Garret's Ability to Adapt Makes a Difference; Now They Have to Play 60 Minutes

leeblair

Reaction score
Two years ago, the Dallas Cowboys were humiliated on a Sunday night on national television by the New Orleans Saints.

Sean Payton correctly game planned for our offense, and it was as if the defenders knew the pass patterns, and were sitting there waiting on the recievers. The linemen contained Romo in the pocket, and silenced our brand new superstar as we all sat in disappointment.

It didn't have to happen that way. Bill Parcells wouldn't adjust, even after it was clear that New Orleans had our number. The linemen containing Romo, and the Defenders sitting back waiting on the recievers left a glaring hole in the New Orleans defense- the screen pass- yet Parcells never called the first one. The result was a humiliating loss on national tv, sending critics into a frenzy because the Cowboys weren't as good as they thought they were.

But, it wasn't like that. Adjustments would have allowed our offense to control the ball, and take it away from New Orlean's offense. Parcells wouldn't make them, but Jason Garrett does.

But, under Parcells, no one quit until the final whistle. Last year, they began to assume that lowly teams would fold, and began to play somewhat lackadaisically in the early parts of games. The result was a couple of close calls, and an early exit from the playoffs.

Despite our offense getting out of sync, and lacking continuity last year, the one strength we had was Jason Garrett's willingness to "shoot from the hip"; which allowed the offense to change plays and redirect their game plan as needed in the middle of the game to exploit weaknesses in the other team's defense.

Garrett's first season was a success. If he can correct the overconfidence, and the apathy that led this team to play uninspired- as if they thought the other teams would just fold when they walked onto the field, and go back to playing 60 minutes of football, the Cowboys should move to the next level easily, and bring home the trophy this year.

But, this idea that teams that are struggling will just quit when they see the Cowboys walk on the field must stop. Two years ago, the Panthers seemed to be ready to cruise to an easy victory agaisnt the Cowboys- but the Cowboys were just getting ready to play, and didn't quite agree. The Cowboys came from behind, and defeated the Panthers in an embarassing loss to them at home, launching a playoff run that ended in heartbreak for us in Seattle.

This past season, the Cowboys seemed to change from that team that took nothing for granted, and played the full 60 minutes, to a team that seemed to think they would walk out with an easy victory- often surprised when the other team didn't agree.

So, their strength they have gained, versus a weakness they have developed, must be tuned up this year. Get rid of that weakness, and we've got ourselves something to be excited about.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I remember JuJu breaking a 70 yard TD run and then not being used for the rest of the game.

The Panch

Reaction score
I thought his game planning got weak and one dimensional throughout the season in the games we lost (NE/PHI) his refusal to develop a running game hurt our offense. I thought his game plan against NE and refusal to rely more on a running game that was owning their D-line as opposed to a passing game that just wasnt there killed their offense and with Romo playing like crap against Philly, he didnt even try to run the ball to take the pressure off him. He's gonna have to do a better job at in game injustments.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Our running game must improve and with our OL and the backs we now have, I think it's a certainty that it will. That alone will make us tough to stop.

The Panch

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2144216 said:
Our running game must improve and with our OL and the backs we now have, I think it's a certainty that it will. That alone will make us tough to stop.
I was referring to when our running game was moving well(against NE) and when Romo looked awful(against PHI).

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2144179 said:
I remember JuJu breaking a 70 yard TD run and then not being used for the rest of the game.

Yes, and he sure did look good on that run.

khiladi

Reaction score
The Panch;2144221 said:
I was referring to when our running game was moving well(against NE) and when Romo looked awful(against PHI).

I believe Romo's hand was bothering him way more than he led us to believe.... The WRs got behind Philly many times last year...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
leeblair;2144156 said:
Two years ago, the Dallas Cowboys were humiliated on a Sunday night on national television by the New Orleans Saints.

Sean Payton correctly game planned for our offense, and it was as if the defenders knew the pass patterns, and were sitting there waiting on the recievers. The linemen contained Romo in the pocket, and silenced our brand new superstar as we all sat in disappointment.

It didn't have to happen that way. Bill Parcells wouldn't adjust, even after it was clear that New Orleans had our number. The linemen containing Romo, and the Defenders sitting back waiting on the recievers left a glaring hole in the New Orleans defense- the screen pass- yet Parcells never called the first one. The result was a humiliating loss on national tv, sending critics into a frenzy because the Cowboys weren't as good as they thought they were.

But, it wasn't like that. Adjustments would have allowed our offense to control the ball, and take it away from New Orlean's offense. Parcells wouldn't make them, but Jason Garrett does.

