FoxSports.com - mock draft (new pick at 22)

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
Mock draft: How trades affect picks

Derek Harper/NFLDraftScout.com

1.RaidersJaMarcus RussellQBLSUJunior1stSAME1st / 1st
The Raiders' signing of Josh Booty last week hardly raised red flags in the Russell camp about being the No. 1 overall pick. And even if rumors about Oakland's interest in Daunte Culpepper prove to be true, Russell is a raw talent who could stand to spend a year being groomed behind a veteran.
VIDEO: Russell highlights

2.LionsBrady QuinnQBNotre DameSenior2ndSAME2nd / 2nd Expect plenty of action around this pick as the draft approaches. The Lions won't draft another receiver with a high first-round pick, and aren't in great need of a franchise left tackle. If the Browns or another team don't step up with a small ransom to move into this slot, Quinn could be the pick as the successor to 11th-year veteran Jon Kitna.
VIDEO: Quinn highlights

3.BrownsJoe ThomasOTWisconsinSenior3rdSAME3rd/ 3rd With RB Jamal Lewis and LG Eric Steinbach already added via free agency, the Browns can create a formidable power running game with Thomas. And with QB Charlie Frye an unknown commodity and TE Kellen Winslow recovering from knee surgery, the offense needs a strong ground game to rely on.
VIDEO: Top linemen

4.BuccaneersCalvin JohnsonWRGeorgia TechJunior4thSAME4th / 4th In most drafts, a talent like Johnson would never make it this far. His combination of size and strength would have an immediate impact, and his big-play ability will be coveted with Joey Galloway entering his 13th season.
VIDEO: Johnson highlights

5.CardinalsGaines AdamsDEClemsonSenior5thSAME5th / 5th The Cardinals need help at cornerback, but will be hard-pressed to justify selecting one out of this class with the fifth overall pick. The next best thing is to improve the pass rush to cut down on the time the cover men have to stick with their receivers. And with DE Bertrand Berry's recent injury history, the Cardinals need a long-term answer here.
6.CommandersAmobi OkoyeDTLouisvilleSenior9th
(+3)6th / 9th Whether the Commanders view Omar Stoutmire as a starter or not, his signing last week gives the team more flexibility with this pick. This would be considered a bit of a reach for Okoye, but the 19-year-old with immense upside would provide another young talent alongside Kedric Golston to eventually supplant veterans Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a.
7.VikingsLeon HallCBMichiganSenior7thSAME7th / 7th Fred Smoot is gone, and the Vikings need a reliable third corner behind starters Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin. Hall could fill that role immediately, and offers Pro Bowl talent down the road.
8.Falcons (from Texans)LaRon LandrySLSUSenior6th
(-2)6th / 8th Chris Crocker was terrible in coverage last season, and even if Jimmy Williams makes the conversion to safety this year, the Falcons will eventually need to replace 12th-year veteran Lawyer Milloy. Landry is in the mold of the new breed of safeties who can play either the free or strong side.
9.DolphinsAlan BranchDTMichiganJunior13th
(+4)9th / 13th Branch is slipping down most draft boards after a poor Combine and Pro Day. But he is still an imposing run stuffer who fills a massive need for the Dolphins. DT Keith Traylor is entering his 15th season, and Branch has far more potential than any other tackle on the roster.
10.Texans (from Falcons)Adrian PetersonRBOklahomaJunior12th
(+2)10th / 12th Even with Ahman Green and Ron Dayne on the roster, the Texans will be hard pressed to pass on Peterson should he fall this far. Green and Dayne aren't game-breakers at this point in their careers, and the Texans still need a big-play back for the long term. There is legitimate concern about Peterson's upright running style, but sharing the backfield for a year or two would allow Houston to test his durability.
VIDEO: Peterson highlights

