Gannon to Retire

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After 17 years in the NFL, Oakland quarterback Rich Gannon is going to retire from football and continue to live with his family in Excelsior. Gannon was the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2002 when he led the Raiders to the Super Bowl. He broke a vertebra in his neck early last season.

"I have that neck injury and it's not going to be wise for me not to play any more football," he said Sunday. "I am flying out to California [today] to see the doctor who has treated me for the injury."

Drafted by the Vikings in 1987, Gannon spent six seasons here, then time with Washington and Kansas City before getting a real opportunity with the Raiders. In a four-season span from 1999-2002, he passed for 105 touchdowns and nearly 16,000 yards and made the Pro Bowl four times. His past two seasons ended because of injuries, however.

"I owe a lot to Al Davis of the Raiders for giving me the opportunity he did," Gannon said. "I hope to continue to do some work for the Raiders. I also have been talking to some of the networks about doing some work on the NFL telecasts."

Gannon is one of the leaders of fundraising for research for celiac disease. His wife, Shelly, is a former Gophers gymnast and daughter of former Vikings fullback Bill Brown. One of their daughters, Danielle, has celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance. The local International Walk for Celiac Disease (www.celiacwalk.org) will be at Minneapolis' Boom Island at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Registration starts at 8:30, and Gannon and a number of other celebrities will be there to sign autographs.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1405/5405127.html

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
There was a rumor on the Eagles board that they were considering giving him a spot on the coaching staff. No reputable sources or details, just a rumor, so take it with about a pound of salt. Some guy claimed that a co-worker was at an Eagles banquet and Gannon's name was mentioned as a possible coach of some sort. He is from the Delaware and Philly area, so it is a possibility. Of course, everyone was saying the same thing about Eddie George last year.

k19

Reaction score
Glad he decided to retire. I think thats whats in the best interest of him and his family. Good luck Rich

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I honestly thought Gannon had already retired. He was the kind of QB I was hoping the Cowboys could find. A guy who was never given a legit shot, gotten better with age, and placed in the right system for his talents. There are more players out there like him, you just need a keen eye for talent to find them.