GB - Thoughts on week 1

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Well, the first thing I feel like I need to say is hopefully after this game the Dak hype train quiets down significantly. Couldn't understand the mind-boggling idea of trying to retire a top 5 all time NFL quarterback in Tony Romo for a rookie who had some success in a couple preseason outings. Romo wins this game easily because he doesn't settle for field goals like a Dak run offense does.

Dak doesn't have a great feel for the game and he doesn't have great ball control. He heaves the ball and hopes for the best. He doesn't have much touch or precision.

That being said the rookie who really disappointed here was Ezekiel Elliot and I have to admit that. He had a great touchdown run, but he didn't run well enough to win this game. The only caveat that I'll give him is that the line didn't seem to have a great game, and the play call didn't do him any favors.

We opened the fourth quarter up 6 and just needed to run the ball, and we had a drive where didn't run the ball once... Absolutely maddening. Then the decision to use Witten on two 3rd-and-longs made no sense. That is the exact time you want to use Dunbar or even Elliott. Dunbar showed later in the game why he is such a valuable member of the team. People who wanted to force him out were clueless.

Playcall didn't help Elliott and it didn't help Bryant. Linehan had an absolutely terrible game here.

Terrance Williams continues to show that he is a boneheaded guy. He runs out of bounds and Bailey almost certainly nails the field goal from where they were. Some people have said to cut him, but honestly, at this point, I'd just demote him for Butler.

A lot of people are mad at Marinelli, but you have to realize what he is working with, which isn't much. He called a pretty good game with the cards he was dealt. You add Gregory, McClain, and Lawrence to that game and obviously the defense would have performed better. He held the Giants to 20, not bad in my opinion.

The next 3 games should be easier, and as long as we go 2-2 in the first 4 games, I think this defense comes back stronger with at least the return of Lawrence. Elliott will put things together, I guarantee it.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Where have you been? Romo's offense settles for a ton of field goals. Wake up!! The WR's are not very good

Bluefin

Reaction score
Oh and let me say once again for the record that Doug Free is single handily hindering our ability to be an elite offense.

I'd like to acquire another OT in the off-season to prepare for life without Doug Free in 2017.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Jason's offense is all about FGs.

The play calling was predictable and the Giants where not going to allow the running game to get going no matter what.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have a great feel for the game and he doesn't have great ball control. He heaves the ball and hopes for the best. He doesn't have much touch or precision.

And that can certainly get him in trouble with throws in the middle of the field.

But I do expect Dez Bryant to make those plays.

That being said the rookie who really disappointed here was Ezekiel Elliot and I have to admit that. He had a great touchdown run, but he didn't run well enough to win this game. The only caveat that I'll give him is that the line didn't seem to have a great game, and the play call didn't do him any favors.

I'm not down on Eze, but I would have given Alfred Morris more snaps today and in the month of September to lighten the rookie's burden.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
" top 5 all time NFL quarterback in Tony Romo"

Stopped reading after that. And I'm a huge Romo fan.