CFZ Game Review: Cowboys Defense vs Seahawks

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really want Jabril Cox to earn that spot.
  • I think that is definite.
    • It was an either/or position between LVE and Neal last season.
      • i.e. Only one of them on the field with Parsons other than the 4 games that Parsons started at DE.
    • Harper would be a backup at that spot for now if he makes the roster.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bohemian was a space eater in college. 360 pounds, he was never expected to make a play on the ball carrier. Just occupy space. Ridgeway wasn't that type of player. Huge difference in their production in college. When Bohanna dropped the 30 pounds, it was to become that player that makes a play on the ball carrier. The different play style as well as the fact that he was remaking his body was definitely going to lead to some growing pains

Golston was always going to be a utility guy. He fits some of the looks at 4i that Quinn runs. At some point he may contribute some as an interior rusher, but his main contributions will always be in run defense
Bohanna didn't play a high percentage of snaps in college.
- I assume due to being too heavy.
- In a number of games he was 3rd in number of DT snaps.

Ridgeway was a better college player than Bohanna.
- Except in the 2021 game vs Georgia.
- Georgia came in with a plan to angle block Ridgeway and he struggled.
- The OL directly in front of him often didn't even block him and the next OL over would slam into him from the side.
- It worked well because it negated Ridgeway's push-pull-shed style or grip and rip as I call it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • Sam Williams
    • He has many signs of a future superstar.
    • Maybe the strongest 4.4 forty player ever.
    • I thought one of their LTs was TE the way SW pushed him around.
    • The speed also shows up.
    • He made multiple tackles out near the sideline even on plays where his initial move was inside.
  • Bland
    • He can play as the Nickel CB now if needed.
    • He needs more work as an outside CB.
  • Mukuamu
    • A tall safety that can play up near the line but coverage like a CB is a big asset.
    • Less LB traits than Kearse, but much more CB traits than Kearse.
  • Bell
    • A notch closer to LB than Mukuamu.
    • I think Mukuamu is slightly ahead, but Bell might be more of an option to play the Kearse hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
  • Harper
    • Might be caught in a numbers crunch, but I can see him developing into a coverage type LB.
    • The role that Neal played in 2021.
  • Malik Jefferson
    • He won't make the 53, at least not initially, but his size/athleticism jumps off the screen.
    • They can keep up to 6 veterans on the practice squad.
    • His physical ability is miles ahead of last years bottom of the roster LB Francis Bernard.
  • Storey Jackson
    • Had an INT. Looks like a big safety.
    • Often looked lost, but did flash.
  • Tyler Coyle
    • He flashed some good skills in coverage with the ability to run step for step with receivers.
    • He was in man coverage in the endzone and IIRC the receiver did catch it for a TD.
    • However, Coyle did force it to be a contested catch. I need to re-watch that one.
  • Juanyeh Thomas
    • Looked lost at times but often flashed good athletic ability.
  • Mika Tafua
    • He knows how to play football, but just doesn't appear to be big enough or fast enough.
  • Big Kat Bryant
    • He has flashed good ability several times.
    • He's a power/leverage type DE. Strong with long arms.
    • I could see him become a rotation DE after a couple of years on the practice squad.
  • Bohanna
    • One of the most improved 2nd year players.
  • Ridgeway
    • Fans are down on him, but he does one thing really well.
      • His hands are very strong to shed blocks at the last second to get to the RB.
    • He gets pushed back which fans hate, but when the RB arrives he often get to him.
    • Occasionally his push-pull-rip-shed move is too early and the RB will go to the opposite side of the block.
    • In my opinion, he is ahead of where Bohanna was at this point last year.
    • It often looks ugly, but the results are often good (i.e. pushed around but ends up get the RB anyway).
  • Josiah Bronson
    • In previous games he flashed, however, he struggled on many snaps vs the Seahawks.
    • - I think he flashed previously due to being a 2nd year player playing in the 3rd/4th quarter vs scrubs.
  • Golston
    • - He's going to be one of those players that some fans hate.
    • - He does not appear to have lost quickness despite a 20 pound weight gain.
    • - Obviously he was never a speed rushing type DE anyway.
    • - He has an above average "feel" for playing from end to sideline.
    • - i.e. He knows when to rush, stay put vs the run or get out towards the sideline to cover action there.
    • - QB rollouts, RBs running routes in the flat, etc.
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game.
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
    • - Has the required size & athleticism but is often lost.
    • - Maybe a couple of years on the practice squad and he could eventually make a roster.
  • Luke Gifford
    • - I didn't focus on him, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time on the majority of snaps.
  • Nahshon Wright
    • His issues remind me of Awuzie.
      • Unfortunately, iit didn't really click for Awuzie until his 5th NFL season and 1st with another team.
    • It's easy to see that Wright is not ready.
      • However, it's also obvious why they're intrigued with him.
    • He is generally the the right place but his timing and point-of-ball-arrival skills are just a little off.
    • With enough reps I can see him it just suddenly "clicking" for him at some point.
      • However, I don't know if practice reps will ever be enough & and they can't play him right now.

