defense is a misconception. We all know Moore likes to call stick routes. But if the X and Y wideouts have the option of turning inside or outside on these stick routes....no QB can make that read consistently. And that's why we see Dak hitting Shultz or the slot WR on a lot of short passes.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I still think Dak's inability to read a defense is a misconception. We all know Moore likes to call stick routes. But if the X and Y wideouts have the option of turning inside or outside on these stick routes....no QB can make that read consistently. And that's why we see Dak hitting Shultz or the slot WR on a lot of short passes.
I just want to see Dak finally having the opportunity to actually see those reads, have that extra fraction of second that allow a deep curl to actually develop.
If Dak gets that and still throws pick six in soft zone than we have a real issue here.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I just want to see Dak finally having the opportunity to actually see those reads, have that extra fraction of second that allow a deep curl to actually develop.
If Dak gets that and still throws pick six in soft zone than we have a real issue here.
Here is what I saw from defenses that we faced last year.

If Moore calls a play where the RB stays in to block. The RB will count to two then start exiting the pocket, if there's no blitz. Bit that RB isn't running a route he's just getting out of the way so the pocket won't be as congested. And as soon as that LB sees that RB moving, he then comes on a blitz. The RB never presents himself as a target to Dak, who's now under pressure. And the crazy part about it is...the more success that LB has at getting pressure on Dak the more Moore calls for the RB to block.

So in short, teams killed us last year with the delayed blitz. And the RB has to do is turn around and show the QB his numbers.
:facepalm:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Here is what I saw from defenses that we faced last year.

If Moore calls a play where the RB stays in to block. The RB will count to two then start exiting the pocket, if there's no blitz. Bit that RB isn't running a route he's just getting out of the way so the pocket won't be as congested. And as soon as that LB sees that RB moving, he then comes on a blitz. The RB never presents himself as a target to Dak, who's now under pressure. And the crazy part about it is...the more success that LB has at getting pressure on Dak the more Moore calls for the RB to block.

So in short, teams killed us last year with the delayed blitz. And the RB has to do is turn around and show the QB his numbers.
:facepalm:
lol, you suffer from my same affliction.
I hear you loud and clear my friend.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone could look at the Cowboys offseason and think the Cowboys are a better team than they were last season. They clearly lost more than they gained, and the NFL is such a parity league that even little losses can drop a team way down from where they were the previous year. I think the Cowboys offseason losses put even more pressure on Dak to win games and that is the opposite of where they need to be.

I tend agree with you but there have clearly been case of teams becomming better teams after losing good pieces when the chemistry gets better. So while I agree your probably right, we wont know for sure until they play a real game as a team.

Creeper

Reaction score
I tend agree with you but there have clearly been case of teams becomming better teams after losing good pieces when the chemistry gets better. So while I agree your probably right, we wont know for sure until they play a real game as a team.

I am a strong believer there are times when subtracting a player actually makes the team better. Xavier Woods was a great example of that. I think not resigning Kazee this year will have that effect to a lesser degree. But I would not have put Randy Gregory in that category, not La'el Collins. Cooper, definitely. But, not without a replacement. Unless Tolbert shocks the world, I do not think they have a replacement for Cooper's talent on the field.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I am a strong believer there are times when subtracting a player actually makes the team better. Xavier Woods was a great example of that. I think not resigning Kazee this year will have that effect to a lesser degree. But I would not have put Randy Gregory in that category, not La'el Collins. Cooper, definitely. But, not without a replacement. Unless Tolbert shocks the world, I do not think they have a replacement for Cooper's talent on the field.

thats the thing with the younger players i guess we dont know what we got until we do...Lamb could be (he better be for where we drafted him) or we could find out real quick we have a problem for sure. I do think we can replace what Gregory did with players on the roster and lord knows Collins had his ups and downs but was a solid RT.