FWST Blog: Roy to start, the holder is??

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Roy Williams will start

Cowboys receiver Roy Williams has been elevated to starter and Patrick Crayton is the No. 3 receiver for Sunday's game at Washington.

Williams has a better grasp of the playbook and is ready to be more fully integrated into the offense. Sunday will be his first game playing with quarterback Tony Romo. In three games with the Cowboys, Williams has three catches for 38 yards and one touchdown while playing with Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger.

Who's is the holder on this team?

Since the demotion of quarterback Brad Johnson, the Cowboys have been trying to find a replacement holder for extra points and field goals.

Kicker Nick Folk worked with receiver Patrick Crayton last week and punter Sam Paulescu on Monday. It sounds like it will be Paulescu's job. But Wade Phillips didn't rule out of the possibility of still using Johnson. That would be an unusual move because the third quarterback is typically inactive and used only in an emergency situation.

Folk will also have a big say in who gets to hold. After all, he has to find a comfort level the guy and be confident they work well together.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 03:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)
- Rick Herrin

DMN Blog:
Brad Johnson will probably be the holder
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Wade Phillips said he's leaning toward continuing to use Brad Johnson as the holder.

That presents a little roster management problem since Johnson has been demoted to the No. 3 quarterback, which usually counts as one of the eight inactive players. Phillips indicated that Johnson might be Romo's backup Sunday, with Brooks Bollinger as the emergency QB again. The other option is to have all three QBs on the 45-man roster, which means the coaches would find another player (likely CB Alan Ball) to make inactive.

Sam Paulescu and Patrick Crayton have worked at holder in practice, but they haven't earned Phillips' trust.

"I don't want to lose a ballgame because we don't have a good holder," Phillips said.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I've never been a kicker, but how much difference can a holder make. They all do the same thing if you ask me.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmm do you think good ole wade is spending enough time with the kickers and holders to get them ready

was reported from his good friend albert breer that wade was well known for not working with the special teams too much, that while in buffalo, denver, etc, that wade didnt put a whole lot of emphasis on the special teams with kicking, etc,

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If they decide to use Brad as the holder, using up a roster spot or making him Tony's back up, will further prove how stupid, clueless and unprepared Wade is.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2414943 said:
hmmmmmmmmm do you think good ole wade is spending enough time with the kickers and holders to get them ready

was reported from his good friend albert breer that wade was well known for not working with the special teams too much, that while in buffalo, denver, etc, that wade didnt put a whole lot of emphasis on the special teams with kicking, etc,

Or maybe Crayton and Paulescu simply aren't any good?

Can you imagine if we missed a FG to win a game at FedEx because our holder dropped the snap?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
holders can make all the difference, it has to do with the timing, of the holder, getting the ball down, putting the laces up

i remember way back in 1975, the cowboys were missing field goals right and left, i went to the stadium, saw charley waters right before the kicker kicked the ball, charleys top index finger would come off of the ball, and his 4th finger, while looking up at the goal posts before the kicker kicked the ball,

you could see the ball drift one way or the other right before the kicked kicked the ball, i sat down and wrote tex schramn that, he told me thank you back in a nice letter, next ball game, charley waters kept all fingers on the ball nad never looked up till after the kicker kicked the ball

so yesssssss holders make a big difference, its all timing, and getting used to each other

need i remind you, remember what happened in seattle a few years ago with romo holding the ball,

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2414953 said:
Or maybe Crayton and Paulescu simply aren't any good?

Can you imagine if we missed a FG to win a game at FedEx because our holder dropped the snap?
it's pass rush 187 fool!

Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:
I've never been a kicker, but how much difference can a holder make. They all do the same thing if you ask me.

Eagles paid Ty Dempner(Spelling) 850.000 to be holder.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2414960 said:
You mean Detmer?

He's a backup QB.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2414960 said:

Hey Koy is available, I see him all the time at the Gym he and his brother opened here in SA.

