Get the first down!

fansince68

Reaction score
Can we stop with the long throws in these 3rd down situations?? Get a new set of downs. 3rd and 5 throw it for 6 or take off running. Get the dam first down! I don’t care that you have 1 on 1 on the outside. This is a major pet peeve! Move the sticks!!!! I understand taking that chance on occasion but that first down needs to be more of a priority than looking for the home run!

if it’s 3rd and 2 and you’re throwing 30 yards down the field it’s a problem!
OMG!!!, I've been saying the same thing. Thank you for posting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Can we stop with the long throws in these 3rd down situations?? Get a new set of downs. 3rd and 5 throw it for 6 or take off running. Get the dam first down! I don’t care that you have 1 on 1 on the outside. This is a major pet peeve! Move the sticks!!!! I understand taking that chance on occasion but that first down needs to be more of a priority than looking for the home run!

I disagree. Some of those were easy TD's and Dak simply blew it. And on a few the short pass was just covered. Denver did a great job in pass coverage.

kskboys

Reaction score

3rd and 2? How about 4th and 2?!!!

Seriously, cut the cutesy play calling and get the 1st. We played stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score
You throw to the open man
If there is more than one open you throw to the one who has the best chance to score
We’ve been very good at throwing down field until Sunday
Long passes are low percentage plays.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dak had been checking down and taking what the defense offers more this year than ever, so without seeing the whole field, I’m guessing the defense is using extra guys down low to blanket the options while also supporting the run and those long passes are going towards single coverage after seeing no options down lower.

Just as we see more and more teams giving our TE attention, the season is all about adapting and changing throughout the season.

Big_D

Reaction score
3rd and 2? How about 4th and 2?!!!

Seriously, cut the cutesy play calling and get the 1st. We played stupid.

Yup. Any short yardage situation where the 1st down is a necessity. Not every play is a home run. Be a little more methodical.

Shane612

Reaction score
I like going for it on 4th and short. I think the odds favor the offense.
4th and 3, or more, you gotta kick.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I was seeing this also but remeber, we are seeing it last game because it wasn't connecting....in games we won the plays looked brilliant....its the "Clear eye view" you get when you lose a game compared to winning one. I think the QB/WR literally blew like 7 first downs with drops and missed passes...it was just a bad game.

blueblood70

Reaction score

dak missed 4 big plays with WO receivers..thats the issue not the call or the read..

now i don't like the behind the sticks throws and runs on 3rd and 4th down need to have them all ahead of the chains..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You throw to the open man
If there is more than one open you throw to the one who has the best chance to score
We’ve been very good at throwing down field until Sunday
Yes, this is true. But Dak wasn't feeling it, so he should have gone with the best odds of a reception. I was yelling at the TV when I saw him rolling right with an open man, but decided to go for broke and overthrew again l.

conner01

Reaction score
Yes, this is true. But Dak wasn't feeling it, so he should have gone with the best odds of a reception. I was yelling at the TV when I saw him rolling right with an open man, but decided to go for broke and overthrew again l.
He wasn’t sharp for sure
Hopefully he and the rest of the team is better this week