FWST Blog: Newman, Ellis Practice Update

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Practice update

From the 20 or so minutes we were allowed to watch practice ...
Cornerback Terence Newman was dressed and practicing.
Greg Ellis was dressed and doing some drills.

Newman should - and stress should - talk to the media today. But it's looking as if he's close to playing. He remains a game-time decision. Coach Wade Phillips said if Newman plays, he may not start but play nickel situations and that it's doubtful he would return punts.

As for Ellis ... well, time marches on.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 11:29 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
If Newman were to return a punt this week, Wade should be fired.

I still say Newman should sit this week just as a precaution.

As far as Ellis, I don't understand why some of you are counting on him for anything. Its an Achilles, he's not going to give us much anyway. Spencer is the future.

fweegy

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Ellis has no intention what-so-ever of playing this year. He only wants to get his coin and try and force his release before next year. He didn't get what he wanted this year, so he won't play this year, get his "lowly salary" this year, then move on.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Ellis was wrong to try to come back for the start of camp.

The typical recovery time for his injury is 12-18 months. If not for that ill-fated attempt, fans would be anticipating his return rather than moaning about it.

J-DOG

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1659412 said:

The typical recovery time for his injury is 12-18 months. If not for that ill-fated attempt, fans would be anticipating his return rather than moaning about it.
Agree.
Ellis's worrying and crying about his contract has skewed the fans view of him and this injury.
It takes a long time to recover from this injury...that's just a fact.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CowboyWay;1659388 said:
If Newman were to return a punt this week, Wade should be fired.

I still say Newman should sit this week just as a precaution.

As far as Ellis, I don't understand why some of you are counting on him for anything. Its an Achilles, he's not going to give us much anyway. Spencer is the future.
Understand from a coaches standpoint, its better to not tip your hand on anything. Make your opponent prepare for everything so they can't concentrate as much on specific things.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1659412 said:

I'm going to keep preaching this too SS.

hendog

Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that we are still searching for a punt returner. And I know T-New would be a good one but I'd rather have someone other than my shutdown CB handling that.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Ellis should continue to take his time.......especially if we are winning.....the goal is to make the playoffs.

then hit the teams with all we got for three tough weeks

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1659612 said:
Ellis should continue to take his time.......especially if we are winning.....the goal is to make the playoffs.

then hit the teams with all we got for three tough weeks

I agree, its more important that he is as close to 100% as possible at the end of the year. Hopefully Ellis and Tank can provide a nice spark down the stretch.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1659375 said:
Practice update

From the 20 or so minutes we were allowed to watch practice ...
Cornerback Terence Newman was dressed and practicing.
Greg Ellis was dressed and doing some drills.

Newman should - and stress should - talk to the media today. But it's looking as if he's close to playing. He remains a game-time decision. Coach Wade Phillips said if Newman plays, he may not start but play nickel situations and that it's doubtful he would return punts.

As for Ellis ... well, time marches on.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 11:29 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Ellis is saving himself for he 2009 season. :D

sago1

Reaction score
I've got no problem with Ellis taking his time to ensure he physically ready to play. The problem is we were lead to believe by the Cowboys that Ellis would be ready to go by TC which is only 8 months after he was injuried.

Cowboys should have realistically pointed out that it takes about 12 months to recover from achilles injury and been more cautious about saying he'd be ready by TC. Goes along with so many missed injury calls during TC and since then.

It's now only been 10 months since Ellis was hurt. If we lucky, he will be ready to go just before the bye week rolls around. If he can come back fully healthy (questionable) it would really help cause he'd have fresh legs and a big help down the stretch. It would also help to spell Spencer a little cause he might hit the rookie wall. Shortly after that maybe Johnson ready to help a little but will know more as his story unfolds.

Hopefully Newman healthy enough to return and then addition to Ellis and Johnson down the road should help our defense to finally become what we all envisioned -- an attacking defense to go with our attacking offense. Even if we lose against the Bears Sunday evening, we will see them again in January when we might be better prepared and they underestimating us.