It's Koy not TY!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i think it has more to do with wade not spending the needed extra time to get it down,

even jimmy johnson said way back on special teams, whatever time you are spending on them, spend an hour more, then work on it more,

wade has been known not to spend time with the special teams department

that to me shows lack of like you say how clueless and unprepared wade is, and i totally agree with that statement,

any time a head coach that was known as the top defensive coordinator in the league and why jerry jones hired wade over turner, to fix the defense, but that head coach doesnt spend any time in defensive meetings, than i have a problem with that head coach

even tom landry when he had issues with punters or kickers, tom landry himself would spend time with them himself to get the problem fixed

you were hired as a head coach to get those problems fixed good ole wade, get off of your lazy rear end and do your job, no more excuses,

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
More exciting holder talk

Ok, Wade Phillips just filled us in on this holder situation. He is leaning toward keeping Brad Johnson as his holder and would move him back to the No. 2 quarterback slot. But they promoted Brooks Bollinger to No. 2, right?

Yes, so if Tony Romo was injured enough to get knocked out of the game the Cowboys would likely put in Bollinger. The No. 3 quarterback is typically inactive and used only in an emergency. But if he's used, the team can't put the starter back in.

Wade could make Johnson the No. 3 quarterback, but he would have to sacrifice a player on the active 45-man roster.

The reason Wade is thinking about keeping Johnson is because he hasn't seen enough from punter Sam Paulescu and receiver Patrick Crayton

- Rick Herrin/QUOTE]

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can recall some said how important or hard is it to deep snap the ball? after Hellastrat retired. If Johnson has to come in to hold then so be it, I would rather have him do it then be put in a situation where we lose the game because of a hold on a FG.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep the hold on the field goal attempt is very important, what you have to do is spend time on it,, not just alittle like good ole wade does, but spend time on it and perfect it, just like the other plays on offense and defense, you have to spend time on it to get it right,

to me wade doesnt do that especially on special teams

thats why after his good friend albert breer told him 4 things to work on, one of them was special teams,

i think finally wade is listeing to constructive cristism and working on some things,

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2414948 said:
If they decide to use Brad as the holder, using up a roster spot or making him Tony's back up, will further prove how stupid, clueless and unprepared Wade is.

Having our best holder hold for field goals in a big game is stupid?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good friend Albert Breer? The 25-year-old sportswriter from Boston? :confused:

And holding is hard. It takes good hands and skill to do it. Not everyone can be good at it, no matter how much they practice it.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2414948 said:

It's actually quite the opposite.

If Folk is more comfortable with Brad as holder and Wade uses someone else, that will show how stupid, clueless and unprepared Wade is.

Kickers are creatures of habit. Timing, steps, routine and even the holder play all into that. Kickers always want a holder they can trust not to screw up that routine and not mess with their head. They never want to worry about if the ball is planted wrong or if they hold is late what will I do to make up for it. They will always want that guy who they never have to worry about.

It's a bit like having that connection with a pitcher and catcher. If the pitcher and catcher are on a page where the pitcher hardly ever shakes off a pitch or a guy they know if they throw a 1-2 curveball in the dirt it will not be going to the back stop. Those are the guys pitchers will love.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree with what your saying adam, you do want to have your best holder for field goal attempts, but at same time, if you spent alittle extra time on special teams, work harder on holding for field goals

when a head scout that worked under parcells and he says bluntly to good ole wade after wade asked him for some advice to fix the issues on the cowboys problems.

and albert beer said, wade was known for not giving awhole lot of detail to special teams and the kickng game when he was at buffalo

teams tend to get your tendecies of what you work on and dont work on, and beer metioned wade doesnt take special teams to heart, then there is a problem,

again, when jimmy johnson came here, he overhauled the special teams and made it a big part of the team, when landry had punter or kicker issues, landry himself spent extra time with the kickers or punters.

so it starts with the head coach and his values, thoughts on special teams,

so i say and believe it heartly that wade doesnt spend the time with some areas on this team that he should. and it shows now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Easy solution. Keep Brad Johnson as the backup QB and holder. Play to win.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
For this huge game we really should have Brad out there. After that we might be able to get by if someone is doing a good job in practice.