Gems of the 09 season

dfense

Reaction score
Miles Austin - What a story. Nobody to Pro Bowl in one season. Great hands and snags the ball out of the air. Everytime someone compares TO to Roy Williams, I just think Dallas has a really expensive #2 receiver. Williams has already surpassed Crayton's stats as a #2 from last year, and Crayton is putting up almost identical numbers as he did last year, but in the slot. So you can argue the Cowboys have upgraded every receiver position from last year. ;)

Doug Free - Watching him in the preseason, you'd have thought he was a classic JAG. But he's turned into a very serviceable to above average RT in just a few starts. He definitely moves better than Columbo. If only he can develop that same mean streak. He hustles, and thats a great trait. I was hoping I wouldn't notice him, because that's generally bad when you hear a new guys name called. But he's done well.

It's also good news that a lineman drafted in the last few years has actually panned out. Especially since both tackle spots are beginning to show age and looking for just a LT should be alot easier than both. Also taking out a Commander always gets a gold star in my book.

John Phillips - He's played well in the time he's been given, albeit simple blocking and short outlet routes. And since Martellous (in my opinion) is not a team guy and is one or two stupid antics away from trade bait. It's nice to know Phillips is there.

Replacing 50% of the secondary and it has really worked. When's the last time you saw someone catch a 50 yard TD? Sensabaugh and Jenkins have been gold. Heck, they even make Hamlin look good. TE's around the league can't circle the Dallas game as one to look forward to anymore.

Wades guys - Could the Cowboys have landed better FA's in Brooking and Olshansky? Brooking has brought intensity and accountability to a unit that sorely needed it. Igor, although their stats are about the same, brings it alot more, every down than Canty ever did. And at a fraction of the price. If you watch footage of the Dline the last couple of years, you can see Canty never gets the push the other four rushers got. His few sacks came when the QB was chased to him at the line. Canty would lock onto the guard and that would be it. Igor's got what Canty never had.

Do you think the Gmen would like a do over there?

7footer

Reaction score
Couldn't argue with any of that!

Miles Austin was truly the shocker of the season....Who'd of thought he would replace the production of T.O., even without starting the first four games of the season?

Free has been doing much better than I ever thought he would.

Spencer has really been coming on strong lately...

Jenkins has gone from fighting for a starting job, to being our best corner, and in my opinion one of the top 5 in the league! I think he'll be THE BEST by next season!

Beuhler has been everything we could've hoped for when we drafted him.

And Ogletree may be our number two receiver by the end of next season!

Those would be my picks for unexpected 09 Gems.

Biggest stinkers of 09:

Roy "can't catch" Williams...I tried and tried supporting him, but he made me look like a fool one time too many.

Folk...From hero to zero in a matter of one season. I'm sorry it happended this way, I thought he would be our kicker for many years to come.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
dfense;3183177 said:
Do you think the Gmen would like a do over there?

Not off of just this year. He was hurt a lot and was never 100%. If he comes back next year at 100% and plays well, no do over.

sk0aL

Reaction score
It amazes me how this season has flown by. Seems like yesterday we were kicking things off in Tampa Bay sweating bullets over our run defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sk0aL;3183236 said:
It amazes me how this season has flown by. Seems like yesterday we were kicking things off in Tampa Bay sweating bullets over our run defense.

Not 'we'. 'Some'.

gmb85

Reaction score
I want to add Coach D, the Special teams coach. He had to deal with that building collapsing on him but then still coming to work. He has improved the special teams this year.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];3183224 said:
Not off of just this year. He was hurt a lot and was never 100%. If he comes back next year at 100% and plays well, no do over.

Congrats on a fine season Tom. As a Cowboys fan in Jersey, this is heaven.
Canty is solid, but not even close to worth what he was paid.

Out of curiosity, what are your feelings on Big Mouth Baby Brandon?
Do you like him? Think he's an overrated jerk? I'm serious. I don't think I've ever disliked a player as much. I think Bradshaw is better.

Look at the bright side Tom, all of your players will probably be better golfers by next year.

:D

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];3183224 said:

I almost gagged on my food when I heard how much the Giants are paying Canty. No way he should have been paid that much. His upside will never equate to that price tag.