FWST: CHAREAN WILLIAMS: Charean's mock draft: Predicting the first round

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Charean's mock draft: Predicting the first round

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } Related Content

With the NFL draft just weeks away, Charean Williams, the Star-Telegram's football insider, has been in her laboratory mixing up a formula for the first round. Here are her predictions, as of April 10:
1. Oakland – JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
Comment: Calvin Johnson could be the choice, especially if the Raiders can trade for Josh McCown.
2. Detroit – Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
Comment: Brady Quinn is another possibility, since Joey Harrington didn’t work out for them.
3. Cleveland – Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
Comment: The Browns will have to choose among Quinn, Adrian Peterson and maybe Thomas.

4. Tampa Bay – Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
Comment: Jeff Garcia will have plenty of weapons on offense, but his protection might be a worry.
5. Arizona – Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
Comment: The new offensive-minded coach can’t pass on the best running back in the draft.
6. Washington – Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
Comment: The Commanders are likely to trade out of this spot.
7. Minnesota – LaRon Landry, S, LSU
Comment: The Vikings can upgrade a secondary with either Landry or Leon Hall.
8. Atlanta – Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
Comment: The Falcons need to replace Patrick Kerney.
9. Miami – Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
Comment: Candidates for their left tackle spot include former TCU product Anthony Alabi and right tackle Vernon Carey, which might force right guard L.J. Shelton back there.
10. Houston – Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
Comment: They would take Brown if he’s here, but if he’s not they’ll take Hall to start opposite Dunta Robinson.
11. San Francisco – Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
Comment: The 49ers are in desperate need of a top-flight receiver, and Ginn is the best available.
12. Buffalo – Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
Comment: Marshawn Lynch would be a possibility as a replacement for Willis McGahee, but Okoye is tough to pass up.
13. St. Louis – Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
Comment: Jimmy Kennedy, a disappointment since being drafted 12th overall in 2003, is in the final year of his contract.
14. Carolina – Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
Comment: The Panthers finally have a replacement for Wesley Walls, whose last season in Carolina was 2002.
15. Pittsburgh – Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State
Comment: Mike Tomlin is expected to address the defense, and Moss, Carriker and Timmons all are possibilities.
16. Green Bay – Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
Comment: Ahman Green’s replacement.
17. Jacksonville – Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Comment: They won’t take another receiver in the first round, will they? Carriker would fit in well with DTs Marcus Stroud and John Henderson.
18. Cincinnati – Jon Beason, LB, Miami
Comment: The Bengals need the best defensive player available.
19. Tennessee – Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
Comment: Brandon Jones? Roydell Williams? Courtney Roby? Jonathan Orr? The Titans need help at WR.
20. NY Giants – Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State
Comment: He seems to be the kind of player that Tom Coughlin loves.
21. Denver -- Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
Comment: Courtney Browns’ replacement.
22. Dallas – Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
Comment: The Cowboys did OK with the last Tennessee WR they drafted in the first round. In four seasons in Dallas, Alvin Harper caught 124 passes for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns.
23. Kansas City – Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Comment: Brodie Croyle needs better WRs to work with than Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker.
24. New England – Patrick Willis, ILB, Mississippi
Comment: Every one of their starting linebackers is at least 30 years old.
25. New York Jets – Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
Comment: The Jets need another corner to pair with Andre Dyson.
26. Philadelphia – Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
Comment: Free safety Brian Dawkins is 33; strong safety Sean Considine still is unproven.
27. New Orleans -- Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
Comment: Fred Thomas, who will be 34 next season, needs to be a nickel back.
28. New England – Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas
Comment: Asante Samuel isn’t happy as their franchised player.
29. Baltimore – Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
With Jonathan Ogden considering retirement, the Ravens will take a tackle. It could be Texas’ Justin Blalock.
30. San Diego – Michael Griffin, S, Texas
Comment: The Chargers would love a receiver – Bowe, Meachem or Jarrett – to pair with Vincent Jackson. But a strong safety is a need, too.
31. Chicago – Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn
Comment: Three of their OL starters are over 30.
32. Indianapolis – Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
Comment: The Colts traded for Anthony McFarland last season, but they still need help after giving up the most rushing yards in the NFL last season.
Charean Williams, 817-390-7760
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I honestly don't see how people can put Adrian Peterson in a Cardinals uniform given they paid so much to get Edgerin James. Charean isn't the only one I have seen do this though.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
11. San Francisco – Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
Comment: The 49ers are in desperate need of a top-flight receiver, and Ginn is the best available.

No, he's just the fastest. Big difference.

23. Kansas City – Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Comment: Brodie Croyle needs better WRs to work with than Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker.

Croyle is their starter? Seriously?

26. Philadelphia – Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

This would greatly depress me.

TheBeheader31

Reaction score
joshjwc9;1452160 said:
And Patrick Willis wont get past St. Louis either.
and if somehow he did and fell to us, I would hope that we would snag him. Patrick Willis is going to be a monster.

Reaction score
Edgerrin James is on the decline, you could see he lacked the burst. I'm a huge fan of the U and it's players but a blind man could see why Arizona could possibly look to take Peterson...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1452184 said:
Edgerrin James is on the decline, you could see he lacked the burst. I'm a huge fan of the U and it's players but a blind man could see why Arizona could possibly look to take Peterson...
Not when their issues are on the OL.

ndanger

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1452184 said:

Hey I'm a blind guy and I resent that statement! :D Don't call me a nappy headed ho !

ddh33

Reaction score
I really feel kind of lost in this draft.

I don't see the Lions taking an offensive lineman at #2. I think they will try to move back and still grab Gaines Adams. Someone is going to have to want to move up though...

And I don't know exactly where Peterson goes. You better believe that I would take him very high, but I don't see a lot of these teams at the top of this draft who seem to want to. I think the Browns should, but then, they are the Browns. After that, who knows...

There just seem to be a lot of moving parts still at the moment. I bet things continue to sort themselves out though in the next few weeks.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
bbgun;1452163 said:
No, he's just the fastest. Big difference.

Croyle is their starter? Seriously?

This would greatly depress me.
Him and Huard are gonna compete for the spot.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;1452156 said:
I honestly don't see how people can put Adrian Peterson in a Cardinals uniform given they paid so much to get Edgerin James. Charean isn't the only one I have seen do this though.

Unless the Cardinals brain trust believes they messed up with James.....he hits the hole slow and does not break the tackles he used to with the Colts.

Peterson is the real deal imo

JPM

Reaction score
TheBeheader31;1452173 said:
and if somehow he did and fell to us, I would hope that we would snag him. Patrick Willis is going to be a monster.

I'm throwing a chair thru my TV if we pass up Willis.

TheBeheader31

Reaction score
JPM;1452720 said:
I'm throwing a chair thru my TV if we pass up Willis.

hahaha I hear ya dude...4.35 MLB's don't come around very often. I could only imagine what kind of crazy blitzes Phillips would throw at the opposition if he had Ware and Willis.