Garrett's one glaring playcalling mistake

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
why are people blaming the coaches?

This one is on the players. More than any of the other losses this team had, this one is 100% on the players.

And its on the star players at that. Romo, newman, Owens, Witten. They let this franchise down tonight and in turn we will probably be looking in from the outside in 3 weeks.

Givincer

Reaction score
theebs;2471859 said:
why are people blaming the coaches?

This one is on the players. More than any of the other losses this team had, this one is 100% on the players.

And its on the star players at that. Romo, newman, Owens, Witten. They let this franchise down tonight and in turn we will probably be looking in from the outside in 3 weeks.

I'm not blaming the coaches for the loss, I'm just am dumbfounded by two particular play calls in a couple pretty key situations. But as has been mentioned, Romo could've easily audibled into these plays; they may not have even been called in from Garrett.

Definitely not all Garrett's fault that we lost. I don't think I'd ever say that.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
t-rock;2471637 said:
After the Boy's made the goalline stand, they get a couple of first downs. Then they end up at 3rd and 4 or 5. Garrett calls a run to Choice instead of putting the ball in his Pro Bowl QB's hands. He's stopped for no gain. Now Choice had a wonderful game, no doubt about it. But as a playcaller you have to allow your superstar to make the play, not a rookie RB. If they make the 1st down there the game is probably over. While there is no guarantee that Romo makes the play(he certainly had a terrible game) his number should have been called. If I'm Garrett, that's the one play I kick myself for.

It was a good audible, but Troy Polamalu was unblocked and made a super-man tackle to save the play.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2471765 said:
Not a bad play call. Just a horrendous run by Anderson. All he had to do was run up Gurode/Davis's backside as the play was designed. They had tremendous push on that play, but Deon inexplicably sidestepped to his left.

and how do you know which design that play was?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
t-rock;2471637 said:
After the Boy's made the goalline stand, they get a couple of first downs. Then they end up at 3rd and 4 or 5. Garrett calls a run to Choice instead of putting the ball in his Pro Bowl QB's hands. He's stopped for no gain. Now Choice had a wonderful game, no doubt about it. But as a playcaller you have to allow your superstar to make the play, not a rookie RB. If they make the 1st down there the game is probably over. While there is no guarantee that Romo makes the play(he certainly had a terrible game) his number should have been called. If I'm Garrett, that's the one play I kick myself for.

I agree. I still think despite the turnovers excluding the last one obviously, we win the game if the defense continues to play like the first 3 quarters.

It was a defensive game with turnovers on both sides. I can't say with conviction but it appeared the pressure was dialed down with the 13-3 lead.

Or I'm I wrong?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2471915 said:
and how do you know which design that play was?
I don't know of any plays that are designed where the back takes the handoff, runs straight ahead, then sidesteps to the left.

Maybe there are some, but it would be really odd to design such play as a short yardage play.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2471770 said:
I hated both of those calls: 3rd and 6 draw to Choice and 4th down to Anderson who NEVER touches the ball. Just didn't make sense.

it wouldn't have probably been 4th down if Garrett wasn't so averse to lining up and pounding the ball

this reliance on misdirection and off-balance running plays as the bulk of the rushing attack is maddening

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2471935 said:
I don't know of any plays that are designed where the back takes the handoff, runs straight ahead, then sidesteps to the left.

Maybe there are some, but it would be really odd to design such play as a short yardage play.

there are misdirection rushing plays, give the appearance that you are running right, only to ask the back to cut it left

given Garrett's nature, that probably was the ****** call, instead of lining it up and playing smash-mouth football

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2471946 said:
there are misdirection rushing plays, give the appearance that you are running right, only to ask the back to cut it left
Yup, there are, and if that was one, he screwed it up too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2471950 said:
Yup, there are, and if that was one, he screwed it up too.

if that was the play, no back would have succeeded, you don't give that front 7 an extra second to penetrate, which a misdirection run would do

I think Garrett got desperate and called a little bit of trickery, and it blew up in his face

maybe Deon screwed it up, but it was a funky playcall from the beginning, all exasperated because it probably would have been 4th and inches and even a 1st down on the play, if they didn't call that stupid toss to TO