FWST Blog: Roy to start, the holder is??

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Hostile;2415024 said:
Easy solution. Keep Brad Johnson as the backup QB and holder. Play to win.

My choice as well.

It's not as if Bollinger is the messiah. If we lose Romo again this season the next thing to look forward to will be the draft in April anyway.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2414994 said:
Having our best holder hold for field goals in a big game is stupid?

You missed the point, they should have a backup plan. What if Johnson broke his hand last week, what would they have done?

Just more bad planning by the coaching staff........all other positions have backups, why not holder? Most teams have a backup even for the long snapper, I'm not sure this team does.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2415039 said:
You missed the point, they should have a backup plan. What if Johnson broke his hand last week, what would they have done?

Just more bad planning by the coaching staff........all other positions have backups, why not holder? Most teams have a backup even for the long snapper, I'm not sure this team does.

They do it's just not as good of an option as the 1st choice, Johnson. Since FG's are a real big deal we need the 1st choice in there, especially when you consider that we are screwed with Bollinger anyway as the backup QB.

It's time to go all in and put all of our 1st options on the field.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:
I've never been a kicker, but how much difference can a holder make. They all do the same thing if you ask me.

Um, you're a cowboys fan and already forgot about the playoff game with Romo against teh Seahwaks on how important a holder is??
It doesn't affect the kicker at all in most cases, some need to know how to not only catch it, but put it down in time and MOST IMPORTANT, put the laces towards the middle of the goal post.
So it COULD affect the kiker if you have a bad one, and can cost you a playoff game if he muffs it ala Romo.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:
I've never been a kicker, but how much difference can a holder make. They all do the same thing if you ask me.

Ask Tony Romo how important holding for kicks is. Do you remember the Seattle playoff game?
Leave Brad holding for the rest of this season. In training camp next summer,Dallas can work in a new holder since Brad won't be on the team.:starspin

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:

have you never seen Ace Ventura Pet Detective??? Laces out Marino!!!!!!!!

I hate Wade and his unwillingness to get rid of brad.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2415039 said:

Our backup holder is out for the season. Most teams don't have their third-string holder already determined. Heck, the Steelers were holding tryouts for long snapper on the sideline of their game a couple of weeks ago.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future;2414940 said:
It makes a huge difference who the holder is especially if the player is somewhat new to holding in the NFL. Holders with little experience tend to be inconsistent with ball placement, ball angles, tilts, etc. It's something you normally want to work out during training camp so they can do it several hundred times.

That being said, it would not hurt to have another holder capable of doing the job if Johnson gets hurt or is inactive. However, as I said a while back when someone asked about this, it makes sense at least for a couple of games to use BJ just so you don't lose a game because of missed kicks .. at least not as the fault of the holder.

A lot of the people now who don't want BJ to hold will be the same ones complaining that he should have been the holder if a missed kick costs the Cowboys a game.

-Reality

jcollins28

Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:

Laces out...

kmd24

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2415211 said:
Our backup holder is out for the season. Most teams don't have their third-string holder already determined.

Not only that, but punters rarely get injured. The idea that Wade should have foreseen a season ending injury to McBriar is stretching it a bit.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:

From what I understand it's a lot more than you think. I've never held so I don't know, but they have to catch it, get it down, turn it the right direction in the right time with the kickers motion. Apparently if you're off on any of that, by even a little bit, you screw up his entire kicking motion.

Hostile;2415024 said:
Easy solution. Keep Brad Johnson as the backup QB and holder. Play to win.

From what I understand, listening to Talking Cowboys, they have another way around Brad playing QB. Apparently you're able to, by rule, allow Brooks to be the 3, and dress, but be 'inactive', and allow Brad to be the 2 and hold but should Romo go down with an injury in the game that is going to be more than a play or two, where you'd not want to put Brad in (IF it was for a play or two yo ucould go with Brad for those one or two plays), then you could then actually 'activate' and allow Brooks to play the QB spot.

But, apparently, if you do that then Brad would immediately, and Tony as well, no longer available for the rest of the game. So if you brought Brooks in and let him play, in that situation, then Brad couldn't even hold anymore. You'd have to let someone else hold and if Brooks wound up hurt and went out then you wouldn't be able to use Brad and you'd have to use someone else (Examples they gave were Stanback and Crayton).

So they could be thinking of going that way in the event that Tony goes down for significant time in the game.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:

Are you fricken serious? Did you see th at game a few years ago in Seattle....:bang2:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Assuming holders don't drop the ball, I meant what difference does it make to the kicker...ppl on this board get so driven to belittle posts sometimes.:bang2:

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2415211 said:
Our backup holder is out for the season. Most teams don't have their third-string holder already determined. Heck, the Steelers were holding tryouts for long snapper on the sideline of their game a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly. Look how that worked out. Keep BJ as the holder. If there was someone else that could do it and do it well WP wouldnt even be thinking about having BJ as the holder.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Future;2414940 said:

I've stopped reading this thread right here because I know what this post will bring about........