Get help. Bring in someone

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not saying these DT can't play better because they can, but I'm almost through rewatching the first half of yesterday game, and the constant issue in the run game I'm seeing is Micah...a few plays really stick out to me.

• One was with 7:04 in the second quarter. Bell blitzes off the edge, the rest of the DLine slants away from the blitz and Micah just gets shielded off like it was nothing leading to a 12 yard gain. I can't say with 100% confidence that it was his gap, but with the DT slanting down and a blitzer off the edge I have to believe Micah was responsible for the inside gap there.
  • Another is the opening play of the game where they run right at Micah, he makes an inside move on the T and simply can't fight back through the block and gets washed right out of the play with ease.
  • 4:18 left in the 2nd quarter Micah and Dlaw both sanding up on the right side Buffalo runs a trap and Micah isn't even aware of it. G/C block down on the DTs, T shields off Dlaw, and Micah gets picked up by the trap guy with absolutely zero awareness of what's going on. Cook runs right through Micahs gap. When the Oline lets you into the backfield untouched like that you have to be aware that you're about to get either a trap, screen, etc.
  • 2:53 left in the 2nd Q Micah is on right side edge, another trap play by Buffalo that works easily. Micah 1v1 vs the RT and makes an odd move where he dips his head and the RT just lets him take himself out of the play. This play was exceptionally bad all around for the defense but had Micah just held his ground it probably goes for a minimal gain, instead he loses contain and gives Cook an easy 9 yards.

The guy might be the best pure pass rusher in the league, but its been an issue time and time again where teams can run right at the guy with ease. I think it's really time to get serious about moving Micah Parsons back to playing LB on 1st down.

Micah seems to have zero feel for playing against the run on the DLine, and he also doesn't seem to have the weight/strength to battle through blocks. The guy is just a better player in space as he doesn't have the body mass to play with these Olinemen in the run game. Not trying to pick on or single out Micah either, this was a let down across the board, but his performance really stuck out to me yesterday, and not for good reasons.
Was a nasty game for Quinn. Its like they had 0 game plan…

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No I completely agree it's time to move Micah off of DE for early downs at times. Use the guy to his strengths, and that may change week to week depending on where the opposing teams oline can be exploited.
No lol. Keep him there, you can't forfeit passrush on early downs. But you have to commit bodies to other gaps.

5th play here, 59 seconds.

Parsons is accountable for 3 gaps lol. There's no player in the NFL who can defend this. He can't play the outside gap because 92 lost leverage and 33 never gets off the ball because he has poor eyes. Maybe you want him to string it out a little better, but it doesn't matter. There are 4 guys blocking 3. They constantly get beat in the run game because of numbers, it's got nothing to do with Micah getting blocked. No matter where/how he defeats a block here, the back has an open lane. I mean, this is a RT pulling and he beats the Mike backer to the outside edge lol. There's no chance for 11.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Suh.... that's it. And that ain't all that great this point in the season.
I would take him at this point. If he is cheap. This would be exactly what JJ would do. A big name. Older and may not be as good but could make stops in the middle and take away the step up in the pocket for opposing qbs…

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
You're blaming Micah for DQ not knowing how to use him.
This. His physical gifts are freakish. By all accounts his work ethic and his motor are also awesome. His problems against the run require coaching. I’m glad that we have him. His presence opens up all sorts of opportunities for this defense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
In January we go into yet another off season where we need to fix the run.

Ongoing goal that doesn't seem to be reachable.
It's almost like fixing the run with defensive personnel isn't possible - because it's not.

You stop the run by investing in your offense. It is the only mechanism that works.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don’t care if he’s flipping burgers. If he has ever stopped the run, thought about stopping the run, or is 400lbs, get him in to tryout. Nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than getting gashed in the run game. Mazi ain’t it, Gallimore ain’t it.
Maybe you didn't notice...but our LBERs can't cover. Buffalo exploited that....any back with some speed...1 on 1 .....that's gonna be a problem for the rest of the year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No lol. Keep him there, you can't forfeit passrush on early downs. But you have to commit bodies to other gaps.

5th play here, 59 seconds.

