Gameplan against Dallas (what say you?)

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
So in your opinion a great offense beats a great defense? Or would you say a great defense dictates to a great offense... (just sparking a discussion)
In NFL history, in general, when a great offense plays a great defense, or just a very good defense, the defense comes out on top( example both Superbowls between NE and the Giants).

Maybe this Cowboys offense will proof this wrong during their Super Bowl run this year!!!

Go Cowboys!!

quickccc

Reaction score
What did we learn from the New England game and the 1st part of the season, regarding how teams will try to play the Cowboys offensively and defensively out of the bye. Belichick is a great coach so teams was paying attention.

Offensive: stop the run or pass? Make zek or dak beat you? (Tampa and NE approach was definitely make Dak beat you.)

Defensive: make Dallas stop the run or pass? Or will we get a balance offensive attack?

I think teams will force Dak to beat them on offense as Bill and Tampa did... but have no clue where teams will attack this defense. (Diggs, Lawrence and Gregory can impact here forcing teams to run if we have a good pass rush.)

Guess it depends on the opponent team's strengths

To stand the best chance up against any top offense, - you're gonna have to manage to disrupt their OL front. You have to force them to change what they do best.
- KC Chiefs did not have a chance vs Bucs in SB because they lost their two starting OTs, thus Bucs were in backfield harassing, fluttering and frustrating Mahomes all game long.

- Our run game really helps Dak, it’s an dual threat that teams have to contend with,- it allows us to feed off play action and get foes off balance, false step and out of position
and have to mis-guess what our Intentions are. .

- Even if our run game is stymied, we still have to make an attempt to run or make it look run.
- Teams want to force us to be one -dimensional so they can more focus on going after Dak.
He presents the bigger danger to defenses. With the many weaponry receiving targets we have.

- Teams have already tried to disrupt Dak with multiple blitzes – Bucs, Carolina, Eagles.. ,.the Pats.
Bucs and Pats proved to be very tough to run against- thus when they've contested that area, they forced (and dared) Dak to beat them. Yes it took over 50 attempts
But he had his biggest output vs those former 2 defensive teams.

- I believe I read/heard that Dak has been blitzed more than any QB in NFL. - But thus far we’re managing to adjust and beat it .

o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
1) The OL ..Despite the trouble with Tyler, Williams and situation with Steele-Collins, our OL has managed to neutralize opponents best pass rush.

2) Dak’s quick release further frustrates foes, they cannot get to him fast or often enough- and also very big help for OL vs pass.

3) Threat of Run game – it used to be just Zeke, but Pollard brings an electric burst

4) Kellen Moore scheme. He constantly gives you several looks, formations and how he moves personnel around.
A lot of moving parts before the snap, jet sweeps, WR as a RB, OG as as FB, 11 personnel (3 WRs) …. to 12 personnel ( 2 TES)..
He's really growing as a play caller. a terrific pass route designer and he's evolving.- He's learning how to more involve the RBs into the pass game now.

5) you can’t double one single big outside WR … double Lamb and here comes Cooper, Gallup, Wilson, or either of the TEs, plus

6) Just too many multi- weapons to choose from. Lamb can have a small-modest day, while Cooper has a bigger day,.. if the two Outside WRs have modest day ..then the TEs pick up
per Schultz.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think you need:
  • A DT that can overpower Biadasz/Williams.
  • A stout interior in general
  • A speed edge rusher on the left fast enough to cause Steele problems.
  • Good linebackers that can both fill their gaps and bracket Shultz
  • A solid secondary
  • Lots of pre-snap disguise
Cardinal’s, Buccs, and Bills are probably the three defenses best built to slow us down. I don’t think anybody can outright stop us, we have too many weapons.

In terms of game planning I think I would have a strategy similar to Saints 2018 where they disguised coverage pre-snap before making adjustments a few seconds before the snap.

The last few weeks I would have focused coverage on Ceedee Lamb and forced Cooper to be a possession receiver giving nothing over the top. Let’s see how those ribs hold up with 10+ targets.

