Funny TB Buccaneer anecdotes

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Some of these I've heard but a couple caught me off guard.

• True: The Bucs went 0-14 their first season. They were 0-12 in their second season before winning against New Orleans and St. Louis. Both New Orleans coach Hank Stram and St. Louis coach Don Coryell were fired.

• True: Sam Wyche once had the Bucs practice halftime.

• True: The Bucs once allowed the Jets to score an uncontested touchdown to get the ball back and give James Wilder a shot at a yardage record. After the game, outraged Jets quarterback Ken O'Brien challenged John McKay to a fight. McKay said "Let's go." They never did. Oh, yeah:

Wilder didn't get the record.

• True: The Bucs were getting killed at halftime when offensive tackle Ron Heller told his teammates not to quit. Happening by, Bucs coach Ray Perkins heard Heller using the word "quit." "Quit!" Perkins screamed.

He attacked Heller. Perkins broke a thumb trying to punch Heller in the head. Heller was wearing his helmet.

• True: McKay once broke a knuckle hitting a chalkboard at halftime.

• True: Bucs coach Richard Williamson asked whether he had spelled "MRI" correctly.

• True: A Bucs trainer once cut off the fingertip of Alvin Harper.

• True: Buc Ira Gordon complained to McKay: "Coach, I got the X-ray, but I don't feel better."

• True: The Bucs made Bo Jackson the first pick in the draft, despite the fact a source close to Jackson -- Jackson -- said he wouldn't play in Tampa Bay. At a news conference, Hugh Culverhouse recited Dionne Warwick's "That's What Friends Are For" and vowed to "keep smilin', keep shinin'."

• True: A writer asked John McKay about his team's execution. McKay didn't hesitate.

"I'm in favor of it."

• True: The Bucs went to overtime at New England. The Bucs won the coin toss, but Ray Perkins elected to kick to New England. The Patriots drove, then kicked the winning field goal.

• True: Gay Culverhouse, Hugh's daughter, was once in the team's front office. Attending a game in Green Bay, Gay exclaimed how proud she was that thousands of Bucs fans had made the trip wearing Bucs orange. A team official broke the news: "Those are hunting jackets."

• True: The Bucs had a kicker named Bill Capece who missed a field goal and an extra point in a loss. He was cut. "Capece is kaput," McKay said.

• True: That first season, the Bucs lost 42-0 at Pittsburgh. A newspaper photo showed a Buc named Ed McAleney smiling with 42-0 on the scoreboard in the background. The headline: "A Real Laugher." McAleney was released the next day.

• True: McKay came in the locker room to make a short announcement: "The bus leaves in an hour. Those of you who need to shower, do so."

• True: The Bucs drafted the wrong player because the team's representative in New York -- an equipment manager -- handed the wrong card in. Sean Farrell was picked instead of Booker Reese. The Bucs scrambled, trading a No. 1 pick from the next year to get Reese in the second round. Of course, Sean Farrell worked out fine and Booker Reese was a bust.

• True: Sean Farrell made a holiday appearance in Orlando. Someone asked him what he wanted for Christmas. "To get the hell out of Tampa Bay," Farrell said.

• True: After dozens of interceptions, the Bucs discovered Vinny Testaverde was color blind.

• True: The Bucs tried to hire Bill Parcells and ... well, you know.

• True: John McKay was holding a team meeting. "Gentlemen, losing starts with mistakes," he said, "losing starts with turnovers, losing starts with ..." McKay looked over at offensive lineman Howard Fest. He was fast asleep. "Fest!" McKay screamed. "Where does losing start?"

Howard Fest spoke. "Right here in Tampa Bay, coach."

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
...funny stuff...perkins was a real knucklehead....an Alabama grad????..an Alabama attendee...he got the gig to coach there after the NFL...said the Not For Long slogan applied to you too,Bub...before his first season there all he seemed to talk about was how he wanted to change the team hats....they were going to go back to white.maybe pink...(Alabama at one time...a long time ago was known as the pink elephants...speaking of nics(as I evidently am)...best nic...all time...currently out of favour...Nebraska...before cornhuskers....BUGEATERS....so new hats:still clueless coach...Bama dumped him...

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Buc Ira Gordon complained to McKay: "Coach, I got the X-ray, but I don't feel better."
A writer asked John McKay about his team's execution. McKay didn't hesitate.
"I'm in favor of it."

LMAO, that is hilarious!