Fox Sports Article: Romo needs to drop the Romeo act

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's actually a good read around the middle. Admittedly, the rest is fluff.

Romo needs to drop the Romeo act

Updated: December 19, 2007, 4:47 PM EST 1729 comments

You lay off that pet shop dame. Women weaken legs.

No, Jessica Simpson will never be mistaken for a shut-in stuck cleaning waste from the bottom of a dog cage. She has never looked, acted or dressed the way Adrian did when Mickey Goldmill, trainer, was telling Rocky Balboa, boxer, that chastity was the surest ticket to the heavyweight crown.

But since this has become a Philadelphia story, this Tony Romo habit of bringing his girlfriend to the Eagles game and then playing like, well, an undrafted quarterback out of Eastern Illinois, a warning lifted from the Rocky script feels like a necessary addition to the Cowboys' playbook.

Romo invited Carrie Underwood to the Eagles' game last year and posted a 45.5 quarterback rating. Romo invited Simpson to the Eagles game this year and made that 45.5 a five-touchdown day at the Super Bowl in comparison.

Hey, it's good to see Romo enjoying his apparent sex appeal more than any quarterback since Joe Namath. When it comes to scoring points Monday through Saturday, the guy makes Tom Brady look like a hopeless amateur.

But for the good of the team, shouldn't Romo start channeling the monogamous spirit of the revered family man, Roger Staubach?

"I enjoy sex as much as Joe Namath," Staubach once told Phyllis George. "Only I do it with one girl."

There's a lot at stake here, you see. The Patriots are 14-0. They haven't quite been the same juggernaut of late, but expect that to change when they hit the playoffs. Brady and Bill Belichick will get it rolling again on muscle memory.

New England should end up in the Arizona desert with an 18-0 record, a chance to secure its legacy as the greatest NFL team of all time, and an opportunity to punctuate its historic achievement with a blowout Super Bowl XLII victory over the representative from the inferior NFC.

Tony Romo is the one and only man who can stop all that from happening. Despite the Patriots' 48-27 triumph over the Cowboys in October, Romo remains the star Brady and Belichick fear most.

Nobody's going into Foxborough in the postseason and beating the Patriots, not even Peyton Manning. But at a neutral site, the mission isn't impossible.
The right opponent at the right time could conceivably make the Patriots the most devastated 18-1 team in the history of sports.

On the NFC side, Brett Favre would amount to the best story. He is the old gunslinger going out in a blaze of glory, and America can't get enough of that.
Chances are, Favre would turn to dust against the Patriots the way he did against the Cowboys. He's earned every glowing tribute written about his durability and go-for-broke style, but New England's defense would likely make him appear just as old as his birth certificate says he is (38).

Romo is an entirely different proposition. He is 27, at the height of his physical powers. He has the It factor in overdrive, and his ability to see the field and create something out of nothing with his legs makes him a potentially lethal threat to a dynasty's best laid plans.

Romo is an improvisational genius. If you didn't know it after eight games this season, you knew it after the ninth.

On his first of four touchdown passes against the Giants in Jersey, Romo dropped back, scrambled up the middle, lowered his head and tucked the ball into his belly as if preparing for a collision, and -- at the last possible millisecond -- shot up his head like a carnival Whac-a-mole and threw across his body to Tony Curtis in the end zone.

Hard to believe Romo was signed out of college for a lousy 10 grand, or $53,990,000 less than the deal ultimately given Eli Manning. Romo has arm strength, foot speed, and a radiant can-do aura that serves a quarterback as much as a reliable offensive line.

Last year's season-crushing fumble on a field-goal attempt did nothing to temper his swagger. In fact, Romo carries himself as a two-time Super Bowl champ, and not as a quarterback still looking for his first playoff win.

Maybe that's what attracts women to Romo like moths to a flame.

Underwood. Simpson. Sophia Bush. Britney Spears. Nothing can knock that I-know-something-you-don't smile off his face, so the conga line of actresses and pop icons keeps circling his locker.

Which brings us back to the stakes. As much as the NFL loves it when Jessica Simpson shows up on TV mouthing Romo's name and tugging her pink No. 9 jersey, the league needs Romo to keep his legs strong and sure.

