GB-Det game brings up interesting ethical question

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They play Sunday night so they will know whether the skins won or lost. If the skins win, then the loser is out of the playoffs. If that happens, it would be beneficial to both teams to agree beforehand to have a tie game so that both teams would ensure themselves of a playoff berth. Obviously that would raise ethical issues but how is it unethical to do what's in your best interest. So that's the question. Is it ethical to play for a tie if it ensures you make the playoffs. I suppose I come down on the side that it's unethical for teams to agree on anything beforehand but it certainly wouldn't be unethical for either of the teams to make decisions in the game or at the end that would lead to the tie. If it's tied with 2 minutes to go in overtime, a team could run out the clock instead of risking a turnover and losing. I would be fine with that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They play Sunday night so they will know whether the skins won or lost. If the skins win, then the loser is out of the playoffs. If that happens, it would be beneficial to both teams to agree beforehand to have a tie game so that both teams would ensure themselves of a playoff berth. Obviously that would raise ethical issues but how is it unethical to do what's in your best interest. So that's the question. Is it ethical to play for a tie if it ensures you make the playoffs. I suppose I come down on the side that it's unethical for teams to agree on anything beforehand but it certainly wouldn't be unethical for either of the teams to make decisions in the game or at the end that would lead to the tie. If it's tied with 2 minutes to go in overtime, a team could run out the clock instead of risking a turnover and losing. I would be fine with that.

If I was one of those 2 teams I would make the deal then crawfish on it and go for the win late in the game. lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think this is a merge.
3rd thread with same topic

But to answer the OP, no, I don't think it's ethical to collude to tie a game.
My guess is if it was apparent they were doing this, they'd be in big trouble with the league.

Anyway, Detroit is at home for this game. If they win, they play a home playoff game but if they tie, they do not. So Detroit wants to win.

I'm sure with the way Green Bay is playing, the Pack feels they can win outright and get a home wildcard game.

Last edited:

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I dont think there is any love lost between the two, plus the heavy hammer of the NFL will come down mightily if it even appears that such a deal was in place.

Don Corleone

Reaction score

Past players have always said you go for the win and knock your divisional rival out of the playoffs.

IMO that is also why the Giants should play the Commanders hard.

links18

Reaction score
You don't think these teams want to win the division and get a home playoff game? I doubt that

They also don't want to lose and miss the playoffs altogether.

I am not sure there is an ethical dilemma here, but I am sure the league would frown on such collusion and it would lead to much approbation for both teams for years to come.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

No way. Never going to happen. Big time rivals and they will want to know the other team out and win the division.

Could you imagine the Cowboys and Eagles or any other pair of NFCE teams making such an agreement with each other?! Never going to happen.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You don't think these teams want to win the division and get a home playoff game? I doubt that

That's an interesting wrinkle. I suppose the team that would lose the tiebreaker would not want to do the deal or play for the tie. If they had the ball at the end, they certainly would try and win. The team holding the tiebreaker would probably be fine with the tie.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
They will not collude to tie; I think Lions want a home playoff game possibly even a first round bye if Alt and Sea both lose. Tying means they get #6 and will be on the road. That's a tough sell for that team. Better to try to knock out the Packers. Packers would be the only team of the two who would agree to the tie since a tie wins them the division.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It would be a huge black eye on the league so you would never see it happen. Strangely enough it would be no big deal in the "other" football.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I would ask this..

Is there a rule against it? Yes or No? If the answer is No, you make the deal and get into the dance. The Commanders offense can play ball so it might be in the interest of both parties to make a deal IMO.

At this point does a home playoff game mean more then missing the playoffs all together? I would think the answer is no. Just get into the dance

But I hate the skins and would love nothing more then to see both teams tie and knock them out

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They will not collude to tie; I think Lions want a home playoff game possibly even a first round bye if Alt and Sea both lose. Tying means they get #6 and will be on the road. That's a tough sell for that team. Better to try to knock out the Packers. Packers would be the only team of the two who would agree to the tie since a tie wins them the division.

True but losing means they are out completely. Would you rather have a road game or no game?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess next question would be who are you guys rooting for in this game? Green Bay of Detroit?