Juggernaut

Reaction score
qXsORjd.gif
:lmao2:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This image is not funny, but it's extremely bad***!

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/-hBM-YjyA2yY/XBHK9gUIS5I/AAAAAAAFeJQ/n3GSZ4rCdUUq7SlPsV6duFlIWHHR13VswCJoC/w356-h200-rw/juno-flyaround2.gif
Looks created/generated. The rotation is mostly smooth, but the light source jumps periodically.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a NASA image. It's still images composed into an animation. I don't believe any of their spacecraft taking full video.
I am very familiar with how NASA space photos work and their limitations which is why I specifically addressed my point.

My point was that the rotation of the planet is smooth (consistent), meaning there are consistent (photo) frames for it. However, the light source abruptly shifts every few frames considerably (jumps).

If they were taking a photo every let's say 60 seconds (or 5 minutes or 30 minutes, etc.) and then splicing them together as frames to create a video-like animation, the light source should move at the same "frame rate" as the planet even if the light source was moving slower or faster than the planet's rotation.

Now, it is possible they are using computer animation to simulate (aka: generate) planet frames (to show what the missing frames would look like) to create the illusion of rotation. Which is exactly why I said, it looks "created/generated" ... I did not say "fake".

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I am very familiar with how NASA space photos work and their limitations which is why I specifically addressed my point.

My point was that the rotation of the planet is smooth (consistent), meaning there are consistent (photo) frames for it. However, the light source abruptly shifts every few frames considerably (jumps).

If they were taking a photo every let's say 60 seconds (or 5 minutes or 30 minutes, etc.) and then splicing them together as frames to create a video-like animation, the light source should move at the same "frame rate" as the planet even if the light source was moving slower or faster than the planet's rotation.

Now, it is possible they are using computer animation to simulate (aka: generate) planet frames (to show what the missing frames would look like) to create the illusion of rotation. Which is exactly why I said, it looks "created/generated" ... I did not say "fake".

There are several possibilities. They have different types of cameras that record images in different ways and spectrums. You of course have straight monochromatic cameras that then use a filter to record light from specific color spectrum. This can affect the brightness of specific colors if they use more of that filter at that specific point. (think longer exposure in a dark room causing the room to look completely lit up)

They could also be recording in non-visible light spectrum. My guess is that they are taking all different types of images, then trying to thread them together and get the colors as close as possible so it looks okay. That type of image is solely a social media type image for them. Most of the images they really use aren't gussied up like that. While they do create false color images, that is mainly to highly specific amounts of a specific spectrum. Like say they want to see how much helium is in it so they will use a filter that allows mostly helium though (like RGB filters) then use software like Photoshop to change that spectrum of light to a color that sticks out and easier to see.

For instance look at these images of the Rosette Nebula. Most of the time when I was taking images of the sky, I was using LRGB + Ha filters.
  • L = Luminence (ie, no filter at all. Raw light in black and white. This is usually to record details)
  • R = Red
  • G = Green
  • B = Blue
  • Ha = Hydrogen Alpha. (basically a very small spectrum in the overall red spectrum. It's the color that hydrogen reflects)

Below you see a picture of the same Rosette Nebula, but taking using different filters on a monochromatic camera. (ie black and white)

• H-Alpha = Same as Ha above. Hydrogen alpha
  • OIII = Oxygen III. It's the color that oxygen reflects
  • SII = Sulfur II. The color that sulfur reflects
They can use these to help determine the makeup of clouds in space or as in the images of Jupiter. The make up of the clouds of Jupiter. They will blend all the frames together to get an overall composition of the cloud. The HST image (stands for Hubble Palette) is a blending of the Ha, OIII, and SII into a single photo and it generates a very telling image. They apply colors to the black and white images you see of the single filter. Remember, its a monochrome camera, so it only records in black and white. They just apply color to the light that came through. (ie, false color)

guide-to-imaging-filters_9.jpg