FSN Cowboys Report 8/5 recap

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I am watching this as I go, will come back and give more detail

now this first is what cowboy fans have coming up. so after tonight, and thursday night, you should have plenty to keep you busy and not needing recaps for awhile till preseason games are starting, and wade and jerry recap of games, etc.

tonight, you have 2 great shows probably coming on;
1st 7 to 9 pm, suppose to be the great cowboys vikings 1975 Hail Mary Pass(this will be on nfl network) someone will post the show on his site, so enjoy, cowboys media
2. HBO hardknocks

Now on to the practice on cowboys training camp on FSN
first talking about the wrs, lots of footage with the wrs in contention
showed footage of T O some, then lots more of Crayton, then more on Hurd, with lots of passes from brad johnson to hurd,

went to MIles austin, nate and brad showed that he makes some big catches, but he doesnt necessarily take the short sideline pass that he needs to make. So, he needs to make that big sideline pass so the team can keep moving the chains. Expecting big things from Austin way nate and brad put it.

Next went to stanback and amondola. Stanback has the best talent in the world out of alll these wrs behind T O, is the way nate and brad put it. More passes from brad johnson, seems the cowboys in footage film were trying to get stanback in and out of his breaks more. It helps that these wrs are working with the ball machine that throws out the football *forgot what you call the machine) but seems like stanback and amondola are making some moves

on to amodola, nate said he has great quickness and speed, which it showed on film footage, some great coverage by 23 on a wr shown too, back to amondola said he needs to be more consistent.

I havent heard that on the boards, but thats what nate said; for whatever its worth

then went to watkins and courtney brown, saying while showing footage of courtney brown, he will be stepping in place of watkins so in this game against san diego the cowboys can see how he works in dime defense, some good footage of brown and davis, dewayne davis, he has some work to do nate said, but seems to have something to him, some footage of davis too

mikedy said columbo and george got into it in a fight, showed the fight some;
talked about the defensive guys wearing the speaker in their helmet that is allowed now, showed footage of flozell and bigg leonard davis walking onto the field.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
also dont forget today you have ktbb with some interviews, just check the board for whom is going to be on, be alert today and tomorrow, jerry jones and wade philips havent come into smoakys for chat yet, they may still do that, before smoaky breaks camp on 7th;

next, you have fsn cowboys, then you have brady tinker on dfw sports beat, new show thursday;

next on saturday on espn 2 you have dallas cowboys year book, then at 8 you have cowboys countdown to game, then game, also nfl network will air the game too, so enjoy the full loaded stuff coming up

then sunday mornings on 51 in east tx, should be fox station, will be jerry jones edition, so plenty to keep you filled on cowboys news, with our super guys star gazer, he will put up the hbo stuff and some nfl network stuff, including the hail mary pass tonight, plenty to watch and enjoy, while DC, theebs, Hostile will have plenty to add, and our great lady woodysgirl always puts up super stuf too, and countless others do too; so enjoy; joe

dre1614

Reaction score
Nate said they want to see how Courtney Brown does in dime packages................
I thought he took over in Nickel packages also?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2177568 said:
It helps that these wrs are working with the ball machine that throws out the football *forgot what you call the machine) but seems like stanback and amondola are making some moves

I believe they call it JUGS.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I love all the information you get on this site. If this site ever went down, I might consider a move to Peru.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
refering to courtney brown, he hasnt taken over the spot in dime packages entirely, this is what i understand from what has been posted on boards, etc

the cowboys know what watkins can do, in dime etc, now they want to see what courtney brown does with first team, like nate and brad mentioned, you might not see hamlin too much.

so the cowboys with courtney browns great range, like courtney runs the 40 in 4.38, whereas watkins runs it in 4.46 i think, both have great jumping ability of about 41 1/2 vertical leap

so the cowboys with having watkins playing now for 3 to 4 years, the cowboys want to see how brown reacts with his great speed at free safety in dime packages etc, to playing the run and tackling too, they already know what watkins can do

its kinda like the Landry rule, you give a player 3 years to see what he does, watkins has already had time time frame, now they want to see if brown can do more with his great speed, i think he would be the fastest fs the cowboys would have playing since cliff harris;

so you look at that and go from there, if brown can tackle etc, then boom more range in coveagess etc

thats right, i think its called the juggs machine, thanks nyc

dre1614

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2177732 said:
refering to courtney brown, he hasnt taken over the spot in dime packages entirely, this is what i understand from what has been posted on boards, etc

the cowboys know what watkins can do, in dime etc, now they want to see what courtney brown does with first team, like nate and brad mentioned, you might not see hamlin too much.

