Future at FS?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
no way...we already have a ton of money invested back there and have Roy's contract to extend soon

and for all the Ed Reed hype that goes on, how many plays did he make last yr? anyone...anyone?

its called overkill

David

IMO...ed reed went to the right place at the right time. his best years were a result of ray lewis being the best defensive player in football and chris mcallister being a great corner

put him on another team and hes still very good...but not as great

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Hokie CB pro day sighting… Figure that the wire will be full of stories late tomorrow on Texas QB Vince Young’s workout later today. For some reason that wasn’t the case for Virginia Tech CB Jimmy Williams, a top 15 prospect who didn’t run at the Combine, whose on-campus workout late last week went virtually unreported. We finally tracked some news over at The Sporting News. The news, though, wasn’t all that great for Williams, who measured in at 6-2, 216 and ran the 40 in the mid-4.4s, but reportedly wasn’t all that impressive in some of the other physical skills. For example, Williams was only able to post a 33 inch vertical leap and pressed only 12 reps benching 225 pounds, while his times in the quickness and agility portion of the drills were average at best. Those times, in fact, re-inforce concerns among some scouts that Williams lacked the overall athleticism to play corner at the next level. Indeed, several teams have reportedly taken Williams right off their boards, at least as a CB. Williams will still get a long look as a safety, the position he played early in his career, but his overall pre-draft grade likely took a major hit.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Simpson is a little light in the rear end.....180lbs? He needs some more rocks in his pockets.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you're going to get a guy with 4.5 speed, I'd rather get the interception machine in Anthony Smith.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Simpson is a little light in the rear end.....180lbs? He needs some more rocks in his pockets.

He got a 10 on the Wonderlic. Apparently the rocks are in his head.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
If you're going to get a guy with 4.5 speed, I'd rather get the interception machine in Anthony Smith.

anthony smith from syracuse??

b/c if your talking about him i just dont remember him making that many plays and i tried to watch all of their games living like an hour away

cleverusername

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Actually there are a lot of good to great FS prospects in this draft.

I think this was the plan all along.

Round 1 or 2 look for guys like -

Jimmy Williams - VT
M. Huff - TX
KO Simpson - SC
D Slay - TX TCH
D. Bullocks - NEB
D. Whitner - OH ST
J. Allen - TEN
P. Watkins - FL ST.

This was in no order, but all could be really good picks. FS is really deep in this draft IMO.

D Slay - TX TCH,

Did play free but he is more of a strong safety. This guy is a phenomenal hitter though. I'm talking roy williams type hits. I got to watch a lot of games at tech and he was the best player to watch IMO.

lkelly

Reaction score
Someone else to watch could be Alan Zemaitis at Penn State. He played corner there (very well - should have been a Thorpe finalist), but he has the size for safety. He might not be an effective starter from day one because it is a new position, but he's a terrific DB. Another sleeper is Calvin Lowry from PSU who played safety. Probably a 4th or 5th rounder (maybe could sneak into the third).

Dallas has to decide if they want top round picks/expensive free agents at every secondary position. Most teams can't afford to do that.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
anthony smith from syracuse??

b/c if your talking about him i just dont remember him making that many plays and i tried to watch all of their games living like an hour away
Wow! You missed out on his 6 interceptions last year then.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Dallas is going to draft a FS on the first day - probably the second or third round. I think that Todd Bowles is a very good coach, and I think he'll have a big say on the player.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
cleverusername said:
D Slay - TX TCH,

Did play free but he is more of a strong safety. This guy is a phenomenal hitter though. I'm talking roy williams type hits. I got to watch a lot of games at tech and he was the best player to watch IMO.

Agree about Slay. I think he'll have to play strong safety in the NFL.

Jimmy Williams, supposedly, is a headcase and his stock is plummeting.

I really think Berriault has a chance to win the starting job. People compare him to Bill Bates, but Berriault is a much better athlete, as evidenced by his combine numbers.

IMO, Davis was a huge liability last year and his inability to handle the position puts added responsibility and pressure on Roy.

The void at FS is keeping Dallas' best playmaker hobbled.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think they have to address FS sometime on the first day of the draft. Davis and Pile were OK, but we still need an upgrade back there. And while everyone has high hopes for Berriault, he's still a major unknown. He could very well be a contributing player this season. Or he could just as easily need more time to make the transition to more of a FS role AND recover from injury.

Let's at least try to add a legit FS with speed, fluid hips and pass recognition skills on DAY 1. Probably not in the 1st, but 2nd or 3rd will be just fine.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
I am thinking more and more that we are going to address FS in the draft. In fact, I believe the three positions that we aren't going to fill before the draft are FS, OLB, and a back up at DT.

With this in mind, are there any future Ed Reed's in the upcoming draft?

Yes--Jimmy Williams big CB out of VT.....move him to saftey

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
silver said:
what about trading our 1st pick to Baltimore for Ed Reed?

consider it done!!!! Tnew-EReed-Rwill-Ahen oh man....have fun with that secondary

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Wow! You missed out on his 6 interceptions last year then.

i guess he had more than i thought...i suppose the fact that the defense was always on the field last year made everyone on that defense look a tad...anonymous