FWST Blog: T-Newman Offers His Candor

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T-Newman Offers His Candor

Cornerback Terence Newman was one of the few Cowboys who did talk to reporters on Monday.

He was like the rest of his teammates who are bummed by the loss, but did find a few things to take out of as a positive.

"If anything, I think yesterday proves that we are a fighting team. We went into Pittsburgh and played the No. 1 statistically ranked defense and I think our offense fared pretty well for a while, and our defense, we fought well," Newman said. "I think the last 3 to 4 weeks, our defense has been the real solid part of this football team. We got a lot of criticism in the beginning part of the season and I think we're finally doing our part, and we're helping us stay in some games so that our offense can fight and try to hold onto some leads and do those things. It's unfortunate when ... the turnover situation, definitely. It definitely killed us, I think, yesterday. We didn't create enough on defense, so ..."

Nearly every single thing said the Cowboys should have won on Sunday, except for that pesky turnover figure.

And because the Cowboys couldn't hold on to the ball, they once again look like a team that can't finish.

"We definitely had some situations late in the game where us, as a defense, collectively, we could've made a couple of more plays," Newman said. "I think we got a little more passive, maybe. Offensively, we just didn't capitalize on a couple of plays. They got some pressure and, just, things happened."

Yes, the Cowboys played better than most people would have predicted, but in the end it looks like the start of another bad December.

"Nobody wants to hear about the terrible Decembers we keep having, year in and year out," Newman said. "So we definitely have something to prove."

- Mac Engel

Cowboys locker room: The day after

Only a few Cowboys were around during the open locker room session this morning the day after the crushing 20-13 loss to Steelers.

But wide receiver Roy Williams, cornerback Orlando Scandrick, defensive end Marcus Spears and cornerback Terence Newman hung around long enough to talk. The message is about bouncing back fast because the New York Giants come to town and they aren't happy. They lost Sunday to Philadelphia but have clinched the NFC East.

"They're not feeling too good and nothing would put a smile on their face than to beat the Dallas Cowboys," Williams said of the Giants. "They want to come in spoil our party. We can't let that happen."

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:12 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack (0)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It must suck to be Roy and see Tony never throw you the ball.

Roy literally gets 3 passes per game and that is it. Complete or not, he doesn't get much more.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2474952 said:

Roy literally gets 3 passes per game and that is it. Complete or not, he doesn't get much more.
it's a joke. Romo is so keyed on Owens to start a game than he's always looking for Witten if he can't get the ball to Owens.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2474952 said:

In my opinion, if Romo throws the ball to Williams with his right hand and not his left, we win. Romo was going to get hit anyway. With his compact, fast release, I think he had a better chance flipping it out there with his right hand. He was laughing afterwards, but it wasn't funny when the field-goal unit came on.

Now, that is just my view of the play. I'm not out there for sure. It's a tough throw across your body, but I think he could have gotten it off. I"ve seen him flip it and cover up before the hit. Williams was open at the start of the play. If he looks over there first, it's an easy TD.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Rampage;2474955 said:
it's a joke. Romo is so keyed on Owens to start a game than he's always looking for Witten if he get get the ball to Owens.

Its almost like they play a guess game with who might be open.

As if Tony plans on throwing to 1 guy before the snap.

You hear Tony say, "i throw it to whoever is open". Thats BS because there were openings all over the place yesterday.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
According to STATS, Witten was targeted 10 times yesterday, Owens nine and Williams six.

How else would you divide up 25 passes between those three?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AdamJT13;2474976 said:
According to STATS, Witten was targeted 10 times yesterday, Owens nine and Williams six.

Stats do not matter with people like that ....... only what they "feel" is happening.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474976 said:

now show me the stats of the catchable ones cause Iknow the one he threw when Roy was triple covered and the one he missed when Roy was wide open in the endzone weren't.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2474971 said:
Its almost like they play a guess game with who might be open.

As if Tony plans on throwing to 1 guy before the snap.

You hear Tony say, "i throw it to whoever is open". Thats BS because there were openings all over the place yesterday.

I'm certainly not and x's and o's guy, but I'm just not sure Romo reads defenses very well. If you look at his interceptions most are right at the defender. He seems to make it easy to get the picks...they don't require much of an "athletic move" to make. He seems to get baited pretty easy.
It also doesn't help that they are so rushed to get the play off before the play clock expires he has no time to survey the defense. That, I believe, is on the coaches.
Thoughts?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Rampage;2474955 said:
it's a joke. Romo is so keyed on Owens to start a game than he's always looking for Witten if he get get the ball to Owens.

