Get used to mediocrity...

visionary

Reaction score
I am sorry to say this guys. i was one of bill's biggest fans when he came here initially but i have been very disappointed. it has surprised me why it is so difficult for parcells to learn what he has taught to his assistants: hire quality people and then supervise them but trust them. let them do their jobs. i have sat back and watched the coaching moves made by us and other teams and i have to say we get a failing grade. i have always believed that a strong leader surrounds him/herself with quality personnel and not just yes-men . i agree with many of the other posters that no experienced person is willing to come to dallas and be parcell's yes-man if he has other options. no one already well thought of and 'on the rise' will come here and work with parcells with his 'choke hold' on play calling and game planning (i thought that was "over-rated" anyway). while the skins will have greg williams and al saunders game planning for them we will have mike zimmer and (likely) tony sparano/parcells (at this point those of you that need to throw up are welcome to take a break). winning in the NFL requires talented players AND good coaching. to be fair, BP has upgraded the talent on our team tremendously but i really dont think that alone will be enough to allow us to beat teams in the coming years. game planning, coaching, and strategy are not over-rated, they are an integral part of the commitment/effort to win. so like i said at the beginning (with a heavy heart), get used to mediocrity while BP is here. what a waste of 4 years and a hall of fame HC. Oh, what might have been.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
visionary said:
I am sorry to say this guys. i was one of bill's biggest fans when he came here initially but i have been very disappointed. it has surprised me why it is so difficult for parcells to learn what he has taught to his assistants: hire quality people and then supervise them but trust them. let them do their jobs. i have sat back and watched the coaching moves made by us and other teams and i have to say we get a failing grade. i have always believed that a strong leader surrounds him/herself with quality personnel and not just yes-men . i agree with many of the other posters that no experienced person is willing to come to dallas and be parcell's yes-man if he has other options. no one already well thought of and 'on the rise' will come here and work with parcells with his 'choke hold' on play calling and game planning (i thought that was "over-rated" anyway). while the skins will have greg williams and al saunders game planning for them we will have mike zimmer and (likely) tony sparano/parcells (at this point those of you that need to throw up are welcome to take a break). winning in the NFL requires talented players AND good coaching. to be fair, BP has upgraded the talent on our team tremendously but i really dont think that alone will be enough to allow us to beat teams in the coming years. game planning, coaching, and strategy are not over-rated, they are an integral part of the commitment/effort to win. so like i said at the beginning (with a heay heart), get used to mediocrity while BP is here. what a waste of 4 years and a hall of fame HC. Oh, what might have been.

hmmm. you know nothing about what goes on with his staff -- but they all are yes men. You know, guys like Todd Haley don't strike me as yes men.

visionary

Reaction score
abersonc, this is not a flame thread. i have been reading this board for a long time a respect your posts. my point is that we have 2 years with parcells and a very good (if not great) group of players, do we really want to waste these 2 years with a DC who is learning a new system and an OC who is a rookie and is learning the ropes. do we really think that BP can give the requisite time to zimmer (learning a new system) and the new OC where if BP is to call the plays he will have to spend the bulk of his time.
having said all this, if he hires hennings (from carolina) i will be very happy.
my only point is that we could have done a lot better, i gues some of it is hindsight but not all of it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
abersonc said:
hmmm. you know nothing about what goes on with his staff -- but they all are yes men. You know, guys like Todd Haley don't strike me as yes men.

is that the one who parcells hit to push away who kinda had a "sir yes sir!" look on his face.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc said:

no, but he's a guy, who like many on this staff probably couldnt a job elsewhere...

nobody would let a coach slap him around like Parcells did on TV and stay here

David

Kilyin

Reaction score
visionary said:
abersonc, this is not a flame thread. i have been reading this board for a long time a respect your posts.

You had me until that part.

parchy

Reaction score
iceberg said:
is that the one who parcells hit to push away who kinda had a "sir yes sir!" look on his face.

Er... if you got judo chopped by one of the 10 most prestigious coaches in NFL history and your name is "Todd Haley," I think you'd have that look on your face too.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
no, but he's a guy, who like many on this staff probably couldnt a job elsewhere...

nobody would let a coach slap him around like Parcells did on TV and stay here

David

I've come to find folks on this board poor judges of coaching talent. Payton was widely slammed here - yet, he interview for several HC jobs and is now head honcho in NO. Zimmer was slammed equally -- perhaps even more -- and he managed a HC interview. Another favorite board cry was "Soporano sucks." But Payton wanted to take him to NO.

Just not going to take any of these evaluations seriously. Since the folks who do matter -- you know the NFL guys -- clearly evaluate these dudes differently.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
You had me until that part.

Kil -- you are just mad b/c I own you in every argument. don't worry sweetie -- I'll let you win one sometime.

Kilyin

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Kil -- you are just mad b/c I own you in every argument. don't worry sweetie -- I'll let you win one sometime.

I knew that one would get you. And let's not pretend you won anything either.