11.49ersRobert MeachemWRTennesseeJunior16th
(+5)11th / 16th Antonio Bryant is gone, replaced by another enigma in Ashley Lelie. QB Alex Smith needs more weapons to provide a balanced offense, and Meachem fits the bill. He has great hands and his workouts prove he has the potential to emerge as a No. 1 wideout.
12.BillsPatrick WillisLBOle MissSenior11th
(-1)11th / 12th With London Fletcher-Baker and Takeo Spikes sent packing this offseason, the Bills need linebacking help across the board. Willis has been one of the draft's most impressive work out warriors, and has the potential to step in right away in place of Fletcher-Baker as a run-stuffer on the inside.
13.RamsDarrelle Revis CBPittsburghJunior18th
(+5)13th / 18th Tye Hill was a good first-round pickup last year, but he needs a long-term complement on the other side of the field. Revis literally ran himself back into the top half of the first round with a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at his March 17 Pro Day. He could step in as a nickel back immediately, with Fakhir Brown solid as a starter opposite Hill.
14.PanthersLevi BrownOTPenn StateSenior8th
(-6)8th / 14th LT Travelle Wharton is expected to return from ACL surgery in time for training camp, but that hardly means he has a lock on the starting job. The Panthers' entire offense suffered due to spotty line play last season, and Brown would finally give Carolina the athletic left tackle it has sought for years.
15.SteelersAdam Carriker LBNebraskaSenior17th
(+2)15th / 17th Coach Mike Tomlin hasn't said whether he will use a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme, but Carriker would be a fit for either. He's big enough to slide inside in a 4-3, and plays with the physicality outside ends need to maintain the edge in a 3-4.
16.PackersMarshawn LynchRBCaliforniaJunior19th
(+3)16th / 19th Lynch played in a Pro Style offense at Cal, and could step in early in the season and make an impact in a backfield that currently features Vernand Morency and Noah Herron. And Lynch's versatility as a runner and receiver makes him an excellent fit for a West Coast offense. VIDEO: Lynch highlights

