Garrett/Linehan get a pass in 2018 & 2019 because no Witten/Dez

millennial_legend

Reaction score
... "they had to adjust to losing their 2 franchise cornerstone skill players on offense"... "you have to consider 8-8 a good season considering the circumstances..."

When will we be hearing this and how much?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The notion that Garrett is on the hot seat this season has been entirely created by fans. Jerry's words have suggested nothing of the sort, whether we like it or not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something tells me they won’t get a pass on fans blaming them for whatever bizarre **** they can dream up, at least.

Go gettem, tigers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
... "they had to adjust to losing their 2 franchise cornerstone skill players on offense"... "you have to consider 8-8 a good season considering the circumstances..."

I don't see it, Cowboys choose to release Dez. Cowboys have drafted TE over the last few years and if Witten indeed choose to retire then the guys the Cowboys have drafted must step up. I don't see any of these moves as a means for making excuses.

The Natural

Reaction score
The notion that Garrett is on the hot seat this season has been entirely created by fans. Jerry's words have suggested nothing of the sort, whether we like it or not.
We'll see what tune you're singing after a sub .500 season. This is the booty goon's last go round

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They certainly should get a pass.

If our passing offense was 26th with them what might it drop to without them?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They certainly should get a pass.

If our passing offense was 26th with them what might it drop to without them?

It's going to be hard to find explosive plays this year.

I don't think they are done this offseason. I'm looking at the Bronco's WR situation.

SSoup

Reaction score
This is how the Joneses work.

If the offense is anything less than elite, they’ll be thinking, “Boy, add a #1 receiver and a weapon at TE, and this thing will be great again.” Just like one year without Murray convinced them to spend a top 5 pick on a RB when our running game wasn’t even a problem.

The Joneses can only go so long not having steak on their plate at the WR position after being spoiled for so long by WRs worthy of being Triplet-caliber. And after being spoiled with Witten for so long (and looking around and seeing other teams have weapons there), I suspect TE quickly becomes a position where anything less than steak will become distasteful in a hurry for them.

Anyone in our scouting department who spends the next months obsessive about wideouts or receiving TEs is probably going to find they have the Joneses’ ears, whether the 2019 draft has studs at those spots or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Something tells me they won’t get a pass on fans blaming them for whatever bizarre **** they can dream up, at least.

Go gettem, tigers.

Something tells me you will sooner agree that the Earth is the center of the universe before you blame this coaching staff for any shortcoming.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something tells me you will sooner agree that the Earth is the center of the universe before you blame this coaching staff for any shortcoming.

Whatever that “something” is, you should stop listening to it. It’s leading you to all sorts of wrong conclusions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is how the Joneses work.

If the offense is anything less than elite, they’ll be thinking, “Boy, add a #1 receiver and a weapon at TE, and this thing will be great again.” Just like one year without Murray convinced them to spend a top 5 pick on a RB when our running game wasn’t even a problem.

The Joneses can only go so long not having steak on their plate at the WR position after being spoiled for so long by WRs worthy of being Triplet-caliber. And after being spoiled with Witten for so long (and looking around and seeing other teams have weapons there), I suspect TE quickly becomes a position where anything less than steak will become distasteful in a hurry for them.

Anyone in our scouting department who spends the next months obsessive about wideouts or receiving TEs is probably going to find they have the Joneses’ ears, whether the 2019 draft has studs at those spots or not.
Yep..I just hope they feel the same way about QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score

looking for trouble some of you just can't help yourselves LOL

CPanther95

Reaction score
I think you overestimate how rational an excuse must be for the bullseye to shift from Garrett to one of the scapegoats under him. If Ryan can take the blame for 2012 because he wasn't able to turn a manure pile of talent into a championship caliber defence, there's no reason to think real excuses are necessary for Garret to keep his job no matter how poorly they do.

jrumann59

Reaction score
They will have the excuse that they do not have an established #1 or TE that knows the offense, they are changing from a vertical themed offense to something Dak friendly some amalgamation of RO/RPO/WCO, and the defense has no starting safeties...

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Garrett and Linahan have had their share of passes and they're leading the league in drops when compared to other coaches:)