Huh, he is so keyed on Owens that he looks to Witten?

I would do a few slants to Roy E early in the next game to get him into it for sure.

cowboyz

Reaction score
you build trust and chemistry in training camp.

williams for this year is more of a decoy and someone to draw coverage.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2474976 said:

Theres no stat for missing an open receiver and throwing the ball somewhere else, which is something that is far more important than just where the balls are directed.

And I really don't care how they are divided. If Dallas could win by throwing all 25 to one of them, so be it.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
mrla;2475020 said:
I'm certainly not and x's and o's guy, but I'm just not sure Romo reads defenses very well. If you look at his interceptions most are right at the defender. He seems to make it easy to get the picks...they don't require much of an "athletic move" to make. He seems to get baited pretty easy.
It also doesn't help that they are so rushed to get the play off before the play clock expires he has no time to survey the defense. That, I believe, is on the coaches.
Thoughts?

Well, he isn't very tall either, so he probably can't read the defenses like a taller QB would. He does better outside the pocket when he has a clear field to survey with no one blocking his view.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2475035 said:
Theres no stat for missing an open receiver and throwing the ball somewhere else, which is something that is far more important than just where the balls are directed.

So is your complaint with whom Romo threw the ball to, or Romo's accuracy?

If all six passes to Williams were catchable, would you be happy with how often Romo went to Williams?

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Sometimes the QB knows WHO he's going to throw the ball prior to the snap....

Let's take Aikman's own words from the NFC Championship game against the 49'ers when he threw that slant to Alvin Harper....he said that it was usually Irvin in that spot, but he decided to trust Harper on that play.

Besides that, EVERY QB has a relief valve....who was Aikman's? Novacek. Who is Romo's? Witten. So what? If the QB doesn't have a relief valve, he's toast. Let's quit acting like he's got all day back there to decide who to throw the ball to. With Procter back in there constantly getting pushed back into him, the time was even less in the second half.

Romo does need to make some better decisions with the ball though....there were passes that he shouldn't have thrown....especially when RW was triple covered.....at least he was when the ball got there.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Jimz31;2475141 said:
Sometimes the QB knows WHO he's going to throw the ball prior to the snap....

Let's take Aikman's own words from the NFC Championship game against the 49'ers when he threw that slant to Alvin Harper....he said that it was usually Irvin in that spot, but he decided to trust Harper on that play.

Besides that, EVERY QB has a relief valve....who was Aikman's? Novacek. Who is Romo's? Witten. So what? If the QB doesn't have a relief valve, he's toast. Let's quit acting like he's got all day back there to decide who to throw the ball to. With Procter back in there constantly getting pushed back into him, the time was even less in the second half.

Romo does need to make some better decisions with the ball though....there were passes that he shouldn't have thrown....especially when RW was triple covered.....at least he was when the ball got there.

Thats totally wrong. Irvin made Harper change spots, since other times in that game apparently Aikman went to Harper in that same call. But in that play, Irvin was double teamed Again and Harper was the more open WR. Irvin said that few times himself, while laughing about how it back fired on him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
zrinkill;2474998 said:
Stats do not matter with people like that ....... only what they "feel" is happening.

People like that? :rolleyes:

It sure would be nice if we could keep all of these left field biased TO posts in the "I'm a TO hater" thread. I know it's not possible but it's a good thought nonetheless...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Jimz31;2475141 said:
especially when RW was triple covered.....at least he was when the ball got there.

Oh you mean the play where Martellus Bennett was wide open in the middle of the field running the same route as RW11 in Tony's liner of sight? Yeah.. the play where Tony decided to force it into double/triple coverage just for the sake of doing so? Martellus had nothing but wide open real estate ahead of him. :mad:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2475188 said:
Oh you mean the play where Martellus Bennett was wide open in the middle of the field running the same route as RW11 in Tony's liner of sight? Yeah.. the play where Tony decided to force it into double/triple coverage just for the sake of doing so? Martellus had nothing but wide open real estate ahead of him. :mad:
I remember seeing that. nobody was near Bennett and he would've had the 1st down and than some.