Garrett/Linehan's offense exposed Romo to injury

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any HC will tell you that they are always learning. The game changes and either they adapt to it or are forced out.

Learning and training are two different things.

TheGodfather

Reaction score
Hey Strolly. You know there is such a thing as being too smart for your own good. Garrett is like that to me. Keep things simple. That was Rob Ryans disease too and why he isnt successful.
BINGO!!! I'm not opposed to a trick play from time to time. It keeps things interesting. But Garrets offense seems to rely a little too much on misdirection and skullduggery at times. Personally I think we have the horses to line up and lay the wood to opposing D's with good runs and quick passes. When I start seeing reverses and cutsie pass plays I start wanting to throw a brick through the TV.

haleyrules

Reaction score
BINGO!!! I'm not opposed to a trick play from time to time. It keeps things interesting. But Garrets offense seems to rely a little too much on misdirection and skullduggery at times. Personally I think we have the horses to line up and lay the wood to opposing D's with good runs and quick passes. When I start seeing reverses and cutsie pass plays I start wanting to throw a brick through the TV.
lol. Me too. I always enjoyed Johnson/Turners game. Can not beat timing patterns based on the quick release. Thats what made Troy. The 90's team had the right personnel (smart players and coaches) to make it work. The present club with this line and this running game could get back to a more basic and dominant offense. Could use a burner or great route running at WR.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Have you ever wondered why Tom Brady never gets hurt? Because he never gets hit. The ball is out of his hands too quickly. Because of the system NE runs. Three step drops. Quick passes. Crossing routes. Rub routes. TE seam routes. Swing passes to pass catching backs.

Versus the Garrett/Linehan system. Deep drops. Long-developing deep routes by WRs. Virtually no rub routes. Few three step drops. Even with the best OL in the league, percentages are that your QB is going to get hit more. And especially with a QB like Romo who likes to extend plays, he has been exposed by this system and his style of play to injury.

I have always disliked the Garrett offense. This is another reason why.

Well, for starters you have Dez, who is a poor route runner. Great reciever, but below average in that area. Then you have Williams who is great at getting seperation down field, but inconsistent on shorter routes because he's a notorious body catcher. Beasley and Witten would excell in that type of offense, but that's really about it.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IIRC a few of Tony's injuries were due to the OL missing a block and Romo got hit really quickly. I do not put any of this on the coaching for the scheme.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Tony is trapeze artist that likes practicing without a net, always betting on himself sometimes he loses.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
In my opinion Romo's unwillingness to throw the ball away is a big part of it as well. He rarely if ever threw the ball away, he preferred to extend plays with his legs which opens you up to more hits. Just a nature of being a scrambling type QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion Romo's unwillingness to throw the ball away is a big part of it as well. He rarely if ever threw the ball away, he preferred to extend plays with his legs which opens you up to more hits.
Exactly.