They were wobbly and weak in losing to the Eagles. Romo missed on 23 of 36 passes, threw three interceptions, fumbled twice and was sacked four times. He left the field with an injured thumb and a 22.2 quarterback rating to boot.

The Cowboys fell to 12-2, and Jessica became the easy cheerleading target, the pom-pom girl to blame. But the attention had to be good for her career even if it wasn't so good for Tony's.

Romo went from a touchdown and two interceptions in the Carrie Underwood Eagles loss to no touchdowns and three interceptions in the Simpson Eagles loss. It's not likely Romo will be inviting Jessica Alba to next year's Philly game, we think.

And it's highly unlikely there will be a Cowboys-Eagles playoff game in Dallas for Simpson to haunt next month. But in the meantime, Romo is living a little dangerously as the American Idol on America's Team.

He's got everything going for him -- the fame, the fortune, the Pro Bowl selection and the knowledge that Staubach's grandson wears his No. 9 instead of grandpa's No. 12.

Romo deserves all of the above. He came from nowhere on a little serendipity and a lot of hard work.

He just needs to realize he's not the lead singer in a boy band, or the lead character in HBO's Entourage. Romo is the quarterback of the one NFC team that might be capable of beating the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

He could use a Burgess Meredith in his corner about now, telling him to find a nice pet store dame and settle down.

Martice

Reaction score
Yeah. When will it end... I would be pissed if it were me. Who are these writers and fans who think they can govern this guys personal life?

You know, then the writers get mad when players don't want to speak to them. They then launch an assault on a players unwillingness to speak.

Sheesh!! Get a ****** life will ya!

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
witty article, romo brings it on himself so he doesn't the "press is mean" sympathy from me.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I totally agree with this article, 1000% percent. A chance to make history and achieve legend by being the David to the Patriots goliath is worth waiting until the offseason to resume appearances by celebrity gf's. Tony is the leader of this team and as such should understand that it's his job to circumvent potential excuses for failure in the postseason.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1848771 said:
This crap is so overplayed. :bang2: :rolleyes:

I agree. But that's the sports media for ya. Sounds like they need to lay off completely. Won't happen though.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
mmohican29;1848781 said:
I totally agree with this article, 1000% percent. A chance to make history and achieve legend by being the David to the Patriots goliath is worth waiting until the offseason to resume appearances by celebrity gf's. Tony is the leader of this team and as such should understand that it's his job to circumvent potential excuses for failure in the postseason.

I too agree with the article. It's a clear and fair message. Romo has an air of playboy in him which he needs to cut out. No more high profile female guests being highly visible at the games carrying on like air heads. It's all part of his learning process.

coogrfan

Reaction score
John Glenn: I'm talking about the playing around that's going on. I'm talking about the young girls. I'm talking about the cookies. I'm talking about keeping our pants zipped and our wicks dry around here!
Alan Shepard: Mr. Glenn, you are way out of line. I'd advise you not to try and foist your view of morality on anybody else in this group. Each man here has volunteered to do a job. Each man here is devoting long hours of training to prepare for it, and doing many things above and beyond the strict call of duty, such as morale tours of factories...
John Glenn: - such as bringing girls up to your room in the middle of the night?
Alan Shepard: - and foregoing any semblance of an orderly family life. And Mr. Glenn, as long as a man uses good sense, what he does with his zipper or his wick is his own business!

-The Right Stuff (1983)

CPonder14

Reaction score
That's who he is though. He is a fun loving guy, who attracts the opposite sex, and is having fun out there living a dream. Its not going to change anytime soon, so either
A) you get used to it, or
B) don't get used to it, and have a grudge against Romo for the next 6 seasons.

I really don't care what's going on with his girlfriend, and what not. Football is not the thing in life.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THEHEREAFTER;1848807 said:
I too agree with the article. It's a clear and fair message. Romo has an air of playboy in him which he needs to cut out. No more high profile female guests being highly visible at the games carrying on like air heads. It's all part of his learning process.

I agree that football should be Romo's top priority, but can't you guys see that the media is creating something out of nothing? Romo should not have to live like a monk and he should not have to limit his dates to unknown women. He's probably being introduced to these stars by the people around him and he is obviously compatible with them, so they continue to date each other. It's not that big of a deal when you think for yourself. Jessica was at several other games, but it wasn't an issue until the media made it into one. So what if he has a famous girlfriend or three? That's his business and it has nothing to do with football. Look at it this way, if Romo had thrown for four touchdowns against Philly the way he did against Green Bay (in front of Jessica?), would everyone be up in arms?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I diddnt even read the article, but I can tell its bull**** from reading the title.

