Gadgets anyone?

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
I love gadget plays. Especially the flea flicker.

The play in OT against the skins to Ismail was NOT a gadget play however. It was a simple, extremely well executed, play-action pass.
My bad!:doh: It was so long ago I thought it was a trick play. What do you think about Crayton to T.O. a couple times this year? Now that would be a good one.

lspain1

Reaction score
It has been stated that Cowher always includes two gadget plays in the Steeler game plan every week. It requires special preparation by the defense and takes prep time away against the regular Steeler offense. This pretty good evidence that gadgets are good!

Bizwah

Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
I love gadget plays. Especially the flea flicker.

The play in OT against the skins to Ismail was NOT a gadget play however. It was a simple, extremely well executed, play-action pass.

I was just about to post the same thing.

We'd run Emmitt from that formation several times in the game. Rocket slowly acted as if he were going to block again, then blew by the Washington secondary.

Awesome play all the way around, but not a gadget.

IronMan

Reaction score
My all-time Cowboy trick play memory was seeing Tim Seder galloping into the end zone on a fake FG attempt.

kmp77

Reaction score
How about the TE fall down play we ran a few times a few years ago.

cachetazo

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
The BEST from last year was................. The FLEA-FLICKER!!!!

Bledsoe to Glenn 3 for 3 last year ALL for 70 yards or more!

Cannot wait to see it again this season!

Oh yeah!!!! that play never get old :yourock:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
My favorite is the HB-option, goes back to when Dan Reeves was playing for us but we have had several guys that could throw it pretty over the years well: Reeves, Calvin Hill, Robert Newhouse, & Ron Springs come to mind.

My all-time favorite was when Ron Springs threw a TD pass to QB Danny White, now that was cool!

I also like the flea-flicker and the fake-punt (which we NEVER run). I've never understood why more teams don't run a fake punt more often. I see so many times when they only need a few yards and the other team is booking down the field to block rather than rushing the punter. He could usually walk for the 1st down but instead he just punts it away. I don't think it would take much for one of his teammates to tell him to run with it.

I loved Novacek or Bjornson running the fake FG.

I hate the reverse and/or double-reverse. It rarely succeeds and usually is stuffed for a loss.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
i love the fumble-rooski that nebraska does and the option. i could see a team like Atlanta and now miami doing that but they dont...the "qb can't get hit" thinking sucks they want to play let them get hit

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas 67 said:
Just a quick question:) Do you like gadget plays in the NFL. The last one that I remember that paid off big was the Troy to Rocket play to get the Skins in overtime. The tricky Steelers also pulled a good one in the Super Bowl last year. Do you see Bill now with more at his disposel trying a few more this year?

The TD to Rocket in 1999 wasnt a trick play, it was a playaction pass

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
KingTuna said:
The BEST from last year was................. The FLEA-FLICKER!!!!

Bledsoe to Glenn 3 for 3 last year ALL for 70 yards or more!

Cannot wait to see it again this season!

I remember the one against Washington and the one agaisnt KC, when was the third?

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
I like the gadget plays also.

I am getting very very tired of the FAKE reverse though. You know, where they have a WR swing around like its gonna be a reverse only to hand it to the RB or pass. That "play" hardly(if ever) works!!! But yet, alot of teams do it...?

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I absolutely love them. I've never understood why they're not called atleast once a game.

Is the option (in the NFL) considered a gadget play?

Reverses, flea flickers, etc. certainly are...but the option is rare enough I might consider it one.

Because if it is, I remember a couple options during the first couple Parcells years that were a thing of beauty.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy said:
I absolutely love them. I've never understood why they're not called atleast once a game.

Is the option (in the NFL) considered a gadget play?

Reverses, flea flickers, etc. certainly are...but the option is rare enough I might consider it one.

Because if it is, I remember a couple options during the first couple Parcells years that were a thing of beauty.

The Stealers ran the WR-option with Kordell "Slash" Stewart very successfully. If I were the Jags I would use Matt Jones that way often since he was a college QB. I thought we would use Woody Dantzler that way back when we had him on the team but I don't think we ever did.