Wright simply doesnt have the short area quickness. It was a dumb pick when it happened and its a dumb pick now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Ridgeway will be ok. He will catch on. Very strong, once he figures it out he will use the big body to clog the hole. Then he will get a push against weaker teams and gain some confidence. Alot of these rookies have to get in the mix and gain confidence..

Actually strength is his problem. Big body with weak little arms and weak legs.

conner01

Reaction score
  • Sam Williams
    • He has many signs of a future superstar.
    • Maybe the strongest 4.4 forty player ever.
    • I thought one of their LTs was TE the way SW pushed him around.
    • The speed also shows up.
    • He made multiple tackles out near the sideline even on plays where his initial move was inside.
  • Bland
    • He can play as the Nickel CB now if needed.
    • He needs more work as an outside CB.
  • Mukuamu
    • A tall safety that can play up near the line but coverage like a CB is a big asset.
    • Less LB traits than Kearse, but much more CB traits than Kearse.
  • Bell
    • A notch closer to LB than Mukuamu.
    • I think Mukuamu is slightly ahead, but Bell might be more of an option to play the Kearse hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
  • Harper
    • Might be caught in a numbers crunch, but I can see him developing into a coverage type LB.
    • The role that Neal played in 2021.
  • Malik Jefferson
    • He won't make the 53, at least not initially, but his size/athleticism jumps off the screen.
    • They can keep up to 6 veterans on the practice squad.
    • His physical ability is miles ahead of last years bottom of the roster LB Francis Bernard.
  • Storey Jackson
    • Had an INT. Looks like a big safety.
    • Often looked lost, but did flash.
  • Tyler Coyle
    • He flashed some good skills in coverage with the ability to run step for step with receivers.
    • He was in man coverage in the endzone and IIRC the receiver did catch it for a TD.
    • However, Coyle did force it to be a contested catch. I need to re-watch that one.
  • Juanyeh Thomas
    • Looked lost at times but often flashed good athletic ability.
  • Mika Tafua
    • He knows how to play football, but just doesn't appear to be big enough or fast enough.
  • Big Kat Bryant
    • He has flashed good ability several times.
    • He's a power/leverage type DE. Strong with long arms.
    • I could see him become a rotation DE after a couple of years on the practice squad.
  • Bohanna
    • One of the most improved 2nd year players.
  • Ridgeway
    • Fans are down on him, but he does one thing really well.
      • His hands are very strong to shed blocks at the last second to get to the RB.
    • He gets pushed back which fans hate, but when the RB arrives he often get to him.
    • Occasionally his push-pull-rip-shed move is too early and the RB will go to the opposite side of the block.
    • In my opinion, he is ahead of where Bohanna was at this point last year.
    • It often looks ugly, but the results are often good (i.e. pushed around but ends up get the RB anyway).
  • Josiah Bronson
    • In previous games he flashed, however, he struggled on many snaps vs the Seahawks.
    • - I think he flashed previously due to being a 2nd year player playing in the 3rd/4th quarter vs scrubs.
  • Golston
    • - He's going to be one of those players that some fans hate.
    • - He does not appear to have lost quickness despite a 20 pound weight gain.
    • - Obviously he was never a speed rushing type DE anyway.
    • - He has an above average "feel" for playing from end to sideline.
    • - i.e. He knows when to rush, stay put vs the run or get out towards the sideline to cover action there.
    • - QB rollouts, RBs running routes in the flat, etc.
    • - We saw other defenders struggle with those types of edge issues later in the game.
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart
    • - Has the required size & athleticism but is often lost.
    • - Maybe a couple of years on the practice squad and he could eventually make a roster.
  • Luke Gifford
    • - I didn't focus on him, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time on the majority of snaps.
  • Nahshon Wright
    • His issues remind me of Awuzie.
      • Unfortunately, iit didn't really click for Awuzie until his 5th NFL season and 1st with another team.
    • It's easy to see that Wright is not ready.
      • However, it's also obvious why they're intrigued with him.
    • He is generally the the right place but his timing and point-of-ball-arrival skills are just a little off.
    • With enough reps I can see him it just suddenly "clicking" for him at some point.
      • However, I don't know if practice reps will ever be enough & and they can't play him right now.
Great job as usual
The thing that’s really stood out to me this camp is the power Williams plays with. He has excellent speed but I didn’t expect him to play with the power he does
Another guy is Hendershot and his quickness, for a TE he has really good quickness

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I thought 94 (Bronson) not just flashed more than Ridgeway, he looked better in terms of technique, shedding tackles and finding the ball.

