Free Safety Trade Deadline Watch: ARZ Antoine Bethea

_sturt_

Reaction score
If we defeat the Commanders next Sunday, I'm one of those who think we'll be among those actively hunting deals with the sell-off teams, and primarily seeking a not-too-expensive stabilizing force at free safety.

Bethea is probably the best bet, imo, looking at the options among the 1-win teams.

He's old, but that's okay, because that also means he wouldn't cost as much. He's still making plays this season, and he's been durable over his career.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Eh, depends on the cost, sure he's a fine add, but he isn't going to bring this defense to another level. We're #1 in the NFC, #1/2 in the league, I'd rather add a WR or TE.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Eh, depends on the cost, sure he's a fine add, but he isn't going to bring this defense to another level. We're #1 in the NFC, #1/2 in the league, I'd rather add a WR or TE.

Had we had more competent safety play, it is easily argued that we would stand at 4-2 today. And, it's not a salary that would be significant enough to eliminate the possibility of a good, proven, dependable, healthy WR... assuming one were to become available, right?

2018-10-18_0010.png

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Had we had more competent safety play, it is easily argued that we would stand at 4-2 today. And, it's not a salary that would be significant enough to eliminate the possibility of a good, proven, dependable, healthy WR... assuming one were to become available, right?
After doing some reading together, I have changed my mind and agree.

I would make the trade.

Heath currently ranks #76 in the league per PFF, Woods ranks #77.

There are only 83 players that qualify based on downs played to be ranked.

Chris Hogan is the WR I'd target. I think we could afford both Hogan and Bethea.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'll get McClay on the phone, then, and we'll get this done. :)

Surprised to hear that Hogan's being made available.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I'll get McClay on the phone, then, and we'll get this done. :)

Surprised to hear that Hogan's being made available.
Yep, we've been rumored to be interested. Given they grabbed Gordon and Edelman is back, they can spare him, and we all know Bill B. loves picks. I'd expect it to cost a 4th + 5th/6th. Maybe he sees potential in Rico and we can throw him in to get it over the line.