Garrett's one glaring playcalling mistake

t-rock

Reaction score
After the Boy's made the goalline stand, they get a couple of first downs. Then they end up at 3rd and 4 or 5. Garrett calls a run to Choice instead of putting the ball in his Pro Bowl QB's hands. He's stopped for no gain. Now Choice had a wonderful game, no doubt about it. But as a playcaller you have to allow your superstar to make the play, not a rookie RB. If they make the 1st down there the game is probably over. While there is no guarantee that Romo makes the play(he certainly had a terrible game) his number should have been called. If I'm Garrett, that's the one play I kick myself for.

kmp77

Reaction score
t-rock;2471637 said:
After the Boy's made the goalline stand, they get a couple of first downs. Then they end up at 3rd and 4 or 5. Garrett calls a run to Choice instead of putting the ball in his Pro Bowl QB's hands. He's stopped for no gain. Now Choice had a wonderful game, no doubt about it. But as a playcaller you have to allow your superstar to make the play, not a rookie RB. If they make the 1st down there the game is probably over. While there is no guarantee that Romo makes the play(he certainly had a terrible game) his number should have been called. If I'm Garrett, that's the one play I kick myself for.

Choice had an almost perfect game. Romo had 4 turnovers and played poorly for the most part. There were two plays that we ran Choice...wasn't that we ran Choice...but the play we called.... :bang2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Actually, that one's on Romo. He checked out of the play to the run.

I believe every time he yelled "kill, kill, kill" today we went to a run. That has to be changed.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I certainly don't know - and I am all for blaming today on Garrett, but I think someone said Romo audibled to that play.

khiladi

Reaction score
It was annoying as hell to see this offense have to hurry up to get the ball off at the snap. Instead of working to the line with plenty of time left to make sure that every blitzer is accounted for, this sloppy offense would snap the ball on zero seconds everytime...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I can't say for certain if Romo checked out of a pass or not but I was shocked myself we didn't throw for it.

If we get a 1st down there then they would've had a heck of a time trying to come back.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That play was disheartening cause I really felt like if we'd have thrown for a first down there, even if we don't score on the drive, we could have taken an extra couple of minutes off the clock and that would have made all the difference today.

t-rock

Reaction score
vta;2471692 said:
I certainly don't know - and I am all for blaming today on Garrett, but I think someone said Romo audibled to that play.

I'll have to look at the tape. If he did audible, it'll be interesting to see the D's alignment. Of course, without knowing what play he audibled out of, it might not make difference.

thekavorka

Reaction score
the huge play call was when we ran deon anderson on 4th and inches.

ugh. just qb sneak

Reaction score
t-rock;2471637 said:

oh the 4th and 1 to the fullback was really solid...:bang2:

Givincer

Reaction score
I usually never say calls are "bad" because often times when they get called bad, plays were there on the field to be made, and players just didn't make them.

But this made no sense at all to me, with 9 minutes left.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
thekavorka;2471748 said:
the huge play call was when we ran deon anderson on 4th and inches.

ugh. just qb sneak
Not a bad play call. Just a horrendous run by Anderson. All he had to do was run up Gurode/Davis's backside as the play was designed. They had tremendous push on that play, but Deon inexplicably sidestepped to his left.

Givincer

Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2471753 said:
oh the 4th and 1 to the fullback was really solid...:bang2:

Forgot about that one.

Made no sense at all either. I bet Choice would've had it, because perhaps the fullback would've been there to block the guy who tackled him! :laugh2:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hated both of those calls: 3rd and 6 draw to Choice and 4th down to Anderson who NEVER touches the ball. Just didn't make sense.

Reaction score
Some people shouldn't be allowed to start threads... Mods please spare us. Romo had a horrible game and I'm sure Garrett didn't look like a genius out there as well.

t-rock

Reaction score
Givincer;2471759 said:
I usually never say calls are "bad" because often times when they get called bad, plays were there on the field to be made, and players just didn't make them.

But this made no sense at all to me, with 9 minutes left.

I agree, there are so many reasons a particular play might be called at different points in the game. Determining if it was a poor decision or not is near impossible without knowing what the gameplan is, what the original play call was(if Romo indeed audibled), etc.
It is my opinion though that was a play where the ball absolutely must be in Romo's hands.

t-rock

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2471776 said:
Some people shouldn't be allowed to start threads... Mods please spare us. Romo had a horrible game and I'm sure Garrett didn't look like a genius out there as well.

Feel free to block my posts from being seen by you.
I'm just a poor coach trying to participate in a discussion. You need not be involved.

Givincer

Reaction score
t-rock;2471819 said:
I agree, there are so many reasons a particular play might be called at different points in the game. Determining if it was a poor decision or not is near impossible without knowing what the gameplan is, what the original play call was(if Romo indeed audibled), etc.
It is my opinion though that was a play where the ball absolutely must be in Romo's hands.

No question about it, it's your best chance to get 5 yards.