Free-agent CB Law closing in on a contract

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Jets notebook: Free-agent CB Law closing in on a contract
Saturday, July 30, 2005
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Talks are getting serious between the Jets and free-agent cornerback Ty Law, and if he passes a physical and is impressive during an upcoming workout, he'll likely sign with the club, according to someone with knowledge of the negotiations.

Presumably Law will lower his asking price, which is reportedly $6 million to $7 million per season, or the Jets will satisfy his demands in another way, perhaps with more upfront money.

"Ty is just waiting for some of this two-a-day stuff to pass," said the person. "He's smart."

The Jaguars, Lions and Chiefs are also interested, but the Jets seem to have the inside track because of Law's close relationship with coach Herman Edwards, running back Curtis Martin and defensive back coach Corwin Brown, who played with Law in college (Michigan) and the NFL (Patriots).

Martin, who played with Law at New England and remains close to him, didn't deny he was recruiting him.

"I've spoken to him a few times," Martin said with a smile. "We're friends. We hang out together."

Veteran CB Ray Mickens, who has longed to start and is currently working with the first team, would again be cast in his familiar role as a nickel back should the Jets sign Law.

"I can't worry about things that I can't control," Mickens said. "Ty is a great cornerback and I don't know one team that wouldn't want him. ... It's not about me; it's about getting a great player when he's available."

Meanwhile, CB Justin Miller, the rookie second-round pick, was impressive on the first day, drawing praise from Edwards.

WR Wayne Chrebet lost 14 pounds in the past month and reported to camp at 180 pounds, his weight his rookie season. He said he lost the weight for "healthy concerns" by simply working out.

Curtis Martin, 32, said he once again ran the famous Santa Monica, Calif., steps this off-season, a 200-step incline on the side of a mountain. This time, though, he intensified his workouts....

The Jets, spurred by their visit to Albany last summer, revamped their cafeteria at Hofstra. They now have different food-group stations, a smoothy mixed-drinks station, video games, couches, a pingpong table, big-screen TVs and beach umbrellas on some tables.

Former Australian Football League star Ben Graham was booming punts and the kicks have a unique, helicopter-like rotation, making them difficult to catch. ... Second-year SS Oliver Celestin and fifth-year TE Chris Baker started at their respective postions....

TE Doug Jolley and WR Jerricho Cotchery made several nice grabs. ... LB Kenyatta Wright (foot) was placed on the physically unable to perform list and free-agent RB Vick King retired.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1122699268294560.xml&coll=1

I'm getting worried about Pete Hunter.........hope he at least makes the team!!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
A bit more on the Law thing from the NY Daily News.

Curtis hoping Jets
will get Law on their side

If the Jets sign free-agent CB Ty Law, they won't hear any guff from Curtis Martin. Martin and Law, both drafted by the Patriots in 1995, are close friends. They speak regularly, and Martin, playing the role of recruiter, is trying to sell Law on the Jets.

"If we could (sign him), it would be good," the Jets' running back said yesterday. "Ty is a premier corner. He's a good guy you could depend on to basically shut down one side of the field. He's a good friend of mine. I'd love to play with him, but I have no say on that."

It has been speculated that Law prefers the Jets over the other teams courting him (the Lions, Jaguars and Chiefs). Asked about Law's reported affinity for the Big Apple, Martin said, "I know Ty likes New York a lot."

But know this: There's an enormous gap in the negotiations. If Law doesn't significantly drop his asking price, a deal won't happen.

The player most affected by a Law signing would be CB Ray Mickens, who is battling Pete Hunter and rookie Justin Miller for Donnie Abraham's old starting job. Mickens said he wouldn't mind if the Jets sign Law.

"If they want Ty Law, it's not a snub at all," Mickens said. "He's a great player. If he came to our team, I'd gladly accept him."

LIGHT WAYNE: Wayne Chrebet reported to camp 14 pounds lighter than he weighed last month, a dramatic loss for a 188-pound wide receiver. He said he dropped the weight by working out. He also attributed it to "a couple of health concerns." Chrebet recently had his tonsils removed, temporarily curtailing his appetite.

"I'm as ready as I've ever been," he said, claiming to be rejuvenated by the change in offensive coordinators.

NICE PICK: The star of the day was Miller, a second-round pick. He intercepted a pass in each practice, both on deep passes. Herm Edwards, perhaps sending a message to Law's agents, gushed about Miller's talent. . . . New TE Doug Jolley made a couple of nice grabs downfield.

FAN PARTICIPATION: Edwards lightened the mood when he invited a fan to join a special teams drill. A few minutes into the morning practice, Ray Hoffman, of Staten Island, yelled from the bleachers, "Hey, you need an extra tackling dummy?" Edwards shouted back, "Yeah, come on down."

Hoffman, wearing a "Captain Jet" costume that included a green cape and a Jets helmet with wings (we're not making this up), was handed a padded blocking shield and inserted into a drill. Three players ran full speed at the suddenly-jittery Hoffman, dodging him at the last second. The crowd got a kick out of it.

Rich Cimini