Parsons is accountable for 3 gaps lol. There's no player in the NFL who can defend this. He can't play the outside gap because 92 lost leverage and 33 never gets off the ball because he has poor eyes. Maybe you want him to string it out a little better, but it doesn't matter. There are 4 guys blocking 3. They constantly get beat in the run game because of numbers, it's got nothing to do with Micah getting blocked. No matter where/how he defeats a block here, the back has an open lane. I mean, this is a RT pulling and he beats the Mike backer to the outside edge lol. There's no chance for 11.

Yeah Ill fully concede that this is not just a Micah Parsons issue, but even from your own video just pause it at .47 seconds and you see Parsons going unblocked. The play you pointed out at .59 seconds I agree completely it was going to be a positive play for buffalo either way, but Parsons is the Edge and needs to keep outside leverage to force the RB to cut it inside where even though they are getting blown off the ball you have bodies there who have a chance. Instead it goes outside with two lead blockers to lead the charge. 1:12 Parsons gets sealed off by one player. Again a situation where the inside gap is massive and not all on parsons, but you want a DE who can close down on that gap without losing outside contain.

I love Micah Parsons, and his value as a pass rusher far outweighs his issues in the run game, but this is not the week to defend the guy. He was a total liability and pretending he wasn't doesnt fix anything.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t care if he’s flipping burgers. If he has ever stopped the run, thought about stopping the run, or is 400lbs, get him in to tryout. Nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than getting gashed in the run game. Mazi ain’t it, Gallimore ain’t it.
The biggest issue was outside containment
400 lb Tackles ain’t going to help that

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah Ill fully concede that this is not just a Micah Parsons issue, but even from your own video just pause it at .47 seconds and you see Parsons going unblocked. The play you pointed out at .59 seconds I agree completely it was going to be a positive play for buffalo either way, but Parsons is the Edge and needs to keep outside leverage to force the RB to cut it inside where even though they are getting blown off the ball you have bodies there who have a chance. Instead it goes outside with two lead blockers to lead the charge. 1:12 Parsons gets sealed off by one player. Again a situation where the inside gap is massive and not all on parsons, but you want a DE who can close down on that gap without losing outside contain.

I love Micah Parsons, and his value as a pass rusher far outweighs his issues in the run game, but this is not the week to defend the guy. He was a total liability and pretending he wasn't doesnt fix anything.
Yes, sometimes he jumps inside too often. At :58, it's the only chance to make a play, and the only way to string it out against a pulling OT like that.
At :47 he has backside contain. The second he starts sprinting down the line to chase is the second that Josh Allen just keeps it. You can't do that.
At 1:12, he has control of his gap on the edge.

He is "winning" his rep and playing assignment football in all 3.

You are wrong about what you think edge players do against the run. Totally unrealistic expectations. You're asking conflicting things.

bigE79

Reaction score
Ro Mac likes his purple drank more than playing football. I’d imagine he’s probably in very poor condition.
Actually he was on with mike fisher,says he is still the same player,works out all the time..my point is, what do we have to lose to check him out.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
If I said it once, I will say it again. Dallas is light at the DE spot. Why Carl Davis was not active in the game is beyond me. Micah needs to go back to MLB to stop the edge runs, and DQ needs to blitz him up the middle every other down. To stop the runs on the edge, you need size and weight around 275+. However, if you make this move, you lose pass-rushing ability. If it were me, I would insert Odighizuwa (sp?) and Lawrence as my edges. I would even consider 3 DTs and 2 edges in run downs with Micah in the middle, leaving CB one-on-one with receivers. Dallas is short of DT on this team, and it's a weak area I fear they will not address. They brought in Hankins but nobody else, when they should have released Gallimore and brought in another DT. It is beyond my understanding why they do not have 3 solid DTs on this team. I think Odighizuwa is talented enough to play end and generate a decent rush. He is big enough to set the edge. This is how the Ravens are configured. This is why I donot like the 4-3, or nickel that we play. I have always like the 3-4, because you can cover your weakness with diverse formations and personnel based on the situation of the game. This is th reason BP moved to a 3-4. To cover your wekeness. Just my opinion though.

I think what is missing is a running game on the offensive side of the ball as well. When Dak struggles, we need to go with the running game until his 'deer in the headlights' facial expression subsides. I think MM and DQ think they are smarter than anybody else and are not covering up their weaknesses.