Twitter: Garrett: A better o-line will lead to a better defense

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm all for adding a player with OT flex to the OL, given what happened in front of us yesterday. But I'm not sure I buy the argument that it helps the defense very much. Thats ok, though, because we've got plenty of needs. I'm not even counting on or hoping we run the ball more (though I do think the interior player helps in short yardage situations to keep drives going). As long as we're moving the ball and scoring, I don't care much how we get it done.

I do hope we get some defensive players to help on defense, too, today. :)

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
With Romo's back problems, maybe the staff will finally commit to running the ball out of necessity. I like what I'm hearing but am anxious to see it play out during the games.

Day late and a dollar short. I have the same injury and same age and it isn't a great feeling. The torquing of the torso is painful. We better have a backup plan very soon

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The best defense is a better offense. No reason why this offense can't increase Time of Possession and put up More points..

Play some keep away...

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
And that is why I am not opposed to taking a WR in the 2nd and a RB in the 3rd. I'll gladly take a Davonte Adams or Maquise Lee in the 2nd and Sankey or Seastrunk in the 3rd. If we can keep the defense off the field for even just a series or two or maybe get an extra TD or FG here, it takes a lot of pressure off the defense. And you never know who will get injured.

Draft BPA. Gameplan to your strengths and minimize your weakness. If we are running the ball well in December, I'd say we have a good chance at the playoffs.

cowboyfan4life2

Reaction score
And that is why I am not opposed to taking a WR in the 2nd and a RB in the 3rd. I'll gladly take a Davonte Adams or Maquise Lee in the 2nd and Sankey or Seastrunk in the 3rd. If we can keep the defense off the field for even just a series or two or maybe get an extra TD or FG here, it takes a lot of pressure off the defense. And you never know who will get injured.

Draft BPA. Gameplan to your strengths and minimize your weakness. If we are running the ball well in December, I'd say we have a good chance at the playoffs.

Lets just draft offense the rest of the draft, maybe we can set nfl records for inept defensive play.

802dave

Reaction score
3 out of the last 4 drafts, they have taken an OLman in the 1st round. Seems like they finally understand that you have to have a great offensive line! Now they need to do the same with the defensive line. Games are won in the trenches! Please DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds!

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I like the idea Jason, but we all know that running the ball is not your style so I'll believe it when I see it.

With that said, I love the pick and like the fact that we have three number 1's on the Oline. That's how you build football teams, from the inside out.

Gameover

Reaction score
I dont have a problem w/ the Cowboys solidifying a unit on this team.

coult44

Reaction score
Running the ball will help you run the ball better. When we ran the ball last year we were a top 5 running team........
Keep training JG...it's not helping yet...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yeah I kind of thought about saying the same cynical things, but the fact is that at this point it's nitpicking. Cowboys made a great pick, at some point you do have to trust that he is trying to deliver in this way.

I was hoping they would pick Johnny Manziel. But I understand the logic in picking Martin. If your goal is to ride with Romo for three to four more years, you'd better get a line to protect him. I know a lot of people were looking for defense. But a great safety isn't going to improve this defense with so many holes to fill. So you'd better protect the one person (Romo) who keeps us in games and keeps us at least in contention for the playoffs.
I think that window has closed, personally. But if one doesn't believe that, then the selection of Martin makes sense.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I was hoping they would pick Johnny Manziel. But I understand the logic in picking Martin. If your goal is to ride with Romo for three to four more years, you'd better get a line to protect him. I know a lot of people were looking for defense. But a great safety isn't going to improve this defense with so many holes to fill. So you'd better protect the one person (Romo) who keeps us in games and keeps us at least in contention for the playoffs.
I think that window has closed, personally. But if one doesn't believe that, then the selection of Martin makes sense.

I do think a great safety would go a long way in filling holes, but safety is SO HARD to pick well, even in the first. FS has become a very undervalued position that is hard to fill well.

Sydla

Reaction score
I want to believe you Jason, but the Cowboys hired a pass happy OC this offseason.

So nah........