17.JaguarsReggie NelsonSFloridaJunior14th
(-3)14th / 17th Talk about a perfect mid-first-round fit. The Jaguars watched FS Deon Grant go to Seattle in free agency, but could find an immediate replacement with an excellent playmaker in Nelson. And it would be a public relations coup for a team that needs one, with Nelson having played his collegiate ball 70 miles away in Gainesville.
18.BengalsGreg OlsenTEMiamiJunior31st
(+13)18th / 31st Yes, the Bengals' main focus in this draft is defense — particularly defenders with strong character. But Olsen presents an enticing opportunity to fill one of the few holes on the team's high-powered offense — a receiving tight end who can work the middle. He is fast, runs solid routes and will only make the receivers that much more potent.
19.TitansJamaal AndersonDEArkansasJunior10th
(-9)10th / 19th Wide receiver is another key area of need, but the Titans can still address that on the first day of the draft in a deep receiving class. If Anderson falls this far, the Titans can't afford to pass on a raw but very physically gifted pass rusher to team opposite Kyle Vanden Bosch for the next several years.
20.GiantsDwayne JarrettWRUSCJunior30th
(+10)20th / 30th Amani Toomer is said to be progressing well, but the fact remains he's entering his 12th season coming off knee surgery. Jarrett would provide a similar sure-handed big target for QB Eli Manning to look to in the red zone and on third down.
21.BroncosPaul Posluszny LBPenn StateSenior20th
(-1)20th / 21st With MLB Al Wilson being shopped, the Broncos will likely be in the market for another run-stuffing linebacker. Posluszny spent the majority of his time with the Nittany Lions on the outside, but proved in the second half of 2006 that he is capable of sliding inside — and might even be more effective there in the NFL.
22.CowboysBen GrubbsOGAuburnSenior15th
(-7)15th / 22nd RG Marco Rivera has back problems and has never lived up to the $9 million signing. LG Kyle Kosier is solid but will never be an All-Pro. Grubbs is the draft's best pure guard prospect and would upgrade the interior of the Cowboys' line for years to come
23.ChiefsDwayne BoweWRLSUSenior23rdSAME23rd / 23rd The depth at receiver could actually hurt some of the position's top prospects, with teams knowing there will be plenty of value later on. Bowe is a top 15 talent who could drop to the Chiefs, who certainly need to upgrade their receiving corps to help make life easier on RB Larry Johnson.
24.Patriots (from Seahawks)Chris HoustonCBArkansasSenior26th
(+2)24th / 26th Asante Samuel is happy for now, but his pending one-year tender as the team's franchise player means the story will be the same next offseason without a multi-year deal. There is some depth with Ellis Hobbs, Randall Gay and Chad Scott, but Houston is a raw talent who could emerge into a top-notch starter in a few years.
25.JetsAaron RossCBTexasSenior27th
(+2)25th / 27th Coach Eric Mangini is determined to keep improving the personnel needed for the 3-4 to work at its best. But the Jets have a far more glaring hole in the secondary, where the current starters are injury-plagued veteran Andre Dyson and journeyman Hank Poteat. Ross comes from a powerhouse program and should be able to provide help at least as a nickel back early on.
26.EaglesLawrence TimmonsLBFSUJunior24th
(-2)24th / 26th Acquiring Takeo Spikes doesn't mean the Eagles are done upgrading the unit. He and MLB Jeremiah Trotter will be entering their 10th seasons. Spikes, who can start at any of the three positions, wasn't quite the same player after recovering from 2005 Achilles' tendon surgery, and defensive coordinator Jim Johnson wants to limit Trotter's snaps. It makes for a good situation to give time for the very talented but very raw Timmons to learn the system from a pair of savvy veterans on the downside.
27.SaintsJustin HarrellDTTennesseeSenior25th
(-2)25th / 27th The Saints have a mediocre linebacker corps, but any linebacker looks better with strong interior line play clearing the way. Harrell's stock dropped due to a ruptured biceps tendon in 2006, but he's an underrated warrior who played against Florida before undergoing season-ending surgery.
28.PatriotsJarvis MossDEFloridaJunior21st
(-7)21st / 28th Patriots coach Bill Belichick loves versatility, and a 3-4 defense might be a good fit for Moss. He's undersized for a traditional end, but hasn't displayed the agility to move permanently to linebacker at the next level. One thing is for certain -- he has immense natural gifts, and Belichick is the man to figure out how best to utilize them.
29.RavensJustin BlalockOTTexasSenior29th
29th / NR The Ravens' line is on the verge of a meltdown with RT Tony Pashos (free agency) and LG Edwin Mulitalo (released) gone, and LT Jonathan Ogden contemplating retirement. The Ravens are going to need several linemen in the near future, making Blaylock's versatility -- he started at guard and tackle for the Longhorns -- an inviting commodity.
30.ChargersBrandon Meriweather SMiamiSenior22nd
(-8)22nd / 30th Replacing one free safety (Terrence Kiel) for another with some past off-field concerns, might raise some questions. But Meriweather is a versatile playmaker who was considered a team leader by former Hurricanes coach Larry Coker. If the Chargers can solidify their deep secondary, their already dominating defense could become downright suffocating.
31.BearsSidney RiceWRSouth CarolinaSoph.31st
31st / NR The Bears already have a speed burner in Bernard Berrian, so Rice's pedestrian 4.51-second 40-yard dash time won't scare off the Bears. They're more concerned about adding weapons for QB Rex Grossman, and finding a long-term replacement for aging possession receiver Muhsin Muhammad.
32.ColtsTed Ginn, Jr.WROhio StateJunior32ndSAME32nd / 32nd Cornerback and linebacker are two other areas of need, but Ginn would serve several purposes. First, the Colts are frightfully thin beyond starting WRs Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, and coming from a major program Ginn should be able to make a quick impact as a slot receiver. He's also a big-time return threat who saves a roster space with his ability to pull double duty.