But, under Parcells, no one quit until the final whistle. Last year, they began to assume that lowly teams would fold, and began to play somewhat lackadaisically in the early parts of games. The result was a couple of close calls, and an early exit from the playoffs.

Despite our offense getting out of sync, and lacking continuity last year, the one strength we had was Jason Garrett's willingness to "shoot from the hip"; which allowed the offense to change plays and redirect their game plan as needed in the middle of the game to exploit weaknesses in the other team's defense.

Garrett's first season was a success. If he can correct the overconfidence, and the apathy that led this team to play uninspired- as if they thought the other teams would just fold when they walked onto the field, and go back to playing 60 minutes of football, the Cowboys should move to the next level easily, and bring home the trophy this year.

But, this idea that teams that are struggling will just quit when they see the Cowboys walk on the field must stop. Two years ago, the Panthers seemed to be ready to cruise to an easy victory agaisnt the Cowboys- but the Cowboys were just getting ready to play, and didn't quite agree. The Cowboys came from behind, and defeated the Panthers in an embarassing loss to them at home, launching a playoff run that ended in heartbreak for us in Seattle.

This past season, the Cowboys seemed to change from that team that took nothing for granted, and played the full 60 minutes, to a team that seemed to think they would walk out with an easy victory- often surprised when the other team didn't agree.

So, their strength they have gained, versus a weakness they have developed, must be tuned up this year. Get rid of that weakness, and we've got ourselves something to be excited about.
Really good post.

I like the way Owens described the changes in Offense this year. He didn't describe it as revamped or retooled. Instead he just said it was basically more dangerous because it will exploit things in new ways.

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2144240 said:
the problem wasnt julius jones it was your oline's lack of opening holes,barber can run behind your line cause he can run over people..it was more of your oline then julius!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
redskins1;2144372 said:
the problem wasnt julius jones it was your oline's lack of opening holes,barber can run behind your line cause he can run over people..it was more of your oline then julius!!
No, it was Tony Sparano's college run blocking schemes.

Hudson Houck will be a whole different type of run blocking coach.

The Panch

Reaction score
redskins1;2144372 said:
It was both. Those lineman werent magnetics who gravitated Jones towards their back as opposed to the open hole.

leeblair

Reaction score
I think we all agree that they have to utilize the run game in a way as to bring some continuity to the offense.

And, the truth is, our run blocking-even though we have a superior O-line, did leave a lot to be desired. You don't want your running back to have to be a hammer.

It's better to have a quick running back, and the offensive line open the holes for him.

You give up too much in speed and durability when you ask your back to be the blocker and the runner.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Any apathy that led to uninspired play came directly from the top, Coach Wade......not Garrett.

BlueBlazer

Reaction score
Hostile;2144384 said:
No, it was Tony Sparano's college run blocking schemes.

Hudson Houck will be a whole different type of run blocking coach.

Amen!

One of the most significant hires this off season IMHO.

odog422

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2144728 said:
Any apathy that led to uninspired play came directly from the top, Coach Wade......not Garrett.

Agreed.

I recognize these guys are professionals and "grown men," however, there is an "edge" that a HC must communicate. And IMO that doesn't necessarily mean screaming and hollaring, but the HC must be able to "push" these guys in a way to maximize effort.

The constant references to how "loaded" this team is just reiterates how important Wade's job will be this year. I don't want these guys to have to realize during the course of a game, "hey, these guys are trying to kick our a**!"

Oversimplification I know, but Wade has got to have the pulse of this team to ensure the intensity is up. This season will truly define whether he has the wherewithal to do so.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
What will really help is having a rb of Felix's ability to help out Barber and generate some offense. Every time Julius and his lack of vision came in , we had O-linemen more worried about the back of their knees than blocking their man.

This upgrade at rb and it's production , will help the most.

leeblair;2144724 said:
I think we all agree that they have to utilize the run game in a way as to bring some continuity to the offense.

And, the truth is, our run blocking-even though we have a superior O-line, did leave a lot to be desired. You don't want your running back to have to be a hammer.

It's better to have a quick running back, and the offensive line open the holes for him.

You give up too much in speed and durability when you ask your back to be the blocker and the runner.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2144240 said:

Especially when Terrell Owens streaked past him and pretty much beat him into the end zone.

sago1

Reaction score
Wade also did something else I didn't like from the get go & hope to see it stop immediately.

