FWST: NFL Draft Diary

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Posted on Sun, Apr. 01, 2007

reprint or license print email
NFL Draft Diary

Prospect eager to play as himself

Herb Taylor was a two-time first-team All-Mountain West Conference performer as an offensive tackle for TCU. He is chronicling his experiences leading up to the NFL Draft, as told to Star-Telegram staff writer Charean Williams.
When I'd play pick-up ball as a kid, I was always Michael Irvin. I always wanted to be a receiver, and if I wasn't playing the O-line, that's the position I'd want to play.
That's because I talk my fair share of mess on the field; nothing cocky or conceited, just a little mess. I've always pictured myself making the big play and letting people know about it. That's why I grew up admiring Michael Irvin.
He would talk noise every day, but he was always able to back it up. Deion Sanders was the same way -- flashy and talking noise, but he brought it every day. You can't take anything away from those guys.
Growing up, my grandparents had this huge back yard. It was one of the biggest back yards in the neighborhood. We'd get out there and play tackle football after school and in the summer. I always played with older kids, but I was always their size.
I played quarterback some, but mostly receiver. I have great hands. You probably don't expect that from an offensive lineman, but I still say I have the top hands on my team. I begged the TCU coaches to give me the ball last year. I know I could have done something with it. As much as I would like to be a receiver, I just outgrew the position, not to mention that the position is a lot faster than I am. I ran a 5.19 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson ran a 4.35.
Even though I'm not a receiver anymore, I always dreamed of being right where I am. Playing NFL ball was one of my childhood dreams. You know kids always have big dreams, but how many times do they really come true? I am sitting here looking at it, taking it all in, this close to fulfilling my dream. I really do appreciate the fact that I have a great opportunity to do something that I've wanted to do ever since I came out of the womb, really.
Growing up, I had Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin jerseys. I had Cowboys posters and a Cowboys quilt cover. I had an NFC team -- the Cowboys -- and an AFC team -- the Oilers. But if the Cowboys and Oilers were playing, there was no doubt where my loyalty was: I was rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.
I would love to play for the Cowboys, but really, the ultimate would be just to be picked in the draft. By whoever. It's like I'm so close to that, but so far, too. Every day, it's all I think about. Every hour, it's all I think about. I wish it would just hurry up and get here.
Charean Williams, 817-390-7760 cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

jay cee

Reaction score
Real nice article. Thanks for posting CBZ. I saw the kid played at TCU, is he originally from the Fort Worth area?