article

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can I get paid also to come up with a list of names for everyone to put on message boards.:laugh2:

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Colo;1438734 said:
22.CowboysBen GrubbsOGAuburnSenior15th
(-7)15th / 22nd RG Marco Rivera has back problems and has never lived up to the $9 million signing. LG Kyle Kosier is solid but will never be an All-Pro. Grubbs is the draft's best pure guard prospect and would upgrade the interior of the Cowboys' line for years to come
article

Horrible. Pass on Blalock, Bowe, Houston, Ross, Timmons, Meriweather...........gosh, passed on everyone we should target at 22 for Grubbs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1438752 said:
Horrible. Pass on Blalock, Bowe, Houston, Ross, Timmons, Meriweather...........gosh, passed on everyone we should target at 22 for Grubbs.
Grubbs will likely be there in the 2nd.

thor_01

Reaction score
grubbs will likely be there, on the second day, he is not capable of playing more than guard which leaves him one of the last linemen to be considered.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
:star:
thor_01;1438764 said:
grubbs will likely be there, on the second day, he is not capable of playing more than guard which leaves him one of the last linemen to be considered.........

Grubbs is a projected 1st round pick in most scouting reports there and is considered 1 of the better linemen in the draft no way he falls to day 2 of the draft. High 1st rd or early 2nd rd is about where he will fall

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I agree that I would be surprised to see Grubbs still there at the 53rd spot in the second. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I would feel better about picking Grubbs with our first pick if he had more flexibility, or at least enough flexibility, to be able to play more than just guard if we needed him to. While we could take an OL with our first pick, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us go for either a run-stuffer, a DB, or a pass rusher to help compliment Ware. WR has been mentioned on here, although I'm inclined to think that we won't take a WR in the early rounds. Initially, I thought that we might take a WR in the early rounds, but I no longer feel that we will.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1438790 said:
why would we draft a backup o-linemen in the 1st?

I doubt Dallas will pick OL with the 1st but why would you? To be the eventual starter. As player he is a quality lineman and if the thought was we could do better than Kosier that is where it would make sense.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would LOVE to have Grubbs on the team..but I would fall out of my chair if we took him at 22,, maybe we trade down and take him.. but not at 22.. I would not be against, trading our spot in the second and some of the extra later round picks to move up in the second to take him.. I don't know how that works out on the points chart.

fortdick

Reaction score
Signing Hamlin sure screwed up all these draft "experts"! Now they have to stop and think about what the Cowboys will do. It exposes them for what they are. A bunch of BS artists that just regurgiate what they hear.

Everyone said Dallas needed a free safety, so that was their pick. Now, they are just guessing that Rivera's back will cause them to panic and take a guard. They forget that the Boys just signed Davis and Columbo, so the only OL needs are a protege to take Flo's spot in a couple years.

They have no clue whatsoever.

Iago33

Reaction score
FD,

You're right. They have no clue. Honestly I don't either. Do you?

Hiero

Reaction score
really dumb pick. not only does he neglect to mention that we signed Davis, we dont need a guard in the first rd anyways. wecould easily get a talented Guard in the 2nd or 3rd.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick;1438854 said:
Signing Hamlin sure screwed up all these draft "experts"! Now they have to stop and think about what the Cowboys will do. It exposes them for what they are. A bunch of BS artists that just regurgiate what they hear.

Everyone said Dallas needed a free safety, so that was their pick. Now, they are just guessing that Rivera's back will cause them to panic and take a guard. They forget that the Boys just signed Davis and Columbo, so the only OL needs are a protege to take Flo's spot in a couple years.

They have no clue whatsoever.
Bingo!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1438752 said:

I hate guard in 1, but I'd take Grubbs over Blalock and Meriweather. Probably Timmons too.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;1438756 said:
Grubbs will likely be there in the 2nd.

I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't waste any time getting the pick up to the podium either.