Gary Patterson Beginning of the End?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
As a TCU alumni and fan he’s brought TCU to levels not seen since the early 20th century but the last 2-3 years his secondary has gotten torched and now there is no offense to sustain shootouts. SMU and Iowa St have taken it to them! Maybe his style is starting to wear

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
No QB, no chance. They had a good run with Boykin and Kenny Hill but until he gets his next QB, they're going to struggle. They have too many QBs in the mix to be the "future". I think Justin Rogers was the most talented of the group but he hurt his knee his senior year in HS and has been recovering for the last 2 years. If he ever gets fully healthy then he deserves a shot but then they also have Matt Baldwin (transfer from Ohio State)

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
No QB, no chance. They had a good run with Boykin and Kenny Hill but until he gets his next QB, they're going to struggle. They have too many QBs in the mix to be the "future". I think Justin Rogers was the most talented of the group but he hurt his knee his senior year in HS and has been recovering for the last 2 years. If he ever gets fully healthy then he deserves a shot but then they also have Matt Baldwin (transfer from Ohio State)

My issue is more “what happened to Gary’s D?”

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TCU better be very wary of that narrative.
As a Tech fan I heard much the same about Mike Leach.
You maintain 8-10 wins seasons and top 25 yearly then begin to take it for granted.
It shouldn't ever be taken for granted.

Every school in the country now basically runssoem form of Gary P's defense.
That is much like what happened with Leach.
If many schools can recruit to the same style it is harder to find those gems or recruit the perfect system fits.

Offensively they need osmeone hwo can identify and recruit QBs badly.
They have had some really, really bad players come in at QB.
They probably should have just chased anyone Kliff offered tbh. ALL those kids end up D1 starters. --kliff of course just didnt give a crap about any other position.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Patterson should be nowhere near any hotseat for TCU. Gotta be patient, TCU isn't a powerhouse that can win 9+ games every year through key players graduating. They needed a few years to rebuild and develop a new core, which is what these last 2 seasons have been. Looks like they finally found their QB, that's huge for their future. Their goal should just be to win 6-7 games and make it to another bowl with a freshman QB.

As for the defense, it's pretty much impossible to field a dominant defense in the Big XII. What you saw against Texas may be as good as it gets...force key turnovers to make up for the yards and points given up. OU and Texas have better talent on defense and still get torched so yeah, it's just part of being in this conference.