Now I don't believe in running up the score ridiculously high (Wade obviously has similar view) but also believe it is foolish to pull the plug on our offense late in the 3rd quarter & Wade did that several times. For example, near the end of the 3rd quarter against the Rams, we were leading 38-7 or so; we sat on that score (Romo removed from game) rest of the game. Happened again several other times including one game where we only had a 10 or so point lead & the other team certainly could have staged a comeback & who can be sure our offense could have rebounded with another score -- but Wade again shut down the scoring.

It must be reinforced to the whole team (maybe Wade needs a reality check as well) that games go for 60 minutes rpt 60 minutes, and if we score more then 40 points so be it. Again, not saying we leave Romo in for the 4th quarter throwing balls around, but shutting down our offense after the 3rd quarter just breeds overconfidence, particularly in our offense, that we can gin up our scoring whenever we want. It doesn't work that way cause the team could lose his rhyam or the other team could find theres. It just seems to me to breed the overconfidence that other teams will fold & a team desperate to win in the playoffs and the SB can't afford to play that way.

BTW: Another example was the Packer game where we had a very good lead in the 2nd quarter but after Favre went out it was like either the energy drained out of us or we just took the win for granted & lost our intensity on both sides of the ball. Admittedly we got it back late in the 3rd/4th quarter, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, but it was a darned close call which wasn't necessary.

Agree that Wade needs to toughen up to the extend he doesn't allow any player to take another team for granted, doesn't hold back our offense as much as I felt he did by simply not allowing them to score more then 38 points except as needed in the first Giant game.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I've charted that Saints game and Romo didn't play nearly as bad as given credit for. He had numerous dropped passes and missed blocking assignments. After that game teams followed suit by keeping Romo in the pocket, but the team was continued to be plagued by drops and Kyle Kosier struggling with stunts and Marco Rivera being practically useless.

Based off of 2007, I'm not really concerned about Garrett's ability to adapt as he showed me consistently of his ability to come up with different gameplans. Like the Minnesota game where the offense just plain gassed the Williams boys with a no huddle offense. Or after the Rams and Bills games where Garrett utilized basic offensive schemes and immediately start changing things up after the Bills game. Then there was the Detroit game where the offense passed the ball to Witten over and over again for 28 points and a victory.

Even in the Giants playoff game Dallas came out running quite a bit with great success. Unfortunately, the players got in their own way with penalties, bad shotgun snaps and dropped passes. Hell, 2 of the dropped passes would've led to TD's, meaning Dallas would've scored 28 points against the "vaunted" G-Men defense who gave the Cowboys lousy field position (the big factor of the game) almost all game long. I can't blame Garrett for "not adjusting" when the team keeps making penalties, the center forgets how to shotgun snap, and the players drop key passes.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
sago1;2159926 said:
Now I don't believe in running up the score ridiculously high (Wade obviously has similar view) but also believe it is foolish to pull the plug on our offense late in the 3rd quarter & Wade did that several times. For example, near the end of the 3rd quarter against the Rams, we were leading 38-7 or so; we sat on that score (Romo removed from game) rest of the game. Happened again several other times including one game where we only had a 10 or so point lead & the other team certainly could have staged a comeback & who can be sure our offense could have rebounded with another score -- but Wade again shut down the scoring.

It must be reinforced to the whole team (maybe Wade needs a reality check as well) that games go for 60 minutes rpt 60 minutes, and if we score more then 40 points so be it. Again, not saying we leave Romo in for the 4th quarter throwing balls around, but shutting down our offense after the 3rd quarter just breeds overconfidence, particularly in our offense, that we can gin up our scoring whenever we want. It doesn't work that way cause the team could lose his rhyam or the other team could find theres. It just seems to me to breed the overconfidence that other teams will fold & a team desperate to win in the playoffs and the SB can't afford to play that way.

That's just playing the percentages. When you're up by quite a bit in the second half, you run the ball out to close out the game. If you keep throwing the ball, not only does that stop the clock, but now you give the opposing defense a better chance of making a huge play...like a QB strip and TD return or an INT TD return. That puts the opposing team back in the game.

Almost every coach not named Mike Martz does this. Be it Parcells, Gibbs, Walsh, Cowher, etc. That's why each of them have ridiculous win loss records when they are up by 10+ points at the start of the 4th quarter. Not to mention I've always felt that bringing in the backups is a good idea because not only does it prevent injuries to your starters, but if your starter does get injured, at least the backup has gotten some quality playing time.

I think the key in those situations is to run the clock out as soon as possible. That doesn't mean running the ball every down, that means just getting first downs so the clock keeps moving in your favor.

YAKUZA