On 3rd down I would not be letting Shultz beat me. On 1st down I would not be letting Zeke or Ceedee beat me.

steel wont be starting, collins is back.,.just sayign.we just filled a hole..:)

how about stopping AC, Gallup and lamb once you use a bracket on shultz good luck with that..

gallup collins gallimore al back all filling some holes..

notice to opponents we are getting stronger not weaker.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To stand the best chance up against any top offense, - you're gonna have to manage to disrupt their OL front. You have to force them to change what they do best.
- KC Chiefs did not have a chance vs Bucs in SB because they lost their two starting OTs, thus Bucs were in backfield harassing, fluttering and frustrating Mahomes all game long.

- Our run game really helps Dak, it’s an dual threat that teams have to contend with,- it allows us to feed off play action and get foes off balance, false step and out of position
and have to mis-guess what our Intentions are. .

- Even if our run game is stymied, we still have to make an attempt to run or make it look run.
- Teams want to force us to be one -dimensional so they can more focus on going after Dak.
He presents the bigger danger to defenses. With the many weaponry receiving targets we have.

- Teams have already tried to disrupt Dak with multiple blitzes – Bucs, Carolina, Eagles.. ,.the Pats.
Bucs and Pats proved to be very tough to run against- thus when they've contested that area, they forced (and dared) Dak to beat them. Yes it took over 50 attempts
But he had his biggest output vs those former 2 defensive teams.

- I believe I read/heard that Dak has been blitzed more than any QB in NFL. - But thus far we’re managing to adjust and beat it .

o_O
add to it Mahomes had severely injured toe and bad OL is not recipe for success..that defense was let off the hook..you can beat great defense with great offense because they cant take it all away..

this is the new nfl and btw TB also had great Offense not the same thing..most of the great defenses in the league had weak offense and carried the team but a great offense can still put up more points against that great defense if a weak offense is in tow..

mmohican29

Reaction score
What did we learn from the New England game and the 1st part of the season, regarding how teams will try to play the Cowboys offensively and defensively out of the bye. Belichick is a great coach so teams was paying attention.

Offensive: stop the run or pass? Make zek or dak beat you? (Tampa and NE approach was definitely make Dak beat you.)

Defensive: make Dallas stop the run or pass? Or will we get a balance offensive attack?

I think teams will force Dak to beat them on offense as Bill and Tampa did... but have no clue where teams will attack this defense. (Diggs, Lawrence and Gregory can impact here forcing teams to run if we have a good pass rush.)

Guess it depends on the opponent team's strengths

If I'm a DC, I'm taking the approach that LAC did . Eliminate the big play and hope your front 4 has a good day and the Cowboys short circuit more than usual.

LAC was a play and a bad call away from being blown out, then turned the game into a dogfight and probably should have won it.

Praxit

Reaction score
3 Hail Mary's, 2 Our Fathers' and bag of Kettle corn. ;)

Big D

Reaction score
The best way to stop our offense is keep them on the sideline. I'd purposely extend my offensive by drives running the ball right into the center of our defense. We can't stop it. So far teams we've played have taken the run game away from themselves trying to open up the offense. I'd do the opposite.

Zman5

Reaction score
You can have the blue print but doesn't mean you can pull it off. Not many teams have a Bellicheat and the NE front 7 is pretty stout.

Big_C_KU

Reaction score
Defensively you stop the run 1st. Dallas is near impossible to beat when they can run and continually gain 5+ yards on first down. If every set of downs you’re constantly having to face Dak and the offense in a 2nd and 5 or less scenarios then you’re going to struggle mightily to get them off the field and that 2nd and short opens up greatest chances for Dak to attempt to make the big play. Must get Dallas offense behind the sticks to have a chance at getting them off the field. Stopping the run is your first step at doing.

Defensively you attack the middle of the defense. It’s shown to be vulnerable in the middle as the LB and S coverage isn’t the best. TEs and RBs have had success. Teams have been successful running WRs over the middle and letting them get YAC as well.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Teams SHOULD try to do exactly what NE did. Try to shut down the run and make us one dimensional. They should run the ball on us as long as they can sustain it. I’m not saying it’ll work. I’m just saying I think that’s the best way to approach us.