Jessica was at the Packer game and the Jets game. One horribly bad game comes along for everyone from Phillips to Garrett to Romo and its her fault? Its total garbage. Most of the bozos reporting this story dont even realize that she was watching Tony play some amazing football before the Eagles came along.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1848771 said:
This crap is so overplayed. :bang2: :rolleyes:

I'm a "hold out" on this one. I'm not sure there's exactly a spurious relationship between Romo and Women. But I can say that I was at the Jets game, and I saw Carrie Underwood sing there, and he scored like 38 points and tied the all-time TD record.

So, it's not every time a female is there.

I don't like how this article bites on my T.O. article though. Because I think there is more of a potential problem with T.O. losing his cool over this than Romo for some reason.

We shall see.

BnA

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1848873 said:
I agree that football should be Romo's top priority, but can't you guys see that the media is creating something out of nothing? Romo should not have to live like a monk and he should not have to limit his dates to unknown women. He's probably being introduced to these stars by the people around him and he is obviously compatible with them, so they continue to date each other. It's not that big of a deal when you think for yourself. Jessica was at several other games, but it wasn't an issue until the media made it into one. So what if he has a famous girlfriend or three? That's his business and it has nothing to do with football. Look at it this way, if Romo had thrown for four touchdowns against Philly the way he did against Green Bay (in front of Jessica?), would everyone be up in arms?

I have no problems with anything you've said here. I'm just sick of my QB being a National Inquirer story and I just don't care for Jessica Simpson but that's besides the point. Because the media does what they do, AND it's Dallas, AND things could spiral into a distraction, maybe he should be just a bit more discreet and start hiding the b!%# at games. :laugh2: Seriously, maybe she should just be less visible.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THEHEREAFTER;1849000 said:
I have no problems with anything you've said here. I'm just sick of my QB being a National Inquirer story and I just don't care for Jessica Simpson but that's besides the point. Because the media does what they do, AND it's Dallas, AND things could spiral into a distraction, maybe he should be just a bit more discreet and start hiding the b!%# at games. :laugh2: Seriously, maybe she should just be less visible.
I agree that her visibility makes it easier for the mediots to attack, but if it's truly a "relationship" they can't let people stop them from being together and supporting each other. The other girlfriends are there. Once again, the media needs to lay off. Maybe he really likes the girl, airhead and all.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;1848985 said:
I'm a "hold out" on this one. I'm not sure there's exactly a spurious relationship between Romo and Women. But I can say that I was at the Jets game, and I saw Carrie Underwood sing there, and he scored like 38 points and tied the all-time TD record.

So, it's not every time a female is there.

I don't like how this article bites on my T.O. article though. Because I think there is more of a potential problem with T.O. losing his cool over this than Romo for some reason.

We shall see.

BnA

jessica was also at the packers game i understand.

"She's been to two other games that we've won, but nobody ever said anything about them," receiver Patrick Crayton said. "Maybe she was his good-luck charm. Nobody ever stated that."

The Cowboys won the other games she attended. It's just that TV cameras didn't show her cheering on her man. But all eyes were on her Sunday."

people just hunt for a story or an excuse when the simple fact of the matter is, that's life. she didn't do anything at all to hurt the team but far too many fans get bent out of shape because they need someone to blame to make themselves better about a situation that in the end has NOTHING to do with them.

Taz

Reaction score
just because you wear a romo jersey doesn't mean you are dating them

I have an aikman jersey doesn't mean we have sex together. I think this becuase she is at a game wearing a jersey they ae dating thing stupid

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
mmohican29;1848781 said:

So apparently, the Eagles victory over the Cowboys was Tony's fault, and it's his responsibility alone to slay the giant of the gridiron.

Boysboy

Reaction score
The sad thing about all this is that we were ONE play away from taking this game. If anything, Newman was probably as much to blame for dropping that pick 6 as well. Or Garrett for not calling a run play near the goalline which lead to Romo's first pick.

Pt being that IF we did grab this one play, NONE of this Jessica/Tony Romo hogwash would have gone on AT ALL in the national media.