Fridge - high pitch noise/whine

kmp77

Reaction score
So I'm at my parents and their house is an open floor plan. So you can hear the fridge and it gives off this high pitch whine. It's getting really annoying. The fridge is only a few years old and I think it's always made this noise. So don't think anything is going out. Anyone have experience with loud fridges and what to do about it? Other than pushing it outside and beating it with a bat...which i'm close to doing.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
My fridge was making such a noise early on. My bro-in-law said something is loose in the motor, but it hasn't died or given out in the 8 years I've had it and it kind of just went away. I can't guarantee that's your problem, but that's how it went over here. :)

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I'd call a repair company and see what they say. I don't know.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tip the fridge slightly forward while it is whining and see if it stops. Very slightly. If it does stop, adjust the leveler feet or rollers in the back a little. The whine is probably just the compressor being slightly tilted so that the coolant level is throwing the motor off slightly. Also a good idea to clean out any and all dust bunnies as they can make the parts hotter.