News: Frederick officially put on retired list. Saves Cowboys $7 million in cap room

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Hoping to sign Jadaveon Clowney (cut Crawford) and/or trade for Jamal Adams.

Defense needs more disruptors.

Cannot believe the lack of appreciation for how Clowney can just take over games, even when offenses are keyed against him. Sacks are nice but need to look deeper into his impact vs. both pass and run, Clowney is a takeaway artist.

There is no player on Cowboys as freakishly explosive as Clowney.

I watch the Texans every week end here in San Antonio when he played there.

Watt benefited Clowney enormously. Not so much the other way around.

Clowney is sort of a Free Lancer and he only wants sacks.

Just my 2 cents.

Let him play for Seattle. They did not want him back.

That should tell you what you need to know. If 2 SB teams with SB hopes will not sign him..

why would we?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I watch the Texans every week end here in San Antonio when he played there.

Watt benefited Clowney enormously. Not so much the other way around.

Clowney is sort of a Free Lancer and he only wants sacks.

Just my 2 cents.

Let him play for Seattle. They did not want him back.

That should tell you what you need to know. If 2 SB teams with SB hopes will not sign him..

why would we?

Seahawks offered 16M, so saying they dont want him is dishonest.

And I may be wrong but perhaps my eyesight is not as good as yours, but did not see JJ Watt in either of those vids I provided.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Seahawks offered 16M, so saying they dont want him is dishonest.

And I may be wrong but perhaps my eyesight is not as good as yours, but did not see JJ Watt in either of those vids I provided.
Not trying to be dishonest.

Its just a statement describing what has happened so far. If they wanted him for whatever reason, he would be with a team.

That's all.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Talking about Lawrence. You say he is no good at it. Not to mention we are still playing a 4-3.

Tank said it himself that he's never played standing up (3-4 OLB) that was why he called DWare for pointers.

Cowboys will be playing a hybrid D scheme.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tank said it himself that he's never played standing up (3-4 OLB) that was why he called DWare for pointers.

Cowboys will be playing a hybrid D scheme.

Hence why I said I have NEVER seen him play stand up.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hence why I said I have NEVER seen him play stand up.

Hence Clowney is OBVIOUSLY better 3-4 OLB then Tank.

Not just because he is a freak athlete but he is also more knowledgeable playing the different EDGE positions.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Not just because he is a freak athlete but he is also more knowledgeable playing the different EDGE positions.

But what does that really say? I personally believe Lawrence is going to be terrible as a LB in a 34. Clowney being better doesn't mean he will be good or make us better. I don't know, I'd rather stay clear of Clowney for the money he is reportedly demanding. We can't even sign our own guys at this point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cowboys play a 4-3. They will mix it up here and there. And since you haven't seen Lawrence do it, you have no idea if he will be good at it or not. I have no doubt the guy can rush from anywhere. Stand up or hands on the ground.

I like Clowney, but nowhere near the price he is asking. He is also a big injury risk and really hasn't blossomed like he was supposed to. What did he have 4 sacks last year?

I watched a game or two where he seemed unstoppable. Not sure why his sack numbers aren't better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But what does that really say? I personally believe Lawrence is going to be terrible as a LB in a 34. Clowney being better doesn't mean he will be good or make us better. I don't know, I'd rather stay clear of Clowney for the money he is reportedly demanding. We can't even sign our own guys at this point.

Why would they ask Tank to do anything but rush the passer from a standup position? They aren't going to put the guy in coverage. This is still a 4-3.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

If Clowney is better than Tank in new D scheme, how does that NOT make us better?

Aldon is 30 and FIVE years removed from the last season he played NFL ball. And Randy has yet to even be reinstated and 1.5 years removed from pro ball. There are also whispers that his heart is not in game anymore. What happens if one or both receive another failed test on top of their rustiness, off field issues?

I would love for Jelks, Anae, Armstrong to step up but "hope" is not a plan. And while these 3 should be able to play 3-4 OLB, neither have the athletic ability or pedigree, never mind production.

Cowboys need a championship contending defense to go along with their top 3 offense. Upgrade at EDGE and SS will take this D to next level.

At 27, Clowney is both the better fit and more disruptive player than Griffen.

https://insidethestar.com/3-reasons-everson-griffen-doesnt-make-sense-for-the-dallas-cowboys/

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Why would they ask Tank to do anything but rush the passer from a standup position? They aren't going to put the guy in coverage. This is still a 4-3.

You obviously have no clue as to the advantages and nuances of 3-4 so I will stop trying to hammer what I thought was an obvious point.

The 4-3 rushes the same 4 guys, the 3-4 provides an optional 5th rusher. That 5th rusher cannot be predictable otherwise there is no advantage.

Holy crap, why is that concept so hard to comprehend?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If Clowney is better than Tank in new D scheme, how does that NOT make us better?

Aldon is 30 and FIVE years removed from the last season he played NFL ball. And Randy has yet to even be reinstated and 1.5 years removed from pro ball. There are also whispers that his heart is not in game anymore. What happens if one or both receive another failed test on top of their rustiness, off field issues?

I would love for Jelks, Anae, Armstrong to step up but "hope" is not a plan. And while these 3 should be able to play 3-4 OLB, neither have the athletic ability or pedigree, never mind production.

Cowboys need a championship contending defense to go along with their top 3 offense. Upgrade at EDGE and SS will take this D to next level.

At 27, Clowney is both the better fit and more disruptive player than Griffen.

https://insidethestar.com/3-reasons-everson-griffen-doesnt-make-sense-for-the-dallas-cowboys/

Pretty easily. Being better doesn't mean good. Just means he might not be as bad. That doesn't mean he's good.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You obviously have no clue as to the advantages and nuances of 3-4 so I will stop trying to hammer what I thought was an obvious point.

The 4-3 rushes the same 4 guys, the 3-4 provides an optional 5th rusher. That 5th rusher cannot be predictable otherwise there is no advantage.

Holy crap, why is that concept so hard to comprehend?

Umm...……...so what? We are going to still going to be a 4-3.

Why would I care if Tank can play outside backer in the 3-4?

Who do you think are going to be the 3 down lineman when we occasionally mix it up with a 3-4 look?

Lawrence, Poe, McCoy. Or I could see Crawford, Poe, McCoy

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Umm...……...so what? We are going to still going to be a 4-3.

Why would I care if Tank can play outside backer in the 3-4?

Who do you think are going to be the 3 down lineman when we occasionally mix it up with a 3-4 look?

Lawrence, Poe, McCoy. Or I could see Crawford, Poe, McCoy

Ah, I understand now. You have no clue about the hybrid defense.