so the cowboys with courtney browns great range, like courtney runs the 40 in 4.38, whereas watkins runs it in 4.46 i think, both have great jumping ability of about 41 1/2 vertical leap

so the cowboys with having watkins playing now for 3 to 4 years, the cowboys want to see how brown reacts with his great speed at free safety in dime packages etc, to playing the run and tackling too, they already know what watkins can do

its kinda like the Landry rule, you give a player 3 years to see what he does, watkins has already had time time frame, now they want to see if brown can do more with his great speed, i think he would be the fastest fs the cowboys would have playing since cliff harris;

so you look at that and go from there, if brown can tackle etc, then boom more range in coveagess etc

Thanks, do you happen to know who are the 2 safeties in nickel packages?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2177732 said:

This site has Watkins list as 4.42.... I think he is faster than that but may the best man win. I'm an FSU fan so I have some bias but my love for the cowboys outranks all.
:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
dre not sure, i do know was mentioned last night, the cowboys want to look at courtney brown and dewayne davis;

hamlin might play some but not much i am thinking, in this kind of game especially after the 1st quarter, most teams look at their rookies, 1st and 2nd year players, they have to have pracitice time in games to evaluate them before cuts are made

i am sure that watkins will get some playing time, so will roy willams i am sure, probably not too much but some, also possibliity look for henry in some packages too at safety, remember the cowboys were working him at safety some covering tight ends, thats the package the cowboys want to use, when playing great TE;s like Shockey--now Boss, whom is a big young TE, Clevelands TE Winslow Kellen Jr i think, Commanders Cooley, etc,

you might see some dime packages too with just one safety, and more cornerbacks, mind u not the whole packages because the cowboys would want to catch teams off guard, but some packages, with roy williams more at line of scrimmages,

some packages with burnett and carpenter on field at same time too, because thats their strenght in coverages,

as you probably read on one of the cowboys board, jason witten was yelling at bradie james try to cover me or something like that, thats why the cowboys in certain packages want to put henry, anthony on the tight end

hope that helps,

dre1614

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2177748 said:
dre not sure, i do know was mentioned last night, the cowboys want to look at courtney brown and dewayne davis;

hamlin might play some but not much i am thinking, in this kind of game especially after the 1st quarter, most teams look at their rookies, 1st and 2nd year players, they have to have pracitice time in games to evaluate them before cuts are made

i am sure that watkins will get some playing time, so will roy willams i am sure, probably not too much but some, also possibliity look for henry in some packages too at safety, remember the cowboys were working him at safety some covering tight ends, thats the package the cowboys want to use, when playing great TE;s like Shockey--now Boss, whom is a big young TE, Clevelands TE Winslow Kellen Jr i think, Commanders Cooley, etc,

you might see some dime packages too with just one safety, and more cornerbacks, mind u not the whole packages because the cowboys would want to catch teams off guard, but some packages, with roy williams more at line of scrimmages,

some packages with burnett and carpenter on field at same time too, because thats their strenght in coverages,

as you probably read on one of the cowboys board, jason witten was yelling at bradie james try to cover me or something like that, thats why the cowboys in certain packages want to put henry, anthony on the tight end

hope that helps,

appreciate it.:)

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the cowboys also covered the tight ends, with curtis and bennett behind witten

showed some catches by curtis and bennett, both as you know are huge tight ends

i still think the dark horse could be rodney hannah, he is huge too, at 6-6 255 with 4.75 in 40, good speed

basically saying that curtis needs to step up some, and bennett is slowly coming around, at least thats what i got out of conversation, like john garrett and jason garrett have said, bennett has lots to do still for being a rookie

like mentioned on one play on board, the other players were in the huddle and john screamed at bennett come on, were waiting on you;

but bennett blocking has gotten better than from the first couple of days

keep your eye on dewayne davis too, he has somethign i am hearing, good speed for a safety, like 4.46, in 40; and he played cb, which makes him better in coverage, hearing he is slowly coming around, and as you know wade singled him out the other day

so all in all, the secondary, with cbs first is loaded,;
newman coming around, like mickey said, Henry play some safety in obvious passing downs, adam jones when reisntated, mike jenkins slowly coming around, they showed some interceptions and pass breakups by jenkins and olgesby;
scandrick whom they are saying now has it all, just needs technique work;
olgesby;, then ball coming back from injury

then to safeties, hamlin, roy williams i hear is coming on some; watkins, davis and courtney brown with alan ball in the mix somewhere,

so looks like the cowboys could have a top notch secondary by midseason

then you add in this; all of this tough competition makes it great for the young wrs, austin, hurd, crayton, amondola, like michaell irwin said, when more competition of good players, thats makes your team better so when game time comes around boom, your players have already played against top talent and they are ready;

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
dre1614;2177666 said:
Nate said they want to see how Courtney Brown does in dime packages................
I thought he took over in Nickel packages also?

NEVER mention "dime" and "Nate" in the same sentence!