FWST: BLOG: Wade giving the guys rest

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Wade giving the guys rest

Wade Phillips gave some of his guys the day off from practice. Terrell Owens, Flozell Adams, Marc Colombo, Zach Thomas and Greg Ellis did not workout Wednesday but went through the walkthrough and meetings.

All five players, also all in their 30s, were given a rest day despite getting four of the previous five days off. That's a little odd. The players were also long gone from Valley Ranch when the team practiced. Wade believes some of these guys need to get off their feet down the stretch. Given the knee issues in the past of Adams and Colombo, Wade felt they needed a break.

So, how do the fans feel about Wade giving the guys off? Don't think it was a big deal, but it was a little odd considering all the time off they had just been given.

- Rick Herrin

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
We wont know how this affects anything untill the end of the month

Nav22

Reaction score
We wont know how this affects anything untill the end of the month
And even then we won't know if THIS is what directly led to the results.

Won't stop the uninformed from speculating (loudly), though.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Steelers gave their veterans the day off too. And they had less time to prepare for us also. You bloggers, tell me whats the big deal?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This is going to be the story all week now.

Now instead of talking about football, everybody with a microphone and a keyboard will be debating rest or no rest.

Only in this market can a game of this magnitude get overshadowed by a bubble and some rest.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2459932 said:
Steelers gave their veterans the day off too. And they had less time to prepare for us also. You bloggers, tell me whats the big deal?
During the bye week, Wade gave guys a couple days off and everyone complained...until they found out that Zorn gave Washington the entire week off.

Funny stuff.

Nav22

Reaction score
I swear, it's Wade's physical appearance that turns fans off.

He just looks like such a sweet old Pillsbury doughboy... so anytime he shows any leniency whatsoever towards the players, fans immediately assume he's being "soft".

He's not being "soft", he's being an NFL coach in 2008.

Show me a currently successful NFL coach who runs his players into the ground all year.

Even Tom Coughlin had to lighten up in order to keep from losing his players. And it wasn't very "old-school" of him to allow Plaxico to play all year without practicing, now was it?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2459952 said:

He just looks like such a sweet old Pillsbury doughboy... so anytime he shows any leniency whatsoever towards the players, fans immediately assume he's being "soft".

He's not being "soft", he's being an NFL coach in 2008.

Show me a currently successful NFL coach who runs his players into the ground all year.

Even Tom Coughlin had to lighten up in order to keep from losing his players. And it wasn't very "old-school" of him to allow Plaxico to play all year without practicing, now was it?

it's not just his appearance, he actually is soft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that is what it takes for us to play better in January I'm all for it. If we lose in December and the vets point the finger at Wade for decisions like this I'm against it.

Nav22

Reaction score
it's not just his appearance, he actually is soft
How so? Explain how he's softer than the average NFL coach in 2008.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nav22;2459952 said:

That's exactly what it is. It's that and the country accent and the fact that he's not a great speaker.

But you could hire an actor who would "look the part" and speak well and do all those superficial things... Except he wouldn't know a damn thing about coaching a football team.

I know I've said it before, but I can't imagine Buddy Ryan, who was as mean and hardnosed an SOB as there ever was, choosing someone who was nothing but a big teddy bear to run his defense. Think about it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2460022 said:
That's exactly what it is. It's that and the country accent and the fact that he's not a great speaker.

But you could hire an actor who would "look the part" and speak well and do all those superficial things... Except he wouldn't know a damn thing about coaching a football team.

I know I've said it before, but I can't imagine Buddy Ryan, who was as mean and hardnosed an SOB as there ever was, choosing someone who was nothing but a big teddy bear to run his defense. Think about it.
And there you have Mike Singletary.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2460022 said:

Good point. No one that know's football doesn't acknowledge that Wade is a very good defensive coach. Wade's problem is he didn't win a playoff game last year and he's the coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He's expected to produce a SB. Even Tom Landry didn't do that every year although I do admit we did make the playoffs every year. Oh yeah, Wade is under a huge cloud of never having won a playoff game in a huge sample of games.

Wade is a good coach. He just needs to win here esp with the expectations this club has produced.

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
it's not a big deal off
i think it was a smart move on what wade did
it won't affect any of their playing on sunday