Gallup for 13 million or Cooper for 21?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Im surprised you cant see it.

He will prove it. I have no doubt about it. Very confident in that opinion. I really dont care how many busts have happened. Nothing to do with Lamb. I heard the same doubts when he was drafted. Lamb is a complete stud.

I actually dont even think Lamb did that great. But then again, he was catching passes mostly from Dalton! I expect much better numbers in his 2nd season with Dak fully in the fold.

Only thing that can stop Lambs assent to one of the better WR's in the NFL is a major injury or Dak not being here.

It's obvious that you will never see that what you know may not be the case. I guessing, it's just me, that the coaches have thought of the same thing I said about Lamb being covered by #3 corners and if it should turn out that Cooper is gone, I'm thinking Gallup will be the new #1 because he has been covered by starting corners. How do we know who is the #1 and #2 receiver? The #1 receiver lines up mostly on the offensive right side. Why is it, because usually the teams best tackle is on the left to protect the QB's blind side because the QB is often looking to the right.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Again I hope Lamb is it but your question of do me or anyone have to see something before you know it's going to happen, well let me remand you of a well known fact. First again I'm not saying this will necessarily apply to Lamb, but how many college players have the draft gurus and sporting world have said they were going to be big stars in the NFL and turn out to be busts. They say that because they "know" what they will do in the NFL but that doesn't help when they turn out to be busts. Again I'm not saying that Lamb is or will be a bust but you saying that you know before Lamb has been covered by starting corners sounds EXACTLY like those draft gurus and sporting world people who gush over players that turn out to be busts. I'm happy for you that you really like Lamb. He did really good against #3 corners and again I hope he is as good as you think, but he needs to prove it first.

Look at it this way..................in only his first 5 games of his career, with a real QB like Prescott throwing him the ball, as the 3rd option he averaged 86 yards PG and had 2 TD's.

Prescott plays a full 16 games and thats almost 1400 yards on the year. And yah, he will do it against better corners.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Look at it this way..................in only his first 5 games of his career, with a real QB like Prescott throwing him the ball, as the 3rd option he averaged 86 yards PG and had 2 TD's.

Prescott plays a full 16 games and thats almost 1400 yards on the year. And yah, he will do it against better corners.

AGAIN he did that against #3 corners. Having 2 TD's in 5 games isn't that much to brag about. That's less than one every 2 games. Again I hope he's as good as you think he is, but until he proves that he can do it against starting corners for an entire season and not just 5 games, then it's just what you think and not a fact. We've beaten this dead so don't, bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's obvious that you will never see that what you know may not be the case. I guessing, it's just me, that the coaches have thought of the same thing I said about Lamb being covered by #3 corners and if it should turn out that Cooper is gone, I'm thinking Gallup will be the new #1 because he has been covered by starting corners. How do we know who is the #1 and #2 receiver? The #1 receiver lines up mostly on the offensive right side. Why is it, because usually the teams best tackle is on the left to protect the QB's blind side because the QB is often looking to the right.

Again, shocked you are doubting it.

What I AM guessing is that the coaches know EXACTLY what I know. And they made him a big part of the offense from the beginning even though he was only a rookie. Lamb basically had 2 weeks of TC and no preseason games and was averaging 86 yards per game under Dak in the first 5 weeks. Had Dak not gotten hurt, that would be nearly 1400 yards with that average over a 16 game schedule. They also got Lamb involved in the run game where he had another 90 yards and a TD.

Lamb as a rookie was already the #2 guy based on production and numbers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
AGAIN he did that against #3 corners. Having 2 TD's in 5 games isn't that much to brag about. That's less than one every 2 games. Again I hope he's as good as you think he is, but until he proves that he can do it against starting corners for an entire season and not just 5 games, then it's just what you think and not a fact. We've beaten this dead so don't, bother to reply because I'll just ignore it.

Its a simple prediction buddy. Based on what you have seen can Lamb be a #1 WR in this league against double coverage and better corners?

I am in for a 100% yes. If that bothers you, thats not my problem. Some guys can see things that others cant.

I actually cant believe I'm arguing with a guy who's genius point is "yah, but until it happens it hasnt happened yet". :clap::clap:

Real genius stuff there buddy. Deep deep insight.

But I actually enjoy when guys like you get all upset because I have a strong opinion. Now I get to tell you I told you so. :thumbup:

And just an FYI............Cooper had 5 TD's last year and Lamb had 6. #1 you say?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Lamb is the real deal and would be the clear number one. Suffer? Im not seeing that. Would be as good? No. But as Gallup and Lamb develop they will be a force. And who is to say you cant draft another young WR? Gotta keep the rotation in line.

With Lamb and Gallup, I would not fear trading Cooper.
Losing Cooper would be a major downgrade for our offense, far more then any other receiver on this team. He is considered one of the best route runners in the entire league and commands double coverage attention, which opens up the entire offense. Gallup has never shown he can carry an offense, but Copper has. When they drafted Lamb, one most likely has to go.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No denying that. Can't really judge Gallup based on the position he's asked to play, though. He's got great hands, and makes plays all over the field. I'm not disagreeing with you entirely. His numbers almost mirrored Amari in 2019 when Dak was healthy, and that was without great TE play or Lamb in the middle. He's definitely no slouch.
Not saying he is, but Cooper is a pro bowl caliber player, where Gallup is more of a quality #2 receiver who is best beating teams over the top.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Losing Cooper would be a major downgrade for our offense, far more then any other receiver on this team. He is considered one of the best route runners in the entire league and commands double coverage attention, which opens up the entire offense. Gallup has never shown he can carry an offense, but Copper has. When they drafted Lamb, one most likely has to go.

Sure, but there is a price to that. And with Lamb in the mix to be the new #1 do we really need Cooper and his 21 million dollar salary? Would that money be better spent on say the defense? 8 million would be the approximate difference based on this example.

Last edited:

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
My only concern with Cooper is his health. If he's on the field then he's better and worth the price difference.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He brings value, but we wont be able to keep him with as many holes as we have on defense. Its another strong WR draft, so maybe we find value in rounds 3-4. I'd trade Gallup for a 2

GADZOOKS! WHY WOULD YOU LOSE A PROVEN VETERAN JUST TO BURN A VALUABLE DRAFT PICK?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Opposing defenses wish we’d give up Cooper and keep Gallup. They’d probably injure themselves laughing, so I guess it could be a strategy that works.

Cooper is unguardable in man coverage, particularly on turf and will consistently draw safety help.

Gallup pretty much has been running the most amounts of go routes of any Wr in the league.

https://insidethestar.com/michael-gallup-has-been-one-of-the-nfls-best-deep-threats-in-2020/
Awesome. That is next level strategery!

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
At that hypothetical price for Gallup, it's a close call.
Also depends on what either would be worth in a trade.
If it's an early second round pick for Cooper or a third round pick for Gallup then I'd lean towards trading Cooper and signing Gallup.
If trade value is same or less for Cooper then I would keep Cooper and trade Gallup.
Cooper is significantly better than Gallup but cap implications and draft picks play into it, as well as team building overall.
That defense sure could use some help.

Hadenough

Reaction score
At this point you have to keep Cooper. Even though Gallup appears to be the hard worker and doesnt get hurt, Gallup isnt a true #1 WR. As much as I like Gallup and want him to stay in Dallas you just cant afford to pay him when this team has other positions that need help.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sure, but there is a price to that. And with Lamb in the mix to be the new #1 do we really need Cooper and his 21 million dollar salary? Would that money be better spent on say the defense? 8 million would be the approximate difference based on this example.
If you need money, cut Jaylon Smith who offers zero value, matter of fact defense is better if he's gone.

GMO415

Reaction score
Cool cost us a 1st round pick. Keep him and trade Gallup.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you need money, cut Jaylon Smith who offers zero value, matter of fact defense is better if he's gone.

LOL.......Im with you on that one. And while were at it, cut Zeke. Although we probably cant do it this year.

Proof

Reaction score
Cooper is 26 entering his prime years and has put up great numbers since acquired. Gallup isn’t close to the caliber player Cooper is

and you don’t just get his talent in a vacuum, you get his impact on lambs growth along with it. Coooooooop. (Love Gallup tho)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
LOL.......Im with you on that one. And while were at it, cut Zeke. Although we probably cant do it this year.
I am willing to give Zeke 1 more season to see if he can turn it around, but Jaylon offers nothing to this team.