FoxSports Whitlock: #8 Truth: Clock was run improperly in the final 20 sec

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9. Terrell Owens isn't talking this week because he doesn't want anyone asking him about the balls he dropped in Dallas' miracle victory over the Buffalo Bills.

T.O. was damn near as bad as Tony Romo in Monday's contest. Seriously, had the Cowboys lost, there would've been two story lines: Romo's five interceptions and T.O.'s three drops, including a two-point conversion pass that would've tied the game.

Owens dropped a key pass in Dallas' game-winning field-goal drive. The Original 81 was awful and doesn't want to spend all week talking about the New 81 (Randy Moss) and the incredible season he's having in New England.

T.O. hatched a great scheme and, of course, the media and his teammates are lapping it up. We — media and men — are often the worst groupies.

8. The Cowboys stole Monday's game partially because the clock was run improperly in the final 20 seconds.

For some reason the clock never ran during Dallas' onside kick. Somehow the refs concluded only two seconds expired on the play. The play easily could've burned four or five seconds had the clock run the way it normally does when there's a scrap for the football.

The refs reset the clock to 13 seconds on T.O.'s dropped pass that was only ruled a drop after a replay review. This might have been appropriate and accurate, but had the refs ruled it an incompletion off the top and whistled the play dead, there could've easily been another second or two come off the clock.

Anyway, Dallas stopped the clock when Patrick Crayton stepped out of bounds with two seconds to play and booted the game-winning field goal.

7. While we're on the subject, let me state the painfully obvious: The Buffalo Bills are horrible.

Do you know how hard it is to lose a home game when you win the turnover battle 6-1, and score two defensive touchdowns and one touchdown on a return? I don't know either. But it's awfully freaking hard.

Dallas' defense ain't that good. It's inexcusable given all the extra possessions that the Buffalo offense could produce just three points.

LINK

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doesn't the clock start running when it's touched? If so, are they saying that 4-5 seconds should have run off between the time when Hurd touched it and Curtis fell on it?

canters

Reaction score
"Dallas' defense ain't that good. It's inexcusable given all the extra possessions that the Buffalo offense could produce just three points."

More idle BS chat from the drive by media types. :banghead:

Keep it up guys. We wil surprise you.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Truth #9: The sky is blue.
Truth #10: Sometimes you get the calls, sometimes you don't. Most of the times the Cowboys get ghost calls and for once got luckly.
Truth #11: Whitlock sucks.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
On a kickoff, the clock only starts once the ball is touched. So from the time Hurd touched the ball to the time Curtis recovered and was touched down was 2 seconds? That's not so unbelievable.

And saying that another second or two could have run off if the proper call were made on the TO drop??? They initially ruled that he CAUGHT the ball then ran it down to 1 second before we spiked it. Since it was overturned, they had to go back to replay to see when the ball hit the ground. Then we kicked a FG that was 5-10 yards longer than it would have been had that play been upheld. To say we got more of an advantage because of the replay is just looking for something to cry about. not that it surprises me.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Who cares about a second here or there... Folk was kicking that field goal wherever we ended up, and he was gonna make it!

I'm thinking that Folk has such brass balls, he'd have kicked it from 60 if he'd had to... twice! :p:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
theogt;1703204 said:
Doesn't the clock start running when it's touched? If so, are they saying that 4-5 seconds should have run off between the time when Hurd touched it and Curtis fell on it?

Yes. This clown is a moron.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
canters;1703205 said:
"Dallas' defense ain't that good. It's inexcusable given all the extra possessions that the Buffalo offense could produce just three points."

More idle BS chat from the drive by media types. :banghead:

Keep it up guys. We wil surprise you.

Exactly.

The Bills "O" scores 3 pts. Hell, the Rams "O" didn't even score on the Boys. 3 pts. given up in 2 weeks, the "D" isn't that good. :laugh1:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
If there had been a less time left on the clock, the Cowboys would have approached the two final pass plays (immediately prior to the field goal attempt) differently.

But I do agree that the Bills offense stinks. The ineptness of the Bills offense was a big part of what made the Cowboys comeback possible. Well, that and divine intervention.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
How about Bobby Carpenter being held on the kickoff return? Or the TO forceout or pass interence by Greer on the 2-Point Conversion? Or how about the Cowboys killing the clock and them saying they were beeped first. BS, i have never seen a challenge from upstairs happen that quickly.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I'm someone who normally argues against the whole "media person x hates the cowboys" argument. But from what I've read of Whitlock, he is a Cowboy hater. The only national media type that's worse is Bayless.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1703204 said:

That's exactly what they're saying.

MORONS.

The clock starts as soon as Hurd touched it, there's NO WAY IN HELL 4-5 seconds went off the clock from that time to the time Curtis fell on it. On an onside kick the clock stops as soon as someone recovers it and gets on the ground. Curtis was already ON the ground when he recovered it.

These guys are full of manure.

The time went off right on TO's dropped pass too. I have it on tivo, I've already timed it.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It took four seconds from when Hurd touched the ball until the referees signaled to stop the clock, but they were slow in making that signal after Curtis recovered it.

Also, on our TD drive, Wade called timeout with 26 seconds on the clock, but the clock didn't stop until there were 24 seconds left. Just ask Dick Jauron -- timeouts are instantaneous, right?

And like ZeroClub said, if there were 16 seconds left instead of 18 after the onside kick, we would have done things differently. We probably wouldn't have thrown the deep pass to Owens, since we might not have had time to spike it. Instead, we probably would have thrown the two short passes right away.

sacase

Reaction score
Whitless is a moron. The OFFICAL time is kept on the field. The clock in the stadium can read 10:00 left but if the official time reads 00:01 then that is how much time is left.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If the clock operator at the stadium in Buffalo had been doing his job, it would never have come down to what the officials said.

I guarantee you could take any game, start looking with the first quarter, go all the way through, and count at least a total 30 accumulated seconds that were incorrectly taken off the clock, or 30 accumulated seconds that were incorrectly added to it.

This guy waits 59:42 into the game to start splitting hairs. Meaningless.