Ridgeway is a power player without power.

He is a tweener DT that lacks burst to play 3tech and power/size/leverage to be effective at 1tech.

His roid rage type game won't make it in the pros. He does nothing at elite level.

I'd keep Watkins or Basham over Ridgeway. PS him if we must, no other team will claim him anyway.

With Bohanna taking a nice leap this yr, you would think Ridgeway could do the same with a year of development, either on the roster or ps.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I thought 94 (Bronson) not just flashed more than Ridgeway, he looked better in terms of technique, shedding tackles and finding the ball.

Ridgeway is a power player without power.

He is a tweener DT that lacks burst to play 3tech and power/size/leverage to be effective at 1tech.

His roid rage type game won't make it in the pros. He does nothing at elite level.

I'd keep Watkins or Basham over Ridgeway. PS him if we must, no other team will claim him anyway.
Give him a yr with our strength coach.

Creeper

Reaction score
Rewatching the game last night, with an eye on the offensive line and a few other players on the bubble I was a little surprised by what I saw.

Josh Ball was okay. Not great but better than he was the first preseason game. maybe this is a sign he is a quick learner and the experience of playing LT will make him better, he will grown into the position by playing this year.

Most of the problems the OL was having came on stunts and twists. But that might be because these guys have not really played together much. On the down side there were some whiffs on defenders shooting the gaps. Isaac Alarcon in particular has trouble with quickness.

Waletzko looked very raw, like Ball did the first game he played. But what I like from all the Cowboys young OL is they at least try to get after people. They look for someone to block instead of standing around. Farniok is the perfect example of this.

Speaking of Farniok. I really love this guy at C. I haven't seen much of Biadasz this year but I am not the least bit worried if Farniok has to play C should Biadasz get injured. McGovern as okay but Farniok is ahead of him at C.

Overall, I think the Cowboys have some talent in the young offensive linemen. But it has to be developed.

On defense, I watched the defensive linemen. First off, Hill should make the team. I know the Cowboys think they have a lot of good DTs but I think Hill is going to be one of the better ones. Watkins looked like he was struggling more than Hill. It would not surprise me if they cut him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Rewatching the game last night, with an eye on the offensive line and a few other players on the bubble I was a little surprised by what I saw.

Josh Ball was okay. Not great but better than he was the first preseason game. maybe this is a sign he is a quick learner and the experience of playing LT will make him better, he will grown into the position by playing this year.

Most of the problems the OL was having came on stunts and twists. But that might be because these guys have not really played together much. On the down side there were some whiffs on defenders shooting the gaps. Isaac Alarcon in particular has trouble with quickness.

Waletzko looked very raw, like Ball did the first game he played. But what I like from all the Cowboys young OL is they at least try to get after people. They look for someone to block instead of standing around. Farniok is the perfect example of this.

Speaking of Farniok. I really love this guy at C. I haven't seen much of Biadasz this year but I am not the least bit worried if Farniok has to play C should Biadasz get injured. McGovern as okay but Farniok is ahead of him at C.

Overall, I think the Cowboys have some talent in the young offensive linemen. But it has to be developed.

On defense, I watched the defensive linemen. First off, Hill should make the team. I know the Cowboys think they have a lot of good DTs but I think Hill is going to be one of the better ones. Watkins looked like he was struggling more than Hill. It would not surprise me if they cut him.
I am still waiting for Farniok to beat out TB at center. TB was and is a weak link.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Few random thoughts. By the way, nice writeup X!

Notice how 2nd year players like Muk & Bo who were being labeled as wasted picks by a large number of folks last year are now looking to be contributors?

I think you are right on Ridgeway. He's about where i would expect him to be at this point. Certainly, he seems to have some tools to work with. Regardless, I am happy that the team now has some larger more forceful pieces to work with on the D line. It only took them like a decade to decide if you wanna stop the run you might want to draft some guys who aren't professional skaters.

Wright - I am torn. He moves better in some ways than I gave him credit for but I still see his change of direction and short area burst as very troubling. Just not sure he can develop into a CB I'd be comfortable with in every down situations. Certainly if he could get better when the ball is arriving it would help his case.