FTF: Cris Carter on Mangini: Do the Cowboys have a SB caliber defense?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, even the 20th defense can be super bowl caliber if they have the right qb
We will now see "how good" Wince makes the iggles with Nick Foles gone and your defense losing key players while getting worse and old (went from ranked Top 5 during 2017 SB Championship season to 12th rank last year).

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Tap Tap
Tap The Breaks

The draft has to land us two day 1 starters, DL and S..

Or some big fa’s...

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
He also nailed it by saying that he worries about bringing in players to make the qb better where it should be the qb should elevate everyone else's game if you going to pay him all that money.
Yeah i agree they should throw dak to gutter and go pick a rodgers, brees, or brady from the QB tree from the botanical garden in the back of ATT stadium.....

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
They don't have a defense that can lead a team to the Super Bowl. They are weak in the middle of the DL and did next to nothing to address it in FA. Christian Covington doesn't count.

This is what got them eliminated in the playoffs and if they played that game again today I would expect the same result.

They best draft that DL interior earlier and not the Rod your a "studth" 7 round special or it may be more of the same!

S needs to be addressed earlier as well, they need more talent back there to be sure, we know Heath is not to be unseated...:eek::rolleyes:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Debbie downer. Let's just forfeit the draft altogether. At least try LOL

I just look at the draft as more for the future. It's not for immediate upgrades most of the time really. Certain positions and picks can be but not the ones Dallas needs.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
No problem StarBoyz. FA is a good tool to replace a few (and I wish we could do more), yet most talent is drafted and developed with a few sprinkles. A few trades here and there.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The Jones boys keep talking about getting after the passer, how about stopping the run against better o-lines? We need some big nasty up front..we don't have that yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah i agree they should throw dak to gutter and go pick a rodgers, brees, or brady from the QB tree from the botanical garden in the back of ATT stadium.....

So then you do agree that Dak shouldn't be paid what those quarterbacks you mentioned are being paid.

jnday

Reaction score
What got them killed by the Rams was Marinelli and his stupid 4-2-5 scheme. (And Marinellis stubborn refusal to change.)

The Rams killed that defense.
Marinelli hurts the defense more than he helps them. He has always held the defense back with his stubborn ideals, but fans still thinks he is some kind of defensive guru. He needs to be put out in the pasture for good.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Marinelli hurts the defense more than he helps them. He has always held the defense back with his stubborn ideals, but fans still thinks he is some kind of defensive guru. He needs to be put out in the pasture for good.

im not hating this, a DL guy should be brought in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jones boys keep talking about getting after the passer, how about stopping the run against better o-lines? We need some big nasty up front..we don't have that yet.

And that's certainly where teams are going to test this defense in 2019. They will be poring over the film from the Rams game, and if those same tells that the Rams killed us with are still there, everyone will be gashing this team with the run.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
im not hating this, a DL guy should be brought in.

Journeymen, headcases, retreads, and a third round pick. That sums up the "investments" that this team has put into the defensive tackle position for about the past decade. Certainly for as long as Marinelli has been here.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Journeymen, headcases, retreads, and a third round pick. That sums up the "investments" that this team has put into the defensive tackle position for about the past decade. Certainly for as long as Marinelli has been here.

i agree. im all for it, give it to Richard and let him ad WIll C fill it.

DallasMike

Reaction score
Like I said sb isnt happening but i do back the defense. The defense is why Dallas made the playoffs last year which people seem to ignore. Luckily the nfce is weak so Dallas has a decent shot at making the playoffs.

That and Alex Smith going down.

Not sure the NFCE is that weak. Both teams that made the playoffs came close to making it to the NFC championship game. Dallas took a dump against the Rams. Stopped the run most of the year and shut down Seattle's #1 rushing attack in the WC game. That Rams game was a letdown, but I don't see CJ doing that again. Not to mention he bounced around last season and after what he did to Dallas, still cannot find a job. More so Philly is thatball doesn't get through Ashlon's hands. And we see how Dallas beat the Saints last year.

Last edited: