CFZ Game Review: Cowboys Defense vs Seahawks

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Sam Williams
    • He has many signs of a future superstar.
    • Maybe the strongest 4.4 forty player ever.
    • I thought one of their LTs was TE the way SW pushed him around.
    • The speed also shows up.
    • He made multiple tackles out near the sideline even on plays where his initial move was inside.
  • Bland
    • He can play as the Nickel CB now if needed.
    • He needs more work as an outside CB.
  • Mukuamu
    • A tall safety that can play up near the line but coverage like a CB is a big asset.
    • Less LB traits than Kearse, but much more CB traits than Kearse.
  • Bell
    • A notch closer to LB than Mukuamu.
    • I think Mukuamu is slightly ahead, but Bell might be more of an option to play the Kearse hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
  • Harper
    • Might be caught in a numbers crunch, but I can see him developing into a coverage type LB.
    • The role that Neal played in 2021.
  • Malik Jefferson
    • He won't make the 53, at least not initially, but his size/athleticism jumps off the screen.
    • They can keep up to 6 veterans on the practice squad.
    • His physical ability is miles ahead of last years bottom of the roster LB Francis Bernard.
  • Storey Jackson
    • Had an INT. Looks like a big safety.
    • Often looked lost, but did flash.
  • Tyler Coyle
    • He flashed some good skills in coverage with the ability to run step for step with receivers.
    • He was in man coverage in the endzone and IIRC the receiver did catch it for a TD.
    • However, Coyle did force it to be a contested catch. I need to re-watch that one.
  • Juanyeh Thomas
    • Looked lost at times but often flashed good athletic ability.
  • Mika Tafua
    • He knows how to play football, but just doesn't appear to be big enough or fast enough.
  • Big Kat Bryant
    • He has flashed good ability several times.
    • He's a power/leverage type DE. Strong with long arms.
    • I could see him become a rotation DE after a couple of years on the practice squad.
  • Bohanna
    • One of the most improved 2nd year players.
  • Ridgeway
    • Fans are down on him, but he does one thing really well.
      • His hands are very strong to shed blocks at the last second to get to the RB.
    • He gets pushed back which fans hate, but when the RB arrives he often get to him.
    • Occasionally his push-pull-rip-shed move is too early and the RB will go to the opposite side of the block.
    • In my opinion, he is ahead of where Bohanna was at this point last year.
    • It often looks ugly, but the results are often good (i.e. pushed around but ends up get the RB anyway).
  • Josiah Bronson
    • In previous games he flashed, however, he struggled on many snaps vs the Seahawks.
    • - I think he flashed previously due to being a 2nd year player playing in the 3rd/4th quarter vs scrubs.
  • Golston
    • - He's going to be one of those players that some fans hate.
    • - He does not appear to have lost quickness despite a 20 pound weight gain.
    • - Obviously he was never a speed rushing type DE anyway.
    • - He has an above average "feel" for playing from end to sideline.
    • - i.e. He knows when to rush, stay put vs the run or get out towards the sideline to cover action there.
    • - QB rollouts, RBs running routes in the flat, etc.
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game.
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
    • - Has the required size & athleticism but is often lost.
    • - Maybe a couple of years on the practice squad and he could eventually make a roster.
  • Luke Gifford
    • - I didn't focus on him, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time on the majority of snaps.
  • Nahshon Wright
    • His issues remind me of Awuzie.
      • Unfortunately, iit didn't really click for Awuzie until his 5th NFL season and 1st with another team.
    • It's easy to see that Wright is not ready.
      • However, it's also obvious why they're intrigued with him.
    • He is generally the the right place but his timing and point-of-ball-arrival skills are just a little off.
    • With enough reps I can see him it just suddenly "clicking" for him at some point.
      • However, I don't know if practice reps will ever be enough & and they can't play him right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creeper

Reaction score
Good write-up. I agree with you about Ridgeway. If he improves as much as Bohanna did in 1 offseason, he will be a really good find.

Wright is one of those corners who always seems to have tight coverage but never makes the play on the ball which is what I think you were saying. Corners like that never seem to come around. He is an okay backup, but could be one of those guys that when he is on the field he will get a lot of deep balls thrown on him looking for the PI calls.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
  • Sam Williams
    • He made multiple tackles out near the sideline even on plays where his initial move was inside.
  • Bland
  • Mukuamu
    • A tall safety that can play up near the line but coverage like a CB is a big asset.
  • Bell
    • I think Mukuamu is slightly ahead, but Bell might be more of an option to play the Kearse hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
  • Harper
    • Might be caught in a numbers crunch, but I can see him developing into a coverage type LB.
  • Malik Jefferson
    • He won't make the 53, at least not initially, but his size/athleticism jumps off the screen.
    • His physical ability is miles ahead of last years bottom of the roster LB Francis Bernard.
  • Storey Jackson
  • Tyler Coyle
    • He flashed some good skills in coverage with the ability to run step for step with receivers.
    • He was in man coverage in the endzone and IIRC the receiver did catch it for a TD.
    • However, Coyle did force it to be a contested catch. I need to re-watch that one.
  • Juanyeh Thomas
  • Mika Tafua
    • He knows how to play football, but just doesn't appear to be big enough or fast enough.
  • Big Kat Bryant
    • I could see him become a rotation DE after a couple of years on the practice squad.
  • Bohanna
  • Ridgeway
    • He gets pushed back which fans hate, but when the RB arrives he often get to him.
    • Occasionally his push-pull-rip-shed move is too early and the RB will go to the opposite side of the block.
    • It often looks ugly, but the results are often good (i.e. pushed around but ends up get the RB anyway).
  • Josiah Bronson
    • In previous games he flashed, however, he struggled on many snaps vs the Seahawks.
    • - I think he flashed previously due to being a 2nd year player playing in the 3rd/4th quarter vs scrubs.
  • Golston
    • - i.e. He knows when to rush, stay put vs the run or get out towards the sideline to cover action there.
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game.
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
    • - Maybe a couple of years on the practice squad and he could eventually make a roster.
  • Luke Gifford
    • - I didn't focus on him, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time on the majority of snaps.
  • Nahshon Wright
      • Unfortunately, iit didn't really click for Awuzie until his 5th NFL season and 1st with another team.
    • He is generally the the right place but his timing and point-of-ball-arrival skills are just a little off.
    • With enough reps I can see him it just suddenly "clicking" for him at some point.
      • However, I don't know if practice reps will ever be enough & and they can't play him right now.
Nice review x
Thanks for taking the time.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The ridgeway notes are interesting and I think you’re spot on. He’s one of those guys who if you really focus on his play you see the potential, but also see that the guy needs some development time.

we will see how many interior dlineman the cowboys choose to keep, I’m crossing my fingers they find room for him.

Jarntt

Reaction score
  • Ridgeway

Since everyone is commenting on Ridgeway: I actually was disappointed in how poorly he shed blocks in the last game. That is actually what stuck out to me most. He was definitely stuck on blockers. While this didn't surprise me for a rookie, his not playing as strongly as I thought he would did. I was hoping he was going to give us some valuable run down snaps. Now, I don't think you can play him in an NFL game to start the year. Definitely PS at worst though for this year.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Nice write up!

My concern is the rotation we have at the DT spot. I just can't recall having a good rotation of DTs since Jimmy left. This is the area of weakness on defense for us, IMO.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
  • Golston
    • - He's going to be one of those players that some fans hate. -From the minute the pick was announced
    • - He does not appear to have lost quickness despite a 20 pound weight gain.-Have to be quick to lose it.
    • - Obviously he was never a speed rushing type DE anyway.-Not a DE. Not a LB. Not a DL. Does he have some guarantee to make you laugh jokes? Maybe he has a lawncare business or car detail?
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game. Average at playing football with no position intangibles. Exactly what I look for in a top tier pick. :rolleyes: I can honestly say, not joking, I have seen him do nothing that deserves a spot on any NFL team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
  • Golston
    • - He's going to be one of those players that some fans hate. -From the minute the pick was announced
    • - He does not appear to have lost quickness despite a 20 pound weight gain.-Have to be quick to lose it.
    • - Obviously he was never a speed rushing type DE anyway.-Not a DE. Not a LB. Not a DL. Does he have some guarantee to make you laugh jokes? Maybe he has a lawncare business or car detail?
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game. Average at playing football with no position intangibles. Exactly what I look for in a top tier pick. :rolleyes: I can honestly say, not joking, I have seen him do nothing that deserves a spot on any NFL team.
you do not make it to the NFL at being average playing football..you realize even the lowest of the lowest on NFL depth charts were stars in college, most colleges and HS players never even get look in the nfl;..not sure of the % but maybe what 20% of all college payers end up playing in the NFL..calling these guys jags, scrubs, and average is not the language id use..some of really good but when they get to the nfl have to learn more and develop. I find it entertaining that most of the players who don't flash as rookies all of sudden are average busts before they play snap their 2nd year's id say average football players are the al bundies in here believing because they watch and played low level ball they can evaluate an NFL player better than the scouts, gms, and coaches.:facepalm::muttley:

Ken

Reaction score
  • Sam Williams
  • Bland
  • Mukuamu
  • Bell
  • Harper
  • Malik Jefferson
  • Storey Jackson
  • Tyler Coyle
  • Juanyeh Thomas
  • Mika Tafua
  • Big Kat Bryant
  • Bohanna
  • Ridgeway
  • Josiah Bronson
  • Golston
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
  • Luke Gifford
  • Nahshon Wright
Great analysis, agree with all of it. Ridgeway analysis is spot on. Definitely ahead of where Bo was but will that be enough to get on the squad? Also, the emergence of Bo, does that make them more apt to cut Ridge and try and get him on the PS?

Nahshon is also spot on. You can see he can play and has just been a tick late throughout the tc/ps. I really feel like it will start to click with him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good write-up. I agree with you about Ridgeway. If he improves as much as Bohanna did in 1 offseason, he will be a really good find.

Wright is one of those corners who always seems to have tight coverage but never makes the play on the ball which is what I think you were saying. Corners like that never seem to come around. He is an okay backup, but could be one of those guys that when he is on the field he will get a lot of deep balls thrown on him looking for the PI calls.

Awuzie comes to mind here. He had so tight of coverage, but somehow even the not so good QB's had pin point accuracy throwing the ball his way.
Though he did have a really nice year with the Bengals last season.

I am not sold on Wright. He should be on the PS, but I know they won't do that. His draft status says different. As we know the FO loves to keep those high draft picks, as well mid rounds too for at their contract length. We may lose a decent player because of it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think Ridgeway will be ok. He will catch on. Very strong, once he figures it out he will use the big body to clog the hole. Then he will get a push against weaker teams and gain some confidence. Alot of these rookies have to get in the mix and gain confidence..

Creeper

Reaction score
Awuzie comes to mind here. He had so tight of coverage, but somehow even the not so good QB's had pin point accuracy throwing the ball his way.
Though he did have a really nice year with the Bengals last season.

I am not sold on Wright. He should be on the PS, but I know they won't do that. His draft status says different. As we know the FO loves to keep those high draft picks, as well mid rounds too for at their contract length. We may lose a decent player because of it.

Before Diggs, it seemed like all the Cowboys DB played the receiver and not the ball. Diggs was the first one in a long time to take some risks and make some plays.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  • Sam Williams
  • Bland
  • Mukuamu
  • Bell
  • Harper
  • Malik Jefferson
  • Storey Jackson
  • Tyler Coyle
  • Juanyeh Thomas
  • Mika Tafua
  • Big Kat Bryant
  • Bohanna
  • Ridgeway
  • Josiah Bronson
  • Golston
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
  • Luke Gifford
  • Nahshon Wright
Bohemian was a space eater in college. 360 pounds, he was never expected to make a play on the ball carrier. Just occupy space. Ridgeway wasn't that type of player. Huge difference in their production in college. When Bohanna dropped the 30 pounds, it was to become that player that makes a play on the ball carrier. The different play style as well as the fact that he was remaking his body was definitely going to lead to some growing pains

Golston was always going to be a utility guy. He fits some of the looks at 4i that Quinn runs. At some point he may contribute some as an interior rusher, but his main contributions will always be in run defense

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Awuzie was good in 2021 (with the Bengals); although, I don't